Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Real or artificial

Discussion in 'Home & Family' started by Christmasplease, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Christmasplease

Christmasplease Santa Clausologist MMC Lifer MMC Donor Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Talk Alum 2018 Ornament Exchanger Santa's Elf

Do you have a real tree or an artificial tree? When do you put it up? My artificial trees go up anywhere in between Nov. 1 and Nov. 15, depending on how busy I am.

2. Holiday

Holiday North Pole Resident MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum

I have 2 artificial + other small artificial trees. If I'm not hosting Thanksgiving I start on my main tree the Friday before Thanksgiving, which would be Nov. 17th this year. So exciting!!! If I host Thanksgiving I will start that weekend.

3. christmasjingles

christmasjingles Elf Supervisor MMC Lifer

We have 1 artificial tree that goes up after Thanksgiving, usually.

4. novelist

novelist Mistletoeologist MMC Lifer

We have an artifical prelit tree. It goes up the weekend after Thanksgiving.

5. pattyjo

pattyjo Elf Supervisor MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

I have 1 artificial tree that I put up in the last week of November..

6. Minta

Minta Charles Dickens' Editor MMC Lifer Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Crew

7 Artificial trees although I would love to get a real one from the front porch with the roots still intact so we could plant it in the yard afterwards.

7. SnowflakeMom

SnowflakeMom Christmasologist MMC Lifer

Artificial

8. MichelleluvsChristmas

MichelleluvsChristmas Christmas Aficionado MMC Lifer

I too have an artificial tree (although I'd love to have a real one as well) and I actually put everything up on Halloween!
    LOL!
    I live in apartments so we never get kids, and I just have never really been into Halloween.
    I take the evening, turn off the lights, and turn on some Christmas music and start putting stuff up. I really try to prolong the time the decor is out because before we know it, January will be here and it will be time to take them down.

HollyJolly, kgstyles, Holiday and 2 others like this.
  9. savingstar

savingstar Twinkle Light Checker MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum Christmas Talk Alum

sadly i can only have artificial inside as my husband is allergic to real ones but i have 3 real ones in my garden i brought last year so jus waiting form them to grow

Holiday and Christmasplease like this.
  10. Festive Spirit

Festive Spirit Christmas Royalty MMC Lifer

We changed to artificial about three years ago. Usually we put it up about the last weekend in Novemeber or thereabouts. This year as we have moved to a bigger home, we may get a real tree as well which will go up in December so it remains fresh. Nothing beats the smell!

11. Christmasplease

Christmasplease Santa Clausologist MMC Lifer MMC Donor Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Talk Alum 2018 Ornament Exchanger Santa's Elf

I want the smell of pine but I will have to use something other than a tree to get it.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    Holiday likes this.
  12. Rennabelle

Rennabelle Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class MMC Lifer

Have had real trees all my life. We normally go out into the woods to cut them down.

13. Christmasplease

I have never cut down a real tree, that must be so amazing!!!

Holiday likes this.
  14. ChantelleJoy

ChantelleJoy Partner, AllThingsChristmas.com MMC Premiere Member MMC Partner

I cut down my first "real" tree in 2005 and got addicted. We went to a little Tree Farm north of my hometown and although I live on the other side of the world now and can't visit each year, and I was in my mid-20s when it started, It will always be one of my favourite Christmas traditions.

I have a "Fake" tree in my bedroom that goes up on November 25th every year, and a real (pre-cut) tree for the livingroom which usually goes up the first or second weekend of December (can't keep them too long, they dry out!)

15. SilentNight490

SilentNight490 Snowman Engineer MMC Lifer

Always artificial. I would feel bad cutting down a tree just to throw it away a month later, which I know this is something many people do but personally I wouldn't do that.

Christmasplease likes this.
  16. Puternut

Puternut Tinsel Straightener Merry Forums Member

Mine is up all year so to speak, it's get's covered and wheeled into a walk-in closet along with my other inside décor.

Christmasplease likes this.
  17. shrcpark

shrcpark Reindeer Feeder Technician Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member Christmas Card Exchanger 2018 Ornament Exchanger

A lot of little artificial trees and one big real one.

Holiday likes this.
  18. Christmasplease

I wish I had the space to do that. That’s great!

19. Ornamentmaven

Ornamentmaven Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member Christmas Card Exchanger 2018 Ornament Exchanger

One 7.5 foot, one 4 foot, and one 3 foot - as well as several very small ones - all artificial. The 3 foot goes up in my bedroom in early to mid November and is decorated with Hallmark's Madame Alexander doll ornaments. My daughter and her boyfriend put up the 4 footer in her room in December and it is decorated in ornaments they have purchased for each other - primarily in a gold theme.
    My main tree goes up the weekend after Thanksgiving in the living room and is overloaded with ornaments collected over many years. I alternate the "background" colors - some years it is teal ribbon and topper with silver beading, some years white garland and an angel topper, some years red garland with a finial style topper, This year I purchased a new white and gold angel topper. I plan to add wide white ribbon and gold beads.
    I also set up my white ceramic tree and my small white tree (with a Rudolph theme) the weekend after Thanksgiving. I have to wait until after Thanksgiving as I always have guests that day!

20. ballcoach

ballcoach Elf Choir Book Distributor MMC Lifer

Artificial....

I love the smell of a real tree, but I also like to put my tree up the first weekend of November. I have found that it is a stretch for a tree to make it that long....so I just substitute an artificial tree and have a scented candle or some house spray that is scented like a real tree....easier clean-up, also.

Holiday and Ornamentmaven like this.