Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Saint Nicholas arrived in Belgium

Discussion in 'Traditions & Memories' started by kerst, Nov 20, 2007.

1. kerst

kerst MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

On Saturday Saint Nicholas arrived in Antwerp, Belgium on the big steam boat from Spain with his "Black Petes" (his helpers) and his beautiful white horse ! Thousands of children were awaiting his arrival and it was followed by a big parade and then He went to the city hall and spoke to all the children from the balcony of city hall.

Saint Nicholas will visit all the children on December 6 and bring them toys and goodies. Between now and Dec 6 He will be seen in the streets and shopping malls where children can meet him and sit on his lap and have their picture taken. They can give Him their wish list or they can send it in the mail to Spain where He lives.

On the night of December 5 all children will put their shoe by the chimney with a carrot for Saint Nicholas' horse and a beer for Pete. Saint Nicholas will come down the chimney and leaves toys and goodies behind like Speculaas, a kind of spiced cookie simular to gingerbread but with cinnamon and other spices. They are shaped like Saint Nicholas. He will bring mandarines (tangerines) or oranges and marsipan, which is an almond paste shaped into all kinds of fun figurines.

Saint Nicholas carries a big Book in which He has written the names of all children and whether they have been good or bad. But from the balcony Saint Nicholas announced that all children have been good so none of them have to worry this year !

Black Pete is Saint Nicholas' helper and carries the toys and goodies in a big brown bag. Many years ago Pete would put the children who have been bad into his bag and take them with him but thankfully that tradition has been modified as it left many children traumatized :wink: Now Black Pete is the best of helpers and nice to all children !

Saint Nicholas wears a beautiful red robe and a mitre. He was a beloved bishop in Turkey somewhere around the year 325 AD. The poor knew him for His generosity, His love for children and ships and sailors. Somehow He moved from Turkey to Spain and has lived there ever since. And every year He comes back on his big boat and visits the children all over Europe.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. officepro4u

officepro4u MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

That's neat! I love learning about Christmas traditions from around the world. I have only lived in America, so any other countries' celebrations are somewhat foreign to me. Please update if anything new happens.

Diana:sparkle:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  3. kerst

I most certainly will !

4. Christmasstar

Christmasstar one Crazy Canadian ! MMC Lifer Christmas Card Exchanger

reminds me of

stories my mom would tell about when she was small living in Holland.
    :}

5. Annette1990

Annette1990 MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

Thank so much for sharing this information with us. I totally loved the pictures!

6. Ladybugkisses

Ladybugkisses Elf Choir Book Distributor MMC Lifer

My husband is from Holland so I know all about Sinterklass and his Black Pete's. My in-laws are still in Holland and sent our girls their gift and we opened the box last week.

Their treasures included clothes, undies, socks, sweater jackets from a recent trip to Spain my mum-in-law had, and the beloved cookies and chocolate initails for all of us. She also included some teas, spices and other treats for my hubby and me. Gotta love international relatives.

Toya

7. kerst

Wow, seems like Sinterklaas was very generous for your girls this year ! It is certainly fun to benefit from traditions around the world.

8. Amy

Amy Twinkle Light Checker Merry Forums Member

Wow, this brings back so many memories. My step-father was in the Army and we lived in Belgium for three years.

I can't see the pictures though. :(

9. Petronius

Petronius Eggnog Chugger Merry Forums Member

Sinter Klaas in Belgium