Planning For Christmas 2017

angelpugs

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Christmas Talk Alum
Dec 10, 2010
North Adams, MA
Just wondering if anyone has any plans or ideas for this christmas as we all know it'll be here before you know it.As i will be making most of my own decor rustic New England and i have decided to get another tree which will make four but,that's okay the more the merrier and i'll be adding more pieces to my christmas and of course more lights.Have window boxes on the outside of my windows so i'll be doing a nice christmas display in them and i will be doing more with my back deck as well,anyone have any ideas or plans?This year i'm going to have one get together just my close family and i'll put grandma's hot chocolate on the woodstove and we will have a very cozy christmas with lights dimmed so we can just enjoy those festive christmas lights.

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
This is the time of year Christmas works begins for me! For several years we have compiled an annual DVD of Christmas-themed movie, TV, and YouTube clips, so it's time to choose clips and begin editing, titling, etc. Around August is when I check and update my card and package address lists, notes for this year's decorating and baking, and our Christmas shopping list. I also get in the mood this time of year to buy more Christmas music---I don't really need more, but I enjoy it so much! It's also time to start thinking about playlists for this year's music hours for the Santa Tracking broadcast. (Goodness, I feel like I'm already behind!)

AuntieMistletoeDear

MMC Hostess of Christmas Online
MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
Christmas Crew
Christmas Talk Alum
Oct 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada
This Christmas will have a different look and feel to it. Sadly, number 2 son and his wife are newly separated and planning on getting a divorce. We'll still see our grandchildren, but it won't be the same as previous celebrations.

With my mom's health problems (mobility and near blindness); my dad took the dining room table apart and hauled it upstairs then moved their King size bed downstairs to the former dining room with French doors to separate it from the living room. The upstairs still has their matching dresser and a small sitting area. The Christmas cocktail parties that were always a highlight of the season for me will no longer be held at their place. I'm traditional and although I like to think of myself as someone who embraces change; I don't really care for it. Christmas decorating and gift exchanges will still occur. but unless I come up with a plan and sell it to the others to rent a cabin for Christmas. I'll have to get creative and think of ways to make it all feel festive regardless of how or where it's celebrated.

I will have to update my Christmas card list in September as I had 3 returned last Christmas.

Holiday

MMC Christmas Angel 1971-2020
Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
This Christmas will have a different look and feel to it. Sadly, number 2 son and his wife are newly separated and planning on getting a divorce. We'll still see our grandchildren, but it won't be the same as previous celebrations.

With my mom's health problems (mobility and near blindness); my dad took the dining room table apart and hauled it upstairs then moved their King size bed downstairs to the former dining room with French doors to separate it from the living room. The upstairs still has their matching dresser and a small sitting area. The Christmas cocktail parties that were always a highlight of the season for me will no longer be held at their place. I'm traditional and although I like to think of myself as someone who embraces change; I don't really care for it. Christmas decorating and gift exchanges will still occur. but unless I come up with a plan and sell it to the others to rent a cabin for Christmas. I'll have to get creative and think of ways to make it all feel festive regardless of how or where it's celebrated.

I will have to update my Christmas card list in September as I had 3 returned last Christmas.
Sending hugs & prayers your way Auntie!!!

SnowflakeMom

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
Apr 22, 2014
Connecticut

Sorry to hear of all these changes for you.
I am sure you will find a way to keep the spirit going.
Prayers for your family!

AuntieMistletoeDear

MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
Christmas Crew
Christmas Talk Alum
Oct 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Thank you very much; your hugs and prayers are well received. :ornarment

I'm the one who tries to keep the traditions going - not sure how I'm going to pull this one off yet, but I'll figure it out. -lights-

Holiday

Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
I am planning go for a vacation at any good place this Christmas. Can you suggest me any good place?
Are you looking for a cold/snowy location or a warm vacation?

Reactions: Minta

Minta

Charles Dickens' Editor
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Oct 10, 2004
South NJ

Is your place big enough to host? Can you use/fit their dinning table at your place?

