Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Returning and finally feeling a festive tingle again

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Skippy1707, May 14, 2019.

1. Skippy1707

Skippy1707 Chestnut Roaster Merry Forums Member

Hello all
    Well after nearly a year and a half away I am finally back.
    I'll give you a brief update.
    Back in December 2017 (yes its really been THAT long) I was mulling along nicely, as looking forward to all the fun and festivities that Christmas brings. Was ahead with shopping, had written all my cards ready for the exchange, posted my decoration exchanges (thank you to USAvet and Christmasplease in case I never got around to saying it)
    So in a nutshell here is my life for the last 18 months

December 13th 2017 - at our pre Christmas family get together I get a phone call from my uncle that my grandfather isn't feeling well and as its out of hours they are taking him for a check up there. An hour later we are told hes staying in and he doesn't look well. So my dad leaves and drives the 3 hour trip back to Southampton where hes just come from after visiting them.
    December 14th 2017 - My Mother In Law calls to say her dog had a seizure that morning and had to be PTS (they were inseparable) so I spend all morning consoling her. My husband comes home at lunchtime and broke the news to me that my grandfather passed away.

So Christmas and anything else basically went out the window.

January 11th 2018 - my grandfathers funeral is held
    January 12th 2018 - my health relapses and I am back in a horrid world of Menieres Disease.
    February - my sister announces shes pregnant with her 4th daughter by the 4th dad.
    March 2018 - I have to have my lizard Esteban put to sleep because of a tumour in his face.
    End of March 2018 - my father is diagnosed with prostate cancer.
    April 2018 - Im still not well and have to leave my job.
    May 2018 - he has his surgery and declines chemotherapy
    July 2018 - we visit my dad and nan for mine and my daughters birthday and he gets news that his tests are all clear the day after my birthday. I get a new lizard - welcome home Teleia
    August 2018 - Sister finally tells my dad shes pregnant and 3 weeks later gives birth to Melody Athena
    September 2018 - Kids start school. Son starts his GCSEs and all seems ok in the world.
    October 2018 - husband is promoted to Assistant Manager.
    November 2018 - I decide to re-find my faith.
    December 2018 - pre family get together and we take a moment to remember grandad.

I actually managed to see in New Year (barely) but wished for a better year.

January 2019 - My eldest son J turns 18.
    February 2019 - our 17 year old dog Bruno passes away and we are all heartbroken but it hits my son Ben hard because they have been best friends since he was 18 months old.
    March 2019 - My 14 year old son Bens best friend Zac is diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukaemia, if he had been 24 hours later getting to the hospital he would of been dead. Zac starts treatment and Bens grades start to suffer through stress.
    A week later - My Father In Law is diagnosed with Bowel Cancer.
    April 2019 - My friend Chris is diagnosed with the same Leukaemia. He knocked his hand somehow and then contracts MRSA and Sepsis. He cant start treatment, dark shadows are found on his kidneys and liver and he is placed in medically induced coma. My Father In Law undergoes surgery and starts his chemotherapy. My sister also learns she has apsergers, gets tested for alopecia and instead finds out she is very anaemic so shes on tablets to help correct it. (the anaemia)

So here we are now finally in May........and so far so good.
    - Ben my son has pulled all his grades up and is now achieving above what he is expected to get.
    - Zac is still fighting and has had his 3rd lot of Chemo, despite a few issues - he is managing to eat and has been allowed home between treatments.
    - Chris is awake. One kidney is now working again and his liver has repaired itself to 75%. He may be having a skin graft on his arm to close where the sepsis was but needs to have all his toes amputated soon.
    - Father In Law has had his second dose of Chemo and seems to be OK although now has a virus so is having to rest up.
    - My mother in law got a new dog which yesterday bit the vet in the face so shes in shock I think at the minute.

But I will finish on a positive note - we got a new puppy on Sunday. He is 9 weeks old and a whippet x lurcher and we have named him Angus. :)

.........and I am FINALLY thinking about Christmas and decided to come and find you all again. :)

These things are sent to try us!
    I hope you have all been well and I will do my best to catch up with you all!
    x

2. prancer

prancer Charles Dickens' Editor MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

Hello Skippy..Good to see you back my friend...You've had a tough time lately and hope we can give you back some festive cheer buddy...Its hard loosing a loved one skippy....So sorry to hear about your Grandfather ...Keeping your Father inlaw in our thoughts and prayers...Once again great to see you back:)

3. Skippy1707

Skippy1707 Chestnut Roaster Merry Forums Member

Hello lovely,
    How are you? Its nice to be back.

4. shrcpark

shrcpark Reindeer Feeder Technician Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

Welcome back.

Congratulations on becoming an aunt again and on the new puppy. I am so sorry for the loss of your Grandfather. I'll be praying for your Dad, Sister and all the rest of the family.

It is so nice to see you join our festivities and celebrate Christmas every day. I pray 2019 will be a better year then every. Congratulations on renewing your faith as well.

5. He_Is_Born

He_Is_Born Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant MMC Lifer

Goodness that has been a tough 18 months. I'll keep you and the family in prayer going forward. Stay strong.

AuntieMistletoeDear likes this.
  6. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award Kringle Radio DJ

Hello and welcome back, Skippy. You've been through an awful lot ... I hope 2019 will treat you and your loved ones more kindly. And that this Christmas season will bring the joy you richly deserve.

7. Jeff Westover

Jeff Westover Chief Santa Tracker MMC Founder Santa's Elf Kringle Radio DJ

Oh my goodness...so many going through so much it seems lately. Welcome home!

8. Meceka

Meceka MMC Associate Editor MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award Kringle Radio DJ

Welcome back, Skippy! I'm sorry for the loss of your grandfather, Esteban, and Bruno. Keeping you and your family, Zac, and Chris in my prayers. xx

9. AuntieMistletoeDear

AuntieMistletoeDear MMC Hostess of Christmas Online MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum

Welcome back, Skippy!

Thoughts and prayers for everyone and I'm happy that you were able to reconnect with your faith especially when others might turn away due so many hardships.

I found staying here and talking through the 7 funerals last year and losing my spouse recently has really helped me stay connected to this wonderful Christmas community and talk it out.

I'm glad you found your way back to us. We're good listeners.

It's getting exciting; tomorrow we're at the halfway point in the countdown already - really speeding along; great that you can join us.

He_Is_Born likes this.