Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Shopping in stores vs shopping online.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kelly ann, Oct 15, 2019.

1. kelly ann

kelly ann Christmasologist Merry Forums Member

Gosh! I've been a member of this site for 12 years! I can't believe where the time has gone.
    Thinking back to twelve years ago, I did a lot of my Christmas shopping in actual shops. We had a lot more places in our town that sold toys but now the main ones have closed, Toys R Us to name one, I'm finding it increasingly difficult to find anything. It seems like it's getting less and less every year. Last year I did most of my shopping online and its just not the same. Sign of the times, I know but... Very sad.

Are you finding this also?

He_Is_Born and Dudley like this.
  2. Dudley

Dudley Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

There are certainly less options of places to walk in and price shop.

kelly ann likes this.
  3. Jeff Westover

Jeff Westover Chief Santa Tracker MMC Founder Santa's Elf Kringle Radio DJ

It is funny, as time has gone on we've actually ended up making our Christmas less about shopping. It used to be quite a thing because it was a fun tradition to "go Christmas shopping". No more though. You have to endure Walmart or Target or the likes of other bland and tasteless Christmas experiences.

So we don't shop any more.

I tell my children and grands now what it was like. When I was a kid my Dad would take us to the local drug store -- back then that WAS the big store in our little town and it was wonderful.

He'd get a big shopping bag for each of us from the cashier and we'd all sneak would the store putting our treasures into the bag -- perfume for Mom, golf balls for Dad, small toys and candy for the sibs. When we were done we'd put our bags on the counter, put our names on it, and when Dad had all five bags in hand, the cashier would ring it up and he'd pay for it all while we waited in the car for him. One stop shopping. Can you imagine a store letting you do that these days. We loved doing it and couldn't wait to do it each year as we made our lists.

These days with my children we do "themed" Christmas name draws. There's a store here that started our years ago as an army surplus store. It still has that stuff but they expanded into any kind of surplus decades ago. They are the most unusual place and you could spend hours in there finding all kinds of weird stuff. One year our theme was to shop only at that store and the gifts on Christmas morning were a scream. I got a parachute, my son got a potato peeler, a daughter got a real skull (guaranteed to be more than 50 years old).

Since we have our grandsons living with us again this year I will have all my children and grands for Christmas. We've already decided the theme will be "I wanna be Jax". Jax is my four year old grandson and he's a riot. The idea is to get everyone what they wanted as four year old children. Can't wait to see what people come up with.

4. angelpugs

angelpugs Dang Near Santa Himself MMC Lifer Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum

I shop online as i look for those things that you can't find in stores much anymore but,i also love going to flea markets and other country shops to get things.

kelly ann likes this.
  5. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award Kringle Radio DJ

We have malls and shopping centers nearby (although they're thinning out: no more Sears, JCPenney, Toys R Us ...), but we just don't like crowds. We tend to pick up gifts throughout the year when we're out shopping for other things, and keep them in a "stash" until it's time to wrap them.

I have a memory from way back when I was a toddler, before the malls were built ... going shopping with my parents downtown, with the decorations arching at intervals over the streets, and Santa ringing his bell on the corner. As I recall, I went with my mom for a while, while my dad shopped alone, then we met up with my dad and I went with him and my mom shopped alone. Much later I realized they had probably split up so they could shop for each other and for me without revealing their purchases! It's a way-back, dim memory, but I still think of it whenever I hear "Silver Bells."

He_Is_Born, Dudley and kelly ann like this.
  6. KimB

KimB Chestnut Roaster Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

Jeff, I can so relate to your post. I was born and raised in a tiny village in the Adirondacks. We had two main stores in which to shop. One was a drugstore and the other a hardware store. They both carried plenty of toys. My grandmother had an account and I was allowed to put things on her account.

Back then (50s and 60s) common Christmas gifts were cigarettes, alcohol, and perfume. My grandfather always bought my mom (his DIL) a bottle of Channel No.5 perfume, wrapped it and put it in the tree on Christmas eve. People gave him cartons of cigarettes and my dad, who worked for the post office, received dozens of bottles of booze even though he only drank beer.

If we traveled 17 miles South, there was a Sears order and pickup. It was at the post office. When the catalogs came in I sat for hours pouring over my "wish list." Then I circled the things I wanted and hoped to get. A month later, we'd get a call that our "order" was in so that meant I probably got something off the list.

I lived in that village for 22 years. When I came to Florida, my how things changed. There were so many stores and I really enjoyed Christmas shopping, even on a very limited budget. Even if I didn't buy anything!

Now, things have changed. I give gift cards and money. Maybe, once in awhile, I order something online but I never go into the stores to shop. I don't have children or close relatives so most of my gifts go to people in need or friends.

7. Dudley

We always try to get something for our niece's and nephew's families. My preference is to always get a gift and try to avoid giving gift cards.

Last year we saw a really pretty Christmas Serving Platter, so we bought 10 of them and sent them around the country.

kelly ann and Christmasplease like this.
  8. Christmasplease

Christmasplease Ornament Craftsman MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Talk Alum

I will do most shopping online this year. Some stores that aren’t crazy are ok to go into. I have a grandchild and to grand nephews, so I’ll head into ToysRus during the day, since they’re not too busy yet.

kelly ann likes this.
  9. JoseChung

JoseChung Chestnut Roaster Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

in my 20's I was always buzzed to be walking around the crowded shops, listen to the music and trying to pick out presents. Now the thoughts of crowds bug the crap outta me!

I'll still do a trip round the shops but it will be at 9am when they open, once or twice in December. The rest of the time I'll buy online and focus on making my home christmasy and festive as that's where the fun is and where memories are made.

kelly ann likes this.
  10. kelly ann

You still have a toys r us! Lucky!

Christmasplease likes this.
  11. kelly ann

I love to shop at night too. Over here we have something called late night shopping beginning in December for one or two days a week.

JoseChung likes this.
  12. amypep

amypep Merry Forums Newbie Merry Forums Member

I like to shop in stores, but I just find that the merchandise in stores has gotten more and more generic. So I do most of my shopping online to find the perfect thing and then I take a sort of ceremonial trip to the mall or downtown.

I also go out on one shopping trip with my Dad to buy something for him to give Mom. We've been doing that since I was little - so 40ish years?

kelly ann likes this.
  13. KimB

KimB Chestnut Roaster Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

When the mall was very popular, all the stores stayed open until midnight from Black Friday to Christmas. Now, just some of the stores have extended hours. It would be funny to walk through and see someone getting their hair cut or a manicure at 11:30pm.

kelly ann likes this.
  14. Dudley

I bought a TV from Best Buy by ordering it online at 9am and then picked it up in the store at 10:30am. So I guess I did both.

15. Kouli

Kouli Merry Forums Newbie Merry Forums Member

I usually roam the stores hoping to find the perfect gifts, but when that fails I like to shop on Etsy so I can custom order different products like t-shirts or car decals.

16. Dudley

As a general rule I will not roam stores looking at things that could be gifts for someone. When I go shopping I have a list of what I want and for who.