Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Nontraditional Christmas dinner

Discussion in 'Traditions & Memories' started by oldncrusty, Mar 30, 2019.

1. oldncrusty

oldncrusty Tinsel Straightener Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

For those of you who don't have the typical traditional turkey, ham or roast beef type meals, what do you serve, and how and why did you or you family get out of the usual foods generally served? Also how did your family react?
    I normally do ham. I switch it up sometimes, but when I do, it has still been fairly traditional (crown roast, game hens, turducken). I am talking about people who do things like chili or lasagna or deli sandwiches. Foods people don't normally associate with Christmas.

sugar142286, Contented and Minta like this.
  2. Minta

Minta Charles Dickens' Editor MMC Lifer Christmas Crew

Most of the time had the traditional dinners Christmas eve/Christmas day however this year I want to switch it up on Christmas Eve. I am planning on having a buffet for Christmas eve with meatball sandwiches and a lunch meat platter and my family is on board with this idea. Now that the kids are older, we have out grown some things we used to do so it's time to try something new. Several years ago when the kids were really little we would do Lasagna for our Christmas eve dinner since I could make it a head of time.

Last year we did a turkey dinner Christmas eve and a ham dinner with extended family on the 23rd so we had plenty of left overs which we used for dinner Christmas day. It was the first time I had NOT cooked on Christmas day. While it was nice and relaxing it was also missing something.

oldncrusty, sugar142286 and Contented like this.
  3. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award Kringle Radio DJ

My BIL's family usually prepares a turkey and ham, but the rest of the meal is pretty much potluck---everyone pitches in, so there's a variety of side dishes and makings for sandwiches; dips and other noshes for pre-meal nibbles; and for dessert, it's overkill ... cake, fudge, cookies, and ice cream. So, partially traditional, partially not, but nobody leaves hungry!

4. Bamanole22

Bamanole22 Merry Forums Newbie Merry Forums Member

About 20 years or so ago when I was a kid, we spent Christmas Eve day at Grandma’s. We all had lunch there and stayed until around 4:30.

On the way home, Mom realized we didn’t have anything at home for dinner, so we picked up food from the nearest place to home at the time, which was KFC.

To this day, we still do KFC at her house every Christmas Eve because of it. It’s literally the only time I ever have KFC. None of us particularly like it, unless it’s Christmas Eve.

5. oldncrusty

My brother lives in Japan, and over there, KFC is the traditional Christmas dinner!
    Apparently when KFC first started over there, they did a big advertising campaign convincing people this was a traditional western Christmas dinner. Apparently the advertisements worked, and the rest is history.

sugar142286, Minta and Contented like this.
  6. shrcpark

shrcpark Reindeer Feeder Technician Merry Forums Member

Our family usually has Chinese food or order out for Christmas dinner. We were stuck one year, we thought we were going to each a traditional dinner. End up, the kids did not like all the food, so we ate at a diner. Since then, we eat Chinese food or some type of buffet.

7. Mr. Hankey

Mr. Hankey Elf Supervisor MMC Premiere Member

8. Contented

Contented Sugar Cookie Tester MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

On Christmas Day we stick to traditional turkey and ham but on Christmas Eve we grill ribeye steaks,baked potatoes,rolls and a nice salad.We still have unlimited desserts.Because everyone brings something sweet.

oldncrusty, sugar142286 and Minta like this.
  9. sugar142286

sugar142286 North Pole's RN MMC Lifer

DH's family is Italian, as well as mine, so we do the big Italian Christmas - we do gnocchi, Italian wedding soup, bruschetta, and so on. For Christmas Eve, we actually go out to Outback after mass. On Christmas, we do the traditional meal, but we do some different things too, as I mentioned and we love it.

Contented and oldncrusty like this.
  10. AuntieMistletoeDear

AuntieMistletoeDear MMC Hostess of Christmas Online MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum

When I was growing up, we had turkey and the trimmings at our place and Ham at my Aunts on Boxing Day.

For Christmas Eve we used to have Tourtiere (meatpie) before our Christmas Eve guests arrived. Dad starting serving finger foods to guests with various cookies, tarts and squares, and mom made her own Nuts and Bolts mix.

We had Christmas Dinner on Christmas Day around 4, but sometimes not until 7.

If we have no place to go for Christmas Dinner, my husband and I would order Chinese Food and at some point during the week between Christmas and New Year's, we would cook a turkey breast and some festive dishes and then I'd make turkey sandwiches or soup from the left overs.

Thanksgiving meals tend to shift and include vegetarian lasagna or pickerel for my vegetarian brother.

oldncrusty, Contented and snowflake22 like this.
  11. Contented

Contented Sugar Cookie Tester MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

Please tell me what a nuts and bolts mix is? I've wracked my brain on this one and can not figure it out.

