Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

New Years Eve Traditions

Discussion in 'Christmas Countdown' started by xmastidings, Dec 31, 2014.

1. xmastidings

xmastidings Santa's Mentor MMC Lifer MMC Donor Christmas Card Exchanger 2018 Ornament Exchanger

What is your New Years Eve tradition? How do you like to spend it? and with anyone special?

I like to be at home, off the roads, with the wife and family, to bring in the New year, have some special treats and such....

2. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Kringle Radio DJ Louann Jeffries Award Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Crew Santa's Elf

Us too … Mr. and I like to stay home and off the roads. For us it's a big-screen movie marathon night. We screen 16mm and video from early evening until nearly midnight, then watch the ball drop in Times Square, then watch the Boston First Night fireworks on TV. We've already started this year's marathon---we're taking a short break for dinner now before resuming. One feature (Three Sons, 1939) and one short (Range Rhythm, 1942) so far, both on 16mm. Plus before we went downstairs we watched a New Year's Eve episode of Mrs. Brown's Boys (a fracturingly funny show on BBC Scotland). We each have special snacks that we only indulge in on New Year's Eve.

I hope everyone has a happy, healthy, and prosperous 2015!

3. HollyJolly

HollyJolly Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant MMC Lifer MMC Donor Christmas Card Exchanger

Never been much into new years as a celebration. Just another day to me. However, we also don't like being on the road with all of the drunks so as a tradition we usually stay home. We're still celebrating Christmas!

4. xmas365

xmas365 Cotton Headed Ninny Muggins MMC Lifer

That is the same exact thing we do. The comfort of home with friends and family, and my Christmas decorations. cheesy

5. sugar142286

sugar142286 North Pole's RN MMC Lifer

We don't have a tradition per se in our house hold - I work every other NYE, so it just depends if I work and what DH is working. If we're not working, we get together at one of our family members house for a get together. We always go to mass too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. xmastidings

xmastidings Santa's Mentor MMC Lifer MMC Donor Christmas Card Exchanger 2018 Ornament Exchanger

I was just talking about that with my grandfather, Here I am, now 51 and my wife is 44. We used to go out all the time when we were younger, or hold some type of big New Years blow-out, but no more. First off, it's not worth it, to feel like a dog for 2 days, not worth it to get pulled over, have a car accident or something.

I find it more rewarding to spend New Years Eve with the ones that I love the most, instead of a bunch of strangers or people that you see twice a year, stay at home, relax in my stretchy pj pants, and have some nice tasty treats.....

7. sugar142286

sugar142286 North Pole's RN MMC Lifer

I couldn't agree with you more!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Christmas-A-Holic

Christmas-A-Holic MMC Goodwill Ambassador MMC Lifer MMC Donor Christmas Crew Santa's Elf

Always at home with family and usually asleep before midnight. We were asleep by 9:00 pm this year! :lol:

9. xmastidings

I only made it past midnight only because I was here, logged into to MMC. If it wasn't for that fact alone, I would have been done way before midnight! There really wasn't much that interested me on TV, except for the Three Stooges Marathon and the wife was checking for holes in her eyelids by around 10:30. So, I kept myself entertained with whomever was logged in with me....

10. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Kringle Radio DJ Louann Jeffries Award Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Crew Santa's Elf

Do you have a Stooges marathon in Maryland?? I only heard of that after I moved to Massachusetts.

In the 1970s, channel 20 in D.C. ran a Marx Brothers marathon on New Year's Eve for several years, and it's a great memory! When I was old enough to stay home without a babysitter, and my parents went to their annual New Year's Eve card party, I had the house to myself and could watch the Marx Brothers to my heart's content! I rarely saw them the rest of the year because I didn't have my own TV and my mom hated them.

11. xmastidings

I remember, (I Loved that)!!!!!

I didn't realize or know before hand that it was going to be on TV, I started surfing thru the Direct TV guide, and I came across it on IFC; Independent Film Channel. It was a fluke that I found it, because I had never even heard of that channel before. I ended up staying there on that channel for the rest of the night.

12. MerryCarey

Up here it's on channel 38 (that's the broadcast channel number, not the cable number). A friend of ours in Chicago says they also run a Stooges marathon there.

13. Christmas-A-Holic

Christmas-A-Holic MMC Goodwill Ambassador MMC Lifer MMC Donor Christmas Crew Santa's Elf

Jealous! I love The Three Stooges! That would definitely be my New Years tradition if they showed it here!

I use to watch The Twilight Zone marathon every year but haven't done that in awhile.

14. Minta

Minta Charles Dickens' Editor MMC Lifer Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Crew

We also stay home on New Years Eve. We used to go out to a family members house but stopped doing that several years ago. Now some years it's just us, other years we will have friends over or the kids will have a friend or 2 over for a sleep over. I make all kinds of snack finger foods, put out a tray of Christams cookies and we play games, watch movies and of course watch the ball drop.

After hosting Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, it's nice to spend a relaxed evening home on NYE.

15. Mistletoe Wishes

Mistletoe Wishes Sugar Cookie Tester Merry Forums Member

I spend NYE at home like a lot of posters on here. I don't drink alcohol and neither does my mum. My job is to usually keep her awake! :D At midnight all the neighbours come out and watch the fireworks. Also, as we are near the cost some years you are lucky enough to hear all the boats tooting their horns (Or is there another phrase for a boat horn?) to bring in the new year.

16. MsRose

MsRose Christmas Card Fanatic MMC Donor Merry Forums Member

New Years is One Of My Favorite Holidays (end of holiday season ).When u was young i loved to get all dressed up and party all night!:lightman
    Now that im Older would rather stay in and watch the Count Down Around the World and Eat lots of left over Christmas Cookies LOL:shakeit

17. prancer

prancer Charles Dickens' Editor MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

Having all the family around and celebrating in style..Thats having a few tipples off-course:sway

18. whitney37354

whitney37354 Rudolph's Groomer MMC Lifer

Since at least 1986, my family has celebrated NYE with another family. We spent most of our summer vacations with this family when I was growing up, went to school with the kids, in each others weddings, my mom grew up with the other mom. I think we've only missed one year entirely, with people coming in and out of the party each year. These days we gather at their lake house. Every year the menu is the same: ham bean soup, ham biscuits, chex mix, fudge, cheese balls & crackers, fruitcake. We sit around & talk, men watch tv, sometimes we play games or cards, the kids play. We all struggle to stay awake until midnight, but we all gather around the tv to watch Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve (RIP Dick Clark) & the homeowner shoots off his gun at midnight. They are getting up in years & every year I wonder if this will be the last year. I don't know if we'll continue the tradition once the founders are gone.

19. xmastidings

Ha-ha, that brings back a memory of mine. When I was a kid on my grandparents farm, my uncle had a double barrel 10 gauge shotgun, which he used to load his own shotgun shells. Well every New Years, he would shoot it off at midnight and when he did, because he used so much gunpowder, fire used to shoot out of both of the barrels when he squeezed the triggers. I used to get such a big kick out of that....

20. Holiday

Holiday North Pole Resident MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum

I guess we don't really have a NYE tradition. Last year we went to the Legion for a private party with friends. The year before that we went to our friends "party in the shed" (they put up a new big building behind their house) And the year before that we went out to the lake in the afternoon, visited with friends & stayed home at night. Not sure what we will do this year. If there is another private party at the legion, that's probably where we will be found! :)
    For years we always hosted a New years day party at our house, but the last 2 years we haven't had it, instead we have gone house hopping to friends houses.