Since your mom has mobility issue I am not sure how well she can get around outside her house, if that is the case is your house and maybe another relatives house close enough that you use multiple locations ... One house for some appetizers, one house for the party or dinner another for desserts and spread it our longer in the day to add in the travel time? Have your parents house host the easiest of the food options or maybe just cookies and warm drinks so that way they are still included in the festivities without being burden for the whole event. If everyone's home is within walking distance you can always carol along the way from one home to the next.

Minta

Charles Dickens' Editor
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Oct 10, 2004
South NJ
Well I have been busy working on my gift list ideas and even have a few gifts bought. I am hoping to finish assembling my Holiday binder soon with my cleaning schedule, gift ideas list and gifts bought list, etc... it just makes my life so much easier.

Its hard for me to plan out Christmas Eve and Christmas day and I am not sure if the a few of the in laws will be in town. The plan is that they will be home for Christmas but no travel tickets have been bought yet. If they do come home then a big family dinner will be planned for Christmas Eve, if not then we are planning on an open house type party. Both will come with 2 very different types of menus. We always host Christmas breakfast with my dad and step mom and then we host Christmas dinner. I would love a full house both nights :)

Holiday

Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
Well I have been busy working on my gift list ideas and even have a few gifts bought. I am hoping to finish assembling my Holiday binder soon with my cleaning schedule, gift ideas list and gifts bought list, etc... it just makes my life so much easier.

Its hard for me to plan out Christmas Eve and Christmas day and I am not sure if the a few of the in laws will be in town. The plan is that they will be home for Christmas but no travel tickets have been bought yet. If they do come home then a big family dinner will be planned for Christmas Eve, if not then we are planning on an open house type party. Both will come with 2 very different types of menus. We always host Christmas breakfast with my dad and step mom and then we host Christmas dinner. I would love a full house both nights :)
Sounds so festive!!! I hope you get a full house both nights! So fun!

AuntieMistletoeDear

MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
Christmas Crew
Christmas Talk Alum
Oct 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Is your place big enough to host? Can you use/fit their dinning table at your place?

Since your mom has mobility issue I am not sure how well she can get around outside her house, if that is the case is your house and maybe another relatives house close enough that you use multiple locations ... One house for some appetizers, one house for the party or dinner another for desserts and spread it our longer in the day to add in the travel time? Have your parents house host the easiest of the food options or maybe just cookies and warm drinks so that way they are still included in the festivities without being burden for the whole event. If everyone's home is within walking distance you can always carol along the way from one home to the next.
Thank you for taking time to share your ideas. Our place isn't big enough for the numbers and we have too many stairs. If I can talk them into joining us with the grands (their great-grands) four hours away, we can do it. My parents have always enjoyed their traditions and my boys and their families don't celebrate quite the same way. The decorations should help set the mood. The food is pretty much the same. My dad indicated to me last year that they might escape and join my brother for a resort getaway. We'll see what I can work out. I've been looking for a lodge-style resort between our two cities. It won't include the usual friends and neighbours that "come to call", but at least I'll have my family with me and our luminaries to light the way for Santa's sleigh.

ballcoach

Santa Clausologist
MMC Lifer
Jan 1, 2017
What all do you put in your notebook? I love hearing about the ways others organize for Christmas!

Minta

Charles Dickens' Editor
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Oct 10, 2004
South NJ
What all do you put in your notebook? I love hearing about the ways others organize for Christmas!
one section is about gifts: Gift ideas, list of gifts I bought and for who, list of stocking stuffers that I bought.
another Section is about cleaning: a schedule of deep cleaning like .. week one is cleaning the front porch and foyer, another week is cleaning the kitchen and cabinets, etc. Cleaning starts end of August and goes though until Nov. A lot of purging goes on during that cleaning phase too. Its easier to maintain after a deep cleaning is done.
Another section will be about food: cookie recipes that I will be using for this holiday season, list of ingredients i need to get so I can keep track of sales. Menu for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and grocery shopping list.
A Section for events that we want to attend or thing to do, christmas movies we want to watch etc.

whitney37354

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
Jan 16, 2009
Tennessee
Christmas is pretty much the same here every year with not much prep time involved for us since we still have both sets of parents who host the celebrations and we travel to them (20 & 45 minutes from our home).

