Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Looking for New Traditions

Discussion in 'Traditions & Memories' started by sgrover, Nov 12, 2014.

1. sgrover

sgrover MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

For the past several years, I've tried something new each year, which I guess is now turning into a tradition itself. Some I may never do again, others I am hoping will turn into traditions. A few years back I made a plum pudding. I loved it, no one else in the family did, so, I won't make that again. Then I made mulled wine. That was OK, but we're not big wine drinkers, so I won't do that again. Then I bought a little rolling pin with designs on it, and made shortbread cookies. They turned out pretty good, you couldn't see the design really well, but they tasted good! So I might make those again. Last year I roasted chestnuts, in the oven, not on an open fire, but still, everyone liked those, so I'll probably do them again this year.

Long story short, I'm looking for something new to try this year. It doesn't have to be food, although that's what all my past ones seem to have been. Any ideas?

5 people like this.
  2. snowflake22

snowflake22 *Harlowe's Mom* MMC Lifer Louann Jeffries Award

Do you guys have Christmas movie traditions?
    My husband & I watch certain Xmas movies on Christmas Eve & Christmas Day. We also drive around & look at Christmas lights while sipping hot cocoa, play holiday board games, etc. And try to hit a Christmas concert along the way! Hope some of these help [emoji319]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 people like this.
  3. trackrebel

trackrebel candy cane hustla MMC Lifer

We started to sing Happy Birthday for Jesus a few years ago

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

4 people like this.
  4. Holiday

Holiday North Pole Resident MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum

What about making a "Yule Log"? I have never done that, but it's something I am interested in trying! :grin: There are several recipes on allrecipes.com & other websites too. Good luck! Let us know if you come up with something!! So exciting!!

:snowball:

3 people like this.
  5. RadioJonD

RadioJonD ♪♫Mistletoe Mix-ologist♫♪ MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum Kringle Radio DJ Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum Santa's Elf

Listen to the Radio!!

Deprive yourself of sleep for a couple of days!!

Or just plan a time to drop in for a few minutes/hours to either or both Christmas twenty-four hour marathon radio shows.

'The Night Before' on WXPN' (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) hosted by Robert Drake will crank up for the twenty-first year at Midnight Eastern Christmas Eve.

Jon Solomon's twenty-five hours (expanded by one hour last year!) kicks off Christmas Eve at 6pm Eastern on WPRB Princeton, New Jersey.

One may log in to a live webcam and chat at both places. Look for me! I'm in and out as time allows.

Of course you need to be tuned in to Kringle Radio too!!!

Traditions you can sink your ears into!

6. redkaga

redkaga Elf Supervisor MMC Lifer

I wondering if the rolling pin with designs is a springerle rolling pin. If so, you should try making springerle cookies. Losing the design shouldn't be much of an issue if you following one of the many springerle recipes you can find online.

If you want to continue the tradition of baking something, I'd suggest a fruitcake. Not the kind with the candied fruit, but one with a variety of dried fruits like dates, raisins, currants, and maybe even blueberries. My great aunt had an old family recipe and an old stoneware bowl that she gave us only if we promised to make the fruitcake in that same bowl that was passed down to her. I don't make it every year, but when I do it's in that bowl.

I agree that a drive to look at lights is a great activity, especially if it includes kids. We usually scout locations in the early part of December. Then one day around mid-month the kids put on their PJs and and cue up our favorite tracks on the ipod and just drive around.

We've started having our own movie marathon on Christmas Eve. My wife and I will usually work on last minute wrapping or baking while the kids watch an endless string of Christmas movies and TV specials.

7. HollyJolly

HollyJolly Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant MMC Lifer MMC Donor Christmas Card Exchanger

What holiday board games?

3 people like this.
  8. snowflake22

Holiday Scrabble, Rudolph Monopoly, Christmas Charades, etc.
    You can go to Amazon and find a bunch! They're awesome!

:rudolph:

5 people like this.
  9. SnowflakeMom

SnowflakeMom Christmasologist MMC Lifer

Those sound so cute...I am going to look for some...my kids would love them and me too of course..cheesy

3 people like this.
  10. snowflake22

Hope you guys enjoy!
    My husband and I have fun with them, especially when our nieces and nephews come over! Or when we host a holiday party, the charades are a hoot! [emoji319][emoji320]

2 people like this.
  11. whychristmas

whychristmas Webmaster Partner, <a href="http://www.whychristma MMC Lifer MMC Emeritus Member MMC Partner

2 people like this.
  12. sgrover

sgrover MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

These are some great ideas. We do have certain movies that we have to see every year, and on Christmas Eve/Day when it's 24 hours of A Christmas Story on, I forget which station, TCM maybe? Well anyway, that's on. We do go see the big display of holiday lights at Olin Park in Madison, it's not far from where my in-laws live, and we're usually out there at some point, so we always go there on the way home.

