Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Merry Christmas bill passes in Texas

Discussion in 'Christmas Controversy & Opinion' started by Storeytime, May 18, 2013.

1. Storeytime

Storeytime Santa's Sleigh Designer MMC Lifer Santa's Elf Christmas Crew

From Texas Values blog:

"Today HB 308, the “Merry Christmas” Bill, received final passage by the Texas Senate and is now headed to Gov. Perry’s desk. HB 308 makes it clear that public schools and their staff are permitted to acknowledge and educate students about historic and cultural roots of traditional winter celebrations and holidays such as Christmas, Hanukkah and others, and with school displays that can include Christmas trees, a Menorah, a Nativity scene, Santa Claus, Reindeer and more."

"The legislation also makes it clear that school districts, staff, and students are permitted to use greetings such as “Merry Christmas,” “Happy Hanukkah,” “Happy Holidays” or others. Christmas has been recognized as a federal holiday by the United States since the 1870s."

2. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award Kringle Radio DJ

Hooray for Texas! Good job! I'd like to see other states follow their lead.

3. Christmasstar

Christmasstar one Crazy Canadian ! MMC Lifer

kind of sad they have to make a law about something that should be a given in this age of "all inclusive" preaching that is done.
    I am happy to hear they are doing this.

snowflake22 and sugar142286 like this.
  4. ballcoach

ballcoach Guest

Good for Texas!!!!!

5. Christmas-A-Holic

Christmas-A-Holic MMC Goodwill Ambassador MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew

Glad to hear this! Makes me proud to be a Texan! =)

This is a common Christmas yard decor you see here.

[​IMG]

6. sugar142286

sugar142286 North Pole's RN MMC Lifer

This is awesome and I am so glad to see Texas doing this. Merry Christmas to Texas! :wiggy:

1 person likes this.
  7. trackrebel

trackrebel candy cane hustla MMC Lifer

Very nice!!!!!!

Gesendet von meinem LT18i mit Tapatalk 4

2 people like this.
  8. DoubleA

DoubleA Next in line to Mr. Claus MMC Lifer Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum

Well done Gov. Perry and Texas!

9. ballcoach

ballcoach Guest

Wonderful! A state that realizes that our constitution says "freedom of religion" and not "freedom from religion....and every little thing that drive you nuts.""

10. kizzy

kizzy Santa Clausologist Merry Forums Member

on the news here last week, the bbc did a whole report that Texas was the fastest developing state and thousands of people were moving their whole family tot he state due to cheap land and property prices and it's good education systems. I think this is a brilliant bonus Merry Christmas Texas!!!

1 person likes this.
  11. CGYager

CGYager Santa's Helper in South Dakota MMC Emeritus Member

Let's Keep the Spirit Alive

In a country where so many things seems to be going wrong, it's nice to see states (and government officials) recognize some form of family, faith and tradition. Good job Texas and let's hope it gets through on the first try.