Jeff Westover

Chief Elf Officer
MMC Founder
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2004
Cache Valley, Utah
jeffwestover.com
We'd like to announce the use of a theme we have been working on for a while...and that we hope will work completely for those who want to use it.

We're calling it "Scrooge" -- because it's very dark, with rich deep green colors.

scrooge-theme.JPG

To access this new theme please go to your preference page in the user control panel and select it as you would any theme. You can always switch it back if you don't like it.

Please be aware -- this is a totally DARK theme. So if you use custom user name colors you might want to check it out just to see what your name looks like. While it might appear ok to you, others may not be able to see if depening upon what theme they are using.

I did rush this, so please let me know if you see something that needs fixing.

Rich

Christmas Royalty
MMC Donor
MMC Premiere
Sep 23, 2010
Warner Robins, GA
Just two things that I saw right of way. (Desktop, Win 10, Chrome browser)
1. The colored text does not show up well. That may be hard to overcome.
colored text.JPG
2. The side menu goes away. Gotta have the new side menu. Love it.
side menu.JPG

Jeff Westover

Chief Elf Officer
MMC Founder
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2004
Cache Valley, Utah
jeffwestover.com
Just two things that I saw right of way. (Desktop, Win 10, Chrome browser)
1. The colored text does not show up well. That may be hard to overcome.
View attachment 70409
2. The side menu goes away. Gotta have the new side menu. Love it.
View attachment 70410

Thanks, Rich. Excellent feedback.

And yes, the user capabilities of customizing different elements is very much at risk in darker themes. There's a reason that Facebook, Google, Instagram, Pinterest, etc all have light themes. The only reason I'm messing with light and dark is that there is an onus now on websites over accessibility. We have a responsibility to be available and usable for folks with any kind of a disability. That's a real challenge. It is going to take some fair degree of customization to get these different themes exactly right.

On the side menu -- are you talking the left side menu? I'm with you, I LOVE it. I like it for a variety of reasons, mostly because it takes me anywhere quickly. But it is also totally dismissable -- a really awesome feature.

Scrooge, however, is built on a different framework. It's a fixed width look, where as our core theme is completely responsive. Our core theme is what will be our main focus because of things like sidebars that are so flexible. This framework works well on all kinds of different devices. So we are definitely working on some darker alternatives with it.

Reactions: Rich

Rich

Christmas Royalty
MMC Donor
MMC Premiere
Sep 23, 2010
Warner Robins, GA
Understood. Thanks for all you do!!!

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums