Some Thanksgiving help required....

JOHNOR

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 24, 2007
England
hi all,

i have decided to host my own thanksgiving dinner (just for my partner and i) this year as it's a holiday that's always fascinated me (i'm from england, as you'll all know we don't do thanksgiving in the uk)

so, what do i do? any advice on what to cook and what the day should be like so that it is as authentic as it can be? i'm really looking forward to it!

oh yeah, and what date is it in november? *hangs head in shame*

Undrtakr

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 16, 2004
London Ontario Canada
Well I dont know what the date is for the US Thanksgiving because Im Canadian :p BUT we have turkey, mashed potatoes with gravey, rolls, sweet potatoes and turnip. Pie for desert. :)

Janet

Reindeer Pooper Scooper
MMC Member
Jul 27, 2008
Pinetop,AZ
Thanksgiving in the US is on November 27 this year. To eat we usually have turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, greenbeans, mac and cheese and for dessert sweet potato pie, pumpkin pie or banana pudding...ok i'm hungry now..lol

MsChristmas

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 8, 2008
Maryland, USA
Im from the US and I saw someone already posted that our Thanksgiving is Thursday November 27th this year. Thanksgiving is usually a different date every year but is always the 4th Thursday in November. We watch the Macy's Day parade on TV (The parade is live in New York City) but I live outside of Baltimore, Maryland about 3 1/2 hours away. Then we eat eat eat haha. Turkey of course, mashed potatoes, stuffing, sweet potatoes, corn, rolls, green bean caserole, pumpkin pie etc. I go over my in laws first and then my parents. Even here in the US each family does vary on what exactly they eat. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving, let us know how it turns out!

:carve:

Maureen

Merry Forums Super Administrator
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Aug 24, 2007
Displaced Canadian now in Perthshire, Scotland
We have Thanksgiving every year but as I'm Canadian, ours is on the 2nd Monday of October - you are more than welcome to join us

We have roast turkey, all the trimmings (see below) and pumpkin pie. Let me know if you need a source for pumpkin - I cheat and use the tinned variety (I like E D Smith's) and I can give you a note of where to get it if you like!!!:stuffed:

C

cheryl65

Thanksgiving is a wonderful holiday, we should all take time to reflect with those we love on what we are thankful for.

Our dinner always consists of turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans and carrots, rolls, cranberry sauce, and pumpking pie. We always have black and green olives olives and celery stuffed with cream cheese to munch on prior to dinner as well. family memebers may bring something different to add some years, but nothing from what i listed is ever taken away, lol. One year we had dinner up north with my ex inlaws, and i thought i was going to cry, their dinner was not the same as what i'm used to and i was devastated by it, lol.

JOHNOR

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 24, 2007
England
thanks so much for the help (any other ideas/suggestions are welcome!) i'm really looking forward to it!

so, you all keep mentioning "pie". to me, pie is a savoury dish - chicken and mushroom, steak and ale etc... the pies you guys eat, would they be like cake over here or maybe like cheesecake or something?

mschristmas - i've always wanted to go to baltimore!

maureen- quick question, do you have any idea where we would get eggnog in the UK? i know it's a bit early, but come november i would imagine it's sold here? i can just never find it!

kelly ann

Christmasologist
MMC Member
Oct 15, 2007
swansea. uk
thanks so much for the help (any other ideas/suggestions are welcome!) i'm really looking forward to it!

so, you all keep mentioning "pie". to me, pie is a savoury dish - chicken and mushroom, steak and ale etc... the pies you guys eat, would they be like cake over here or maybe like cheesecake or something?

mschristmas - i've always wanted to go to baltimore!

maureen- quick question, do you have any idea where we would get eggnog in the UK? i know it's a bit early, but come november i would imagine it's sold here? i can just never find it!

If you're talking about Advaccat (i think thats how you spell it) have you checked the supermarkets?

dominick

MMC Emeritus
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 9, 2006
South Holland, IL
The pie they speak of is essentially the same as what you're accustomed to, only with a sweet, sometimes jelly-like filling. The consistency of sweet potato or pumpkin pie filling is somewhat like cheesecake, though the shell/crust would be something like what you are familiar with in your savory pies.

I've heard other users from the UK say in the past that they were unable to find eggnog. If you're intent on having some, your best bet may be to just make it yourself, which isn't very difficult at all.

Maureen

MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Aug 24, 2007
Advocaat (or however) isn't eggnog. Eggnog is essentially a non alcoholic drink, usually found in the chiller section of the supermarket next to the milk. It can, however, be doctored into an alcoholic drink!!!!

I have never found it sold over here - but never fear, there are plenty of recipes on this forum for excellent eggnog from scratch.

Pie - Pumpkin pie is more along the look of a cheesecake without fruit on the top. You can't tell me you haven't had an apple or lemon meringue pie??!!! Not all pies are steak and kidney!!

JOHNOR

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 24, 2007
England
looks like i'm going to have to make a batch from scratch to accompany my thanksgiving meal! i'll have a look for some recipes in a minute.

i have to be honest, those sweet pies sound scary!!!!! i'm all for apple pie, cherry pie etc, made with a sweet crust, but don't know whether i would enjoy pumpkin pie.

Maureen

MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Aug 24, 2007
You're right - it's wonderful BUT how do you describe it to someone that's only dealt with the big orange thing?? How do you tell someone that squidgy mess (okay you get rid of the seeds and goop) turns into a REALLY good pie??

Totally new experience for them..........

:))

snowytree

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 16, 2008
GA
Wow I actually had no idea you didn't celebrate Thanksgiving in the UK...Guess I've been under a rock? I suppose I just never really thought about it,but now that Im thinking about it ok...... What made you decide to have Thanksgiving this year if you don't mind me asking?

misjordi

Chestnut Roaster
MMC Member
Sep 6, 2007
Connellsville, PA
Wow I actually had no idea you didn't celebrate Thanksgiving in the UK...Guess I've been under a rock? I suppose I just never really thought about it,but now that Im thinking about it ok...... What made you decide to have Thanksgiving this year if you don't mind me asking?
I also didn't know!! I must be under a rock too, I've joined you!! And good question!!

JOHNOR

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 24, 2007
England

i don't mind you asking at all! the reason i decided to have thanksgiving this year... honest answer? you guys. looking at the forum it seems like such a lovely day to spend with family and you all seem to have a great day. it won't be a full on thanksgiving, i'll just cook some traditional thanksgiving food and put a christmas movie on for me and my OH and quietly thank the lord for what i have!

Maureen

MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Aug 24, 2007
Digressing just for a moment - I think that's one of the great things about this forum. Not only do we get to share in the celebration of Christmas, but we also get to learn so much more about the other countries that all the members come from. Last year, it amazed me how few people realised Canada had Thanksgiving as well and this year that the UK had different holidays (which DOESN'T include Thanksgiving). There is a HUGE world out here, beyond the USA, which everyone can now share and appreciate, thanks to MMC & Co.

:tree:

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image