When the kids were little we did do the birthday cake for baby Jesus (the year my daughter was 3, I think, was a hoot because she was telling everyone that Jesus was coming to our house for birthday cake and ice cream), but sadly as they got older that sort of went away. Well, hopefully grandkids will be in the not so distant future!

I had a mincemeat pie once, loved it, maybe I'll look into that, or the Yule Log would be neat too. I'll look up those springerle cookies too, maybe they'd turn out prettier than my shortbread cookies. That fruit cake sounds sort of like what my plum pudding was like, it's not really a pudding, it's a very heavy, moist cake with raisins and cranberries and dates, with a sauce that was poured over it. I'll see if I can find that recipe again. Like I said, I loved it, but no one else in the family would.

3 people like this.
  13. snowflake22

Your traditions sound really nice, Sandy!

We love watching the A Christmas Story marathon, too! I think it's TBS!

1 person likes this.
  14. novelist

novelist Santa's Sleigh Designer MMC Lifer

:dance:What about making a Christmas punch on whichever day you celebrate Christmas. Hot Cider is another idea.

1 person likes this.
  15. AuntieMistletoeDear

AuntieMistletoeDear MMC Hostess of Christmas Online MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum 2018 Ornament Exchanger

:hello: I think it's great that you try to add something new each year, Sandy. We're so traditional the only thing that changes now and then are the faces that gather at my parent place on Christmas Eve when we light the annual luminaries. Some of our Christmas guests believe the candles are lighting the way for the Christ child while others believe it's a runway for Santa. My parents and their neighbours light up the snow banks all the way up their street and it provides a warm and bright feeling. My parents have extra ones that light the walkway to their door.
    You can see an image of it in the photo in my signature. We put snow in them to weigh them down. A few times they were lit for Christmas in July using sand and some white sugar. The candles usually burn all night and when my husband and I arrive the next morning to open presents a few of them are still glowing. You might want to try lighting the way this year.

:rudolph: I have quite a few Christmas films and specials on DVD and VHS, yet I still find myself watching them when they come on TV and often sit through the Christmas themed ads as well.

Although I don't eat sweets, I make fudge and chocolates for the gang at work.

This year, I'm baking a few extra treats and bringing one batch to my parents to share with their visitors over the holidays and the other ones I am giving to the Firefighters, Ambulance Drivers and Police Officers who have to work on Christmas Day and Boxing Day instead of being with their families. One of my brothers asked that we don't exchange gifts anymore several years ago so he could spend his money on his wife and kids so I buy something I would have given him as a child and donate it to a local charity for someone else's child to enjoy. Perhaps a tradition of giving to others would be worth exploring.

2 people like this.
  16. snowflake22

Those are some lovely things to do, Auntie!

1 person likes this.
  17. AuntieMistletoeDear

AuntieMistletoeDear MMC Hostess of Christmas Online MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum 2018 Ornament Exchanger

:hi: Thank you, Snowflake.

I remember when I was growing up how tough some of my friends had it, financially. My brothers and I took over four hours to open our presents and we'd race to the phone to share what we got with others and two of my calls were an eye-opener for me because I realized that not everybody had as many gifts under their tree. When I was old enough to share something, I did.

As for the thank you goodies to the local heroes, that's been something I've wanted to for years, I did it once, but it didn't continue as a tradition. With the murders of the two army reserve officers (1 in Quebec, the other in Ottawa), I feel more compelled than ever to say thanks for keeping us safe and not take their work for granted. My dad was a Mountie before I was born and I guess the tragedy hit close to home.

2 people like this.
  18. snowflake22

I'm sure they'll appreciate it very much!

I truly believe Christmas is a season of giving, not just gifts, but giving your time and love to others.

2 people like this.
  19. merrybell

merrybell Twinkle Light Checker Merry Forums Member

2 people like this.
  20. AuntieMistletoeDear

:yahoo: I remember doing that with my family the weekend before Christmas and in more recent years, I dragged my husband out to look at the lights.

I gave myself a Christmas gift by getting my license two years ago so now I have the freedom to drive myself around. I always feel a bit odd about jumping out of the car to take photos, but I'm sure the reason people decorate the outside of their homes is to give others joy not just for themselves to admire.

If I get some good shots this year, I'll share them in the Christmas Blossoms thread.

2 people like this.