12. AuntieMistletoeDear

AuntieMistletoeDear MMC Hostess of Christmas Online MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum

Sure - mom used her roast pan and wiped the sides and bottom with fresh garlic and then added:
    Shreddies
    Cheerios
    Pretzels
    Peanuts
    Pinch of Celery salt
    3 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
    Toss it all about and toss it around again as it's heated every 15-20 minutes
    I think the oven setting was 250 degrees for an hour
    Lots of flavour - a great snack for Super Bowl parties too.

13. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award Kringle Radio DJ

Similar to Chex Mix ... see Auntie's description.
    My mom used to make Chex Mix for Christmas/New Year's. I still have her original recipe. (They used LOTS more butter and more seasoning back then! My own preference is somewhere between the legacy recipe and the modern recipe.)

vicki530 likes this.
  14. vicki530

vicki530 Mistletoe Hanger Merry Forums Member

A lot of people we know go out for dinner on Christmas Day. We actually did that for the first time last year on Christmas Eve. There's just the 2 of us now so it was a bit easier. Still, I plan this year to hit the same buffet on Christmas Eve but do the traditional dinner for my husband and me on Christmas Day. I miss the dressing/stuffing and leftovers. I'll just do it in smaller amounts than I did many years ago. It's a bit lonely with just the 2 of us.

oldncrusty likes this.
  15. whitney37354

whitney37354 Rudolph's Groomer MMC Lifer

Growing up, Christmas Eve dinner was with my maternal grandparents with ham & all the trimmings. Turkey & dressing for lunch on Christmas Day

Now on Christmas Eve, we eat lunch at the mall food court, usually at Asia Ciao. Christmas Eve night I have done different things over the years: chili, chicken casserole, breakfast for dinner, or out to eat.

Christmas morning is breakfast with DH's family. There's always ham, so I guess we still have a little of the traditional meal! Christmas dinner is with my family. We've done several different meals over the years: breakfast for dinner, chili, sandwiches & snacks, & the traditional meal, usually with turkey instead of ham.

Last Christmas DH was sick, so I went with him to Walgreens for chicken noodle soup & crackers at 8:00 p.m. Christmas night. That is one thing we hope won't become a tradition!

16. vicki530

whitney37354, dear one, I pray you'll never again experience a Christmas night with one so ill that you need to dash out for chicken noodle soup and crackers! Having been laid low one year by the flu on Christmas Day, I totally get it. A joyous time it may well be for many, but those who feel like they've been run over by a semi-truck, well not so special.

I don't have children, hence, no grandchildren, but it was not by choice. Doggone rare kind of malignant tumor rendered me unable to do so at a very young age. So holidays are a little tough on me emotionally. Both our families are 100's of miles away. So I try to make traditional foods but find I'm sometimes just not up to it. I think just doing our best to make it a special day, even if it's a non-traditional food offering, spent with our DH is what matters most.

sugarmuffin25 and Contented like this.
  17. Billy Battles

Billy Battles Santa's Doppelganger MMC Lifer MMC Donor

When my wife and I first moved to Seattle. We decided that on Christmas we would have Fresh Salmon. The first to years we bought the Salmon a little too early. So we ended up having just the sides. So just side became our Tradition for a while. Since we didn't have any family here we started going to the Movies on Christmas. We found that when we got home we weren't really hungry, but I would still cook dinner. So for the last couple years started having a big breakfast, then the movies, followed by snacking for dinner.

Contented, vicki530 and oldncrusty like this.
  18. oldncrusty

[QUOTE

I don't have children, hence, no grandchildren, but it was not by choice. Doggone rare kind of malignant tumor rendered me unable to do so at a very young age. So holidays are a little tough on me emotionally. Both our families are 100's of miles away. So I try to make traditional foods but find I'm sometimes just not up to it. I think just doing our best to make it a special day, even if it's a non-traditional food offering, spent with our DH is what matters most.[/QUOTE]

I'm in a sort of a similar situation. One year I decided to have my other friends with no family in the area over for Christmas dinner. It wasn't a pity party. Most of us moved here for a job, and the area is pretty transient (I'm in the Washington DC area) so everyone could relate. It has now become our new Christmas tradition, and everyone really enjoys it. Some like it a lot better, because they can enjoy the holiday without all the family drama. If you know other people in the area in a similar situation, I suggest having them over. I think you will all really enjoy it.

ponytramp, vicki530 and Contented like this.
  19. vicki530

I say "Amen," to whatever works for you and your loved one!

20. leah

leah Chestnut Roaster Merry Forums Member

My dad's family has never had a traditional sit down Christmas dinner. We used to do just snack food (there was some sliced ham too) but the last few years my grandma has ordered broasted chicken from a local restaurant (they open for just a few hours on holidays to cater food for people!) and we have it at lunch time and most people end up not even sitting at a table, ha.

That side of my family has always just been more lax. We hang out in my grandma's basement, have some drinks, and open gifts.

My mom's family has lunch, but there's too many people (and just keeps growing) to all sit at one table. I think we're up to four tables spread out. I never experienced a holiday with the family all sitting at one table (aside from the kids) until I met my husband.

oldncrusty and Contented like this.