Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Attention! Planning Your Christmas Stamps

Discussion in 'Christmas Home' started by Jeff Westover, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Jeff Westover

Jeff Westover Chief Santa Tracker MMC Founder Kringle Radio DJ Christmas Card Exchanger Santa's Elf

We have just updated the Christmas Card Exchange List for 2018 and we're up to 33 names as of today. That's actually a pretty high number for this time of the year. We typically end up with about 65-75 names on the list before we close it out.

One of things that keeps some folks from joining the exchange is the cost. But I have found that with a little advanced planning the cost really doesn't factor for me.

The newest Christmas stamps from the USPS won't be out for another month or so but there are plenty of stamps released in recent years the USPS has still available on their website and at post offices. They are $10 for 20 stamps.

I find that if I get a book of stamps every other week or so from this point forward -- including a book or two of the International stamps -- I have this expense behind me before I even send out cards.

Also bear in mind that you can still get great stamps from past seasons that the USPS no longer has at all -- like the Charlie Brown stamps from a few years go -- at Amazon. Check this link out for some of their interesting stamps you can order right now.

How many of you are stamp ready?

2. xmastidings

xmastidings Santa's Mentor MMC Lifer MMC Donor Christmas Card Exchanger 2018 Ornament Exchanger

I'm there! I've gotta about 15 books of stamps that are a collection of the past 4-5 years of holiday stamps. Each year, I go out and buy like 10-15 books of stamps with the intentions of keeping many of them for the next few years to come. Yup, I have even have some of those Charlie Brown stamps too!

3. Ornamentmaven

Ornamentmaven Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member Christmas Card Exchanger 2018 Ornament Exchanger

Great idea. I always use this concept when it comes to buying decorations or gifts - never thought to do it with stamps!

missiechick and NutmegNan like this.
  4. NutmegNan

NutmegNan Merry Maker Extraordinaire MMC Donor Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member Christmas Card Exchanger

I plan to send quite a few cards but I do plan to buy in installments-to a degree=)
    I have purchased my international and I have a few former stamps from last year but I have not "preordered" the 2018 Christmas stamps. I cannot explain the "why" behind it but it just bugs me to "preorder" so far in advance. Now when they're available or a few days out I'm all in; Just one of my quirks!
    +h

missiechick likes this.
  5. shrcpark

shrcpark Reindeer Feeder Technician Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member Christmas Card Exchanger 2018 Ornament Exchanger

How many international stamps do you all think I need for this Christmas card exchange? How many did you all purchase in years past?

missiechick likes this.
  6. WintersElf

WintersElf Sugar Cookie Tester MMC Lifer MMC Premiere Member Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Talk Alum

im saving...

7. NutmegNan

NutmegNan Merry Maker Extraordinaire MMC Donor Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member Christmas Card Exchanger

Last year I didn't use international stamps but used reg postage in the correct amt. This year I have 20 purchased so far, I hope this helps some!
    Can anyone estimate from past years???

8. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Kringle Radio DJ Louann Jeffries Award Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Crew Santa's Elf

Just a reminder ... you’re not obligated to send a card to everyone on the list. So don’t get too wound up about how many stamps you have to get. Make it easy on yourself.

9. WintersElf

WintersElf Sugar Cookie Tester MMC Lifer MMC Premiere Member Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Talk Alum

i have one international stamp from last year..i do hope to get more..since i dont send over seas..but i want to this year..fingers crosses..

10. missiechick

missiechick Will Work for Coffee MMC Lifer MMC Premiere Member Christmas Card Exchanger

My records show I purchased 16 international stamps last year. I may have saved one or two because I collect stamps.

11. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Kringle Radio DJ Louann Jeffries Award Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Crew Santa's Elf

So getting cards from all over is DOUBLY fun for you, because you get to collect the stamps!

missiechick likes this.
  12. missiechick

missiechick Will Work for Coffee MMC Lifer MMC Premiere Member Christmas Card Exchanger

Absolutely! The stamps are amazing! :)

MerryCarey likes this.
  13. missiechick

I am going to sound like a huge bumpkin here, but I am always in awe when I receive international Christmas cards. "Wow, this came all the way from Greece, France, Norway, New Zealand! I wonder what these people are doing right now!"
    In no way do I undervalue the Christmas cards from the US. I also think, "Wow, Texas, New York, Hawaii, etc. I wonder what they're doing right now!"
    This whole Christmas card exchange is just plain awesome! :)

Cynn and shrcpark like this.
  14. MerryCarey

You described the experience perfectly!

missiechick likes this.
  15. GingerMel

GingerMel Ornament Craftsman MMC Lifer Christmas Card Exchanger

I love getting any cards but I agree that the international ones are super neat. If you're sending cards to other countries, don't forget that you should mail the international ones early! I try to mail mine in mid-late November so they get to those folks before Christmas. It can take a really long time. Of course, no one ever minds getting a card later but I do try to get them there before Christmas if at all possible.

I think I should go start buying stamps right now!

16. WintersElf

I got my christmas stamps today.wow not a variety for us this year...you 2 choices.anyways the head master told me get what i needed cause in January books of stmaps go up a whole dollar more...yep 5 cents each stamps...also all shipping is going up too....

GingerMel likes this.
  17. GingerMel

GingerMel Ornament Craftsman MMC Lifer Christmas Card Exchanger

I got some extras based on this!

18. Fire_Goddess

Fire_Goddess Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class MMC Premiere Member Christmas Card Exchanger

my birthday is late in the summer and I always ask for stamps :) Even for Christmas, stamps are a easy stocking stuffer