Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Nontraditional Christmas dinner

Discussion in 'Traditions & Memories' started by oldncrusty, Mar 30, 2019.

1. vicki530

vicki530 Mistletoe Hanger Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

I'm in a sort of a similar situation. One year I decided to have my other friends with no family in the area over for Christmas dinner. It wasn't a pity party. Most of us moved here for a job, and the area is pretty transient (I'm in the Washington DC area) so everyone could relate. It has now become our new Christmas tradition, and everyone really enjoys it. Some like it a lot better, because they can enjoy the holiday without all the family drama. If you know other people in the area in a similar situation, I suggest having them over. I think you will all really enjoy it.[/QUOTE]
    Thanks, oldncrusty. (Goodness, what a nickname that is)! I'm all for making a family of friends, co-workers, neighbors, church folk, you name it. Oddly enough, we never live anywhere where we find people like that. Husband had a job that required us to move often so I think thatwas the main problem. Hoping this year will be different.

oldncrusty likes this.
  2. sugarmuffin25

sugarmuffin25 Christmas Fanatic Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

Christmas Eve Morning my brother and I do our yearly shopping tradition and we always have lunch out together. Christmas Eve night after we visit my brother and his family and exchange some gifts, my husband and I always pick up takeout Chinese, go home and watch A Christmas Story, and stay up late exchanging our gifts to each other (we have no children so we like to do presents Christmas Eve Night ). I usually make (or buy from a local restaurant) lasagna for Christmas Day dinner. Most of the time it is just me and my husband, and since he stays up very late with his new "toys" and presents, he almost always sleeps until about 2:00pm on Christmas Day. So I am usually alone for a good part of the day. I have always wanted to make a big Christmas breakfast. Since my father passed away this year, my mom is buying a condo 3 minutes from where I live (she currently lives 3 hours away) so I will have her over for Christmas Day and I will finally have someone to cook this breakfast for! And then we definitely spend the day drinking our new favorite Christmas drink: Kahlua, vanilla vodka, crème de menthe, and half and half over ice. It is wonderful!!!

SnowflakeMom, oldncrusty and vicki530 like this.
  3. vicki530

• That's great that your Mom is moving near you and can now join you for Christmas breakfast/Day! I agree; I've always wanted to make one of those wonderful breakfast casseroles and feed a large crowd with it. Your day sounds a lot like mine with the husband sleeping in, but it gives us a bit of time to ourselves, so that's not all bad. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas Eve and Day this year.

sugarmuffin25 likes this.
  4. oldncrusty

oldncrusty Tinsel Straightener Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

That drink sounds FANTASTIC!!!! Do you have measurements or do you just eyeball it?

vicki530 likes this.
  5. sugarmuffin25

sugarmuffin25 Christmas Fanatic Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

I found the recipe on Pinterest but we never actually used the measurements. We just eyeball it and make it in mason jars (I was supposed to split one mason jar into two drinks and share one with my sister, but I'm SURE I drank the whole thing myself!) Here is the link; I think it is the second one on the list:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/laurennbow...erm=.ou3r40xD7&sub=3507674_4223483#.spVPKgzv7

oldncrusty and vicki530 like this.
  6. vicki530

7. vicki530

Can't you get red and green lasagna pasta at Christmas for a festive look or can I use food coloring to achieve it? My sister always had lasagna for Christmas along with all the traditional foods, I can't think of any holiday where lasagna wouldn't be welcome! Lots of folks in the South also have mac and cheese for every holiday.

8. oldncrusty

oldncrusty Tinsel Straightener Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

I do think mac and cheese is an odd addition to the Christmas (and Thanksgiving) table, but it seems to be a regional favorite. I had never known anyone to serve it until I moved down here, where it is almost as expected as sweet potatoes.