On St. Patricks Day Do You Pinch Those Who Are Not Wearing Green?

On St. Patricks Day do you pinch those who are not wearing green?

• Yes

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • No

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • I don't wear green

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Annette

Christmas Princess
MMC Lifer
Oct 2, 2007
Washington
Never did this before...I hope I did it correctly.

Snow-in-Texas

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
MMC Emeritus Member
Jun 28, 2009
Dallas, TX
I personally don't celebrate St. Patricks Day. Don't be offended, it's just a personal thing, I have nothing against it or anybody that celebrates it. It just isn't my thing.

Annette

Christmas Princess
MMC Lifer
Oct 2, 2007
Washington
Just out of curiousity, why the pinching thing???
Pinching others not wearing green is a tradition in the US. Along with the bars selling green beer and eating corned beef and cabbage too. I'm not sure if they even do this in other countries. I am guessing not.cheesy

Annette

Christmas Princess
MMC Lifer
Oct 2, 2007
Washington
I personally don't celebrate St. Patricks Day. Don't be offended, it's just a personal thing, I have nothing against it or anybody that celebrates it. It just isn't my thing.

Not offened at all. I don't decorate for this Holiday but I usually wear green (I have a child....*L*) She usually wears something with green on it to school as well as the other children. I usually make corned beef and cabbage and anymore skip the green beer. In a town about 2 hrs from me they have a huge parade on St. Paddy's day. Everyone wears green, drinks green beer and has a good time. It literally draws thousands of people. I guess in a way it's almost like a mardi gras.

xmas365

“Yes! Yes I do! I like Christmas! I love Christmas
MMC Lifer
Jan 5, 2010
Massachusetts
I have never heard of the pinching thing, I don't think I would even try it being in the age of sexual harassment to much to lose if someone thinks you are getting "fresh" with them. I'll stick with the corned beef, and wearing green.

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
Just out of curiousity, why the pinching thing???

I believe it's because of the tradition that St. Patrick drove the snakes out of Ireland. The pinch represents a snake biting you because you're not honoring St. Patrick by wearing green.

Annette

Christmas Princess
MMC Lifer
Oct 2, 2007
Washington
I have never heard of the pinching thing, I don't think I would even try it being in the age of sexual harassment to much to lose if someone thinks you are getting "fresh" with them. I'll stick with the corned beef, and wearing green.
I can understand that. I guess it's all on how you look at the question. I was thinking a little pinch on the arm is how we have always done it. This poll isn't to offend anyone. Seen the question on our local TV tidbits and decided to ask the question.

Annette

Christmas Princess
MMC Lifer
Oct 2, 2007
Washington
I believe it's because of the tradition that St. Patrick drove the snakes out of Ireland. The pinch represents a snake biting you because you're not honoring St. Patrick by wearing green.
I have heard this before too with many other myths about leprechauns etc...

xmas365

“Yes! Yes I do! I like Christmas! I love Christmas
MMC Lifer
Jan 5, 2010
Massachusetts
I can understand that. I guess it's all on how you look at the question. I was thinking a little pinch on the arm is how we have always done it. This poll isn't to offend anyone. Seen the question on our local TV tidbits and decided to ask the question.

No offense taken, I have grown up and lived in the Northeast my whole life, and we have unfortunately developed a reputation of being aloof and rude in this part of the country, which I can bear witness to some people acting that way and sometimes even acted that way myself. Sometimes if you make eye contact and say "Hi" to someone you may get a "what the heck are you looking at" response. Hence no pinching for me.

Maureen

Merry Forums Super Administrator
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Aug 24, 2007
Displaced Canadian now in Perthshire, Scotland
Interesting concept!!!! I can see where the snake-biting, pinching thing makes sense.

To be honest, I think it's mostly just the Republic of Ireland and the States that make a big thing of St Patrick's Day. It's really not hugely celebrated in the UK as a whole - but then, neither are St David's Day (Wales), St George's Day (England) or St Andrew's Day (Scotland)!

made582

MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Apr 15, 2009
Greenfield, Indiana
I usually don't pinch anyone now of days but I use to all the time when I was a kid if they didn't have green on.

judesmama

...Noel, Hilda, and Evan’s mama, too!
MMC Lifer
Jul 8, 2008
Out in the country!
LOL! Never heard of that.. maybe I'll pinch my hubby this year, hehe!

We live in a traditionally Irish Catholic neighborhood so our neighborhood is NUTS on St. Patrick's Day!! Cars honking, people on the streets, decorations galore.. insanity!

Laney

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
May 20, 2008
St. Louis, Missouri
We have a new guy at our work that just moved here from near India about 4 months ago. Someone was trying to explain St. Patricks Day to him yesterday and he was looking at her like she had 17 heads LOL. You have to admit, it does sound really funny - "You wear green and eat corned beef and cabbage and drink green beer. If you don't wear green, someone will pinch you."

We do sound kind of goofy, don't we?!?!

MsChristmas

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 8, 2008
Maryland, USA
I try to be nice and not pinch cheesy. I do usually wear green and I have a little shamrock that lights up in my front window at my house. We really dont celebrate it though. I may make cookies and decorate them with my son but its just a reason to bake. I dont do any of the traditional stuff!

Irishsnow

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
Dec 5, 2005
Ireland
Pinching others not wearing green is a tradition in the US. Along with the bars selling green beer and eating corned beef and cabbage too. I'm not sure if they even do this in other countries. I am guessing not.cheesy

Never heard of this at all :-?

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image