Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

NECCO will probably be going out of business

Discussion in 'Christmas Food' started by MerryCarey, Apr 18, 2018.

1. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North Christmas Crew MMC Lifer Knights in the Service of Santa MMC Donor Louann Jeffries Award

New England candy-maker NECCO is headed for bankruptcy and may be out of business in May 2018. They're most famous for NECCO wafers and Conversation Hearts, but what we'll miss most are Sky Bars and Haviland Mints. Oh, the joy of seeing the first box of Haviland Orange Mints on the shelf each year! They came out only during the Christmas season. Thin mints covered in dark chocolate with a sweet, orangey, minty center. (They also made raspberry, but take my word for it: you didn't miss anything if you missed those. Ugh.)

Word is that NECCO has started a GoFundMe to save the company, but if they're saved, they're likely to drop their line of chocolate candies. :(

So we bought a box of Sky Bars for old times' sake, and ordered some Haviland Orange Mints online---we'll freeze a box of those to keep for this coming Christmas season. Then it's farewell to good old Sky Bars and Orange Mints.

sky-bar-candy-bars-128433-ic1.jpg

orange mints.jpg

Holiday likes this.
  2. Holiday

Holiday North Pole Resident MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum

I always remember you talking about the orange mints! Sorry to hear! :(

3. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North Christmas Crew MMC Lifer Knights in the Service of Santa MMC Donor Louann Jeffries Award

Thanks---it's always hard to lose a Christmas tradition, however small.

We took a short trip to Vermont last October and were delighted to see Orange Mints already on the shelves! We took several boxes back home---ate some and froze some for later. They're almost gone now.

It's the wafers most people seem to be worried about. I saw an article that said a woman offered an online candy dealer her car for their entire remaining stock of NECCO wafers. (She can have 'em!)

Holiday likes this.
  4. Holiday

You are right about it being sad to lose a Christmas tradition - no matter how big or small.

I wonder if there is a copycat recipe out there somewhere for the orange mints?

Maybe there's a chance the company will be saved & the orange mints return at Christmas! xx

MerryCarey likes this.
  5. MerryCarey

If the company is saved, word is that they will keep making the wafers and Conversation Hearts, but not their line of chocolate candies. So even if they're saved, we lose Sky Bars and Orange Mints.

Walgreen's had an Orange Mints knockoff one year, so someone will probably step in with a reasonable facsimile. But they won't be Havilands, you know?

Holiday likes this.
  6. Holiday

Yep, I understand! :(

MerryCarey likes this.
  7. angelpugs

angelpugs Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant Christmas Crew MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

Yes,i know it is sad we have a few shops that have these so i stocked up couldn't help it we always loved these have to get them while you can.

MerryCarey and Holiday like this.
  8. Meceka

Meceka MMC Associate Editor Christmas Crew MMC Lifer Knights in the Service of Santa MMC Donor Louann Jeffries Award

Those orange mints are yummy ~ hope the company can turn around!

Holiday and MerryCarey like this.