Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Memory from an old-fashioned Department Store Christmas

Discussion in 'Traditions & Memories' started by Santa Johnny Boy, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Santa Johnny Boy

Santa Johnny Boy Downtown Pittsburgh Santa MMC Lifer

The great thing about growing up in the 1960's - Department stores really went all-out on their Christmas displays, not only in store windows, but inside, too.

Here's a video of an in-store puppet show that was performed a few times a day at Hess's department store in Allentown, PA. "Pip, the Mouse Before Christmas", was created by George Creegan of Steubenville, Ohio in 1962. He also had a daily children's TV show, "Creegan & Crow" that played locally in Steubenville.

This kind of stuff brings back great memories for me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I59anujNuDk&feature=player_embedded

2. joyful

joyful MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

In my hometown we had an elite department store that had huge windows in front and every Christmas they had elaborate window displays. What a treat for kids growing up in the 50's/60's. This store also wrapped and delivered gifts for customers a service that is very rare today.

4 people like this.
  3. Holiday

Holiday North Pole Resident MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum

TOOO CUTE! thanks for sharing! :grin:

2 people like this.
  4. XmasDreams

XmasDreams North Pole Network Help MMC Lifer MMC Donor ATC Alum Christmas Crew

Loved this thank you so much for sharing.

2 people like this.
  5. trackrebel

trackrebel candy cane hustla MMC Lifer

I love stuff like this....now i am born in81..... But even then....i do remember our local
    departement store Kaufhof always had the most beautifull window display....and the toy area was off the hook......it has gotten less and less over the year.....and more elegant....i would rather use the word boring and stupid tho...lol

2 people like this.
  6. whitney37354

whitney37354 Rudolph's Groomer MMC Lifer

I grew up in the 70's & 80's. I would go to the department store in town with my mom & grandmother. They had a Santa on the wall in the back of the men's department. His eyes moved back & forth. They had free gift wrapping year round. I learned to wrap gifts by watching them! They had the blow mold candles in the front windows. I've always wanted a set for my porch. Silver Bells is my favorite Christmas song. I remember the shopping trips, "City sidewalks, busy sidewalks, dressed in holiday style..." "even stop lights blink a bright red & green, as the shoppers rush home with their treasures..."

2 people like this.
  7. katwkittens

katwkittens Tinsel Straightener Merry Forums Member

Growing up as a military brat we didn't stay anywhere for long, so visiting my grandparents in the northeast for the holidays was such a treat. Both sets had lived there most of their lives in the same homes, my grandfather had built his from local mountain stone. The longevity was such a contrast to my very nomadic life.

My grandfather, a very large and gruff man...head honcho of a local factory and big cigar affectionado would take me into the city (NYC) at Christmas. My grandmother nor parents would not go, just me and my grandfather. I would tag along behind him, running usually out of breath since he took such big strides.

He always made sure to have seats for the Radio City Music Hall Spectacular, lunch and dinner out, a trip through the department stores with all their wonderous Christmas displays and a fun train ride home. Every year I was beyond surprised that Santa KNEW HIM and was expecting me! He made sure the hot chocolate was just right, not too hot and always knew just what I wanted for Christmas.

It made the Christmas' with my dad gone, overseas and deployed bearable and obviously, memorable. My grandfather was larger than life to me, and the department stores he took me to sparkled brighter than any child could imagine or I as an adult have ever seen since.

Kat

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
    7 people like this.
  8. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Kringle Radio DJ Louann Jeffries Award Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Crew Santa's Elf

What marvelous memories! Thank you!

2 people like this.
  9. Petronius

Petronius Elf Supervisor Merry Forums Member

Pip the Mouse was pleasant to watch. It was informative to learn that Pip was a house mouse.