November
1. Black Friday: DD & I usually do something with my mother: either Dollywood, Fantasy or Trees, or just putting up and helping decorate her trees and house.
2. Saturday after Thanksgiving: I decorate our house for Christmas. I take Mom, and sometimes DD, to Small Town Christmas in my hometown that night. It's too crowded for my liking, but I do it for Mom!

December
1. Christmas parade in our town & my hometown. We've found our favorite viewing spots in both places!
2. Tour of Homes: I go to this with Mom when the schedule allows.
3. DH & I have the same wedding anniversary as my in-laws & we go to Dixie Stampede every year to celebrate. MIL just made those reservations yesterday for 12/16. Our anniversary is 12/18.
4. Caroling & dinner at church.
5. Children's program at church. DD is now in youth group, so she won't be in the children's program, but we will still go to watch. My parent's always came over that night & we would eat dinner afterward at our house. This year will be the first year that won't happen. New traditions to be made!
6. Christmas Eve we go with in-laws to the mall. FIL does all of his shopping Christmas Eve morning. We just go with them to people watch & we eat in the food court. We stop to see my parents for a few minutes on our way home. That afternoon we try to eat at a certain restaurant in town & do gift exchange with DH's best friend & his family. Those two things change a bit from year to year. The mall going pretty much stays the same. That night we make a dessert of some type for Santa & watch It's a Wonderful Life before throwing out reindeer food. I stay up to help Santa deliver the gifts & head to bed around midnight. Last year was the first year DD "found out the truth" about Santa (about two weeks before Christmas....thanks, best friend..., but we still did the cookies & reindeer food anyway! This tradition may change this year too.
7. Christmas Day: Our little family of three opens gifts. We go to inlaws for breakfast & gift exchange. We go to my parents for dinner & gift exchange. If Christmas Day is on Sunday, we open our gifts, go to church, then inlaws for lunch & gift exchange, and on to my parents for dinner & gift exchange. Last year we waiting until the day after Christmas to do Christmas with the in-laws. So now even the Christmas Day traditions are subject to change.

I have said that since we have only one child, I will tell her when she is grown that we will be at home, whenever she wants to drop in. Just let us know in advance so we can have a meal together! When you have a bigger family, it's harder to get everyone together at the same time. I don't want to stress over it...

AuntieMistletoeDear

MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
Christmas Crew
Christmas Talk Alum
Oct 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I had a chat with my parents yesterday when I went over for a visit. They said they have enough room and seating for 6 guests plus themselves. That means at this point in their lives they only want family and close friends or relatives to visit. My dad mentioned the beautiful wooden folding tables my husband and I gave them for Christmas several years ago would come in handy for a meal.
When my mom left us for a few minutes my dad shared with me that the last few years he hasn't enjoyed the Christmas gatherings as much as he used to because it's so hard on my mom. He also mentioned that of all the neighbours and friends that came to visit between Christmas Eve and Boxing Day only 6 of them visit at other times during the year. He concluded that due to my mom's health issues they don't keep in touch with their friends they way they did previously. They're content with finding a new way to celebrate with the people they love most or getting away to a sunny place for a change.
I'm still searching for a special place we can all be together, but I have to make sure it's wheelchair accessible so my mom has an easy go of things.
Otherwise, it's back to celebrating a few days with the boys and grandchildren and spending a few with my family.
Have to start working on my gift-giving plans; haven't tucked anything away yet and I searched for Christmas cards and realized I need to stock up as I only have a handful left from last year.

Stay jolly and keep planning! -surprise-

Reactions: Holiday