St.Patricks Day

mommytotwo

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
Oct 3, 2009
Who here celebrates it? In what ways, and do you have any suggestions on things that we can do for this day?

Sapsorrow

Twinkle Light Checker
MMC Member
Jan 4, 2010
State of Anticipation
We celebrate it, as I'm half Irish. We don't do anything that exciting: just wear green and go to the local Irish pub for a nice dinner. I might have a bit of Guinness, since I'm fond of it. This year we'll be on vacation, so I'm not sure what we'll do.

Annette

Christmas Princess
MMC Lifer
Oct 2, 2007
Washington
Well we don't get into the hype of it all like green beer etc etc but I do like to make corned beef and cabbage then (and usually a few times throughout the year). But I don't decorate or anything (my big decorating days are Halloween and Christmas pretty much).

Irishsnow

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
Dec 5, 2005
Ireland
I celebrate St Patrick's Day.

As its our national holiday here in Ireland.

Maureen

Merry Forums Super Administrator
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Aug 24, 2007
Displaced Canadian now in Perthshire, Scotland
I think I should make it my personal mission to make St David's Day (Wales) St George's Day (England) and St Andrew's Day (Scotland) as publicised as St Patrick - especially for those who don't like green!!!!

judesmama

...Noel, Hilda, and Evan’s mama, too!
MMC Lifer
Jul 8, 2008
Out in the country!
I usually make some soda bread, corned beef or ham and cabbage, and colcannon.

Sapsorrow

Twinkle Light Checker
MMC Member
Jan 4, 2010
State of Anticipation
I think I should make it my personal mission to make St David's Day (Wales) St George's Day (England) and St Andrew's Day (Scotland) as publicised as St Patrick - especially for those who don't like green!!!!

Great idea! I'll celebrate all three right with you:

Feast of St. David is March 1st
Feast of St. George is April 23rd
Feast of St. Andrew is November 30th

So how shall we celebrate?

Solice

Christmas Royalty
MMC Lifer
Dec 31, 2008
Scandinavian
My husband birthday is March 17 so we celebrate him.
BUT March 17 2006 we celebrated in Dublin Irland!
That was much fun, and my husband now always put on his St.Patricks hat on his birthday. lol..

Sapsorrow

Twinkle Light Checker
MMC Member
Jan 4, 2010
State of Anticipation
Oo! Just stopping by to add to my "how we celebrate St. Patrick's Day" story: our local Irish pub is going to have the local step dancing school doing a recital during their St. Patty's Day celebration! It's going to be a ball this year.

Bradmac

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!
MMC Lifer
Nov 7, 2008
Bellville, GA
The only celebrating I really do for St. Patty's Day is, my band usually plays down on River St. in Savannah. That's always a blast!

Murphman

Santa Beagle
MMC Lifer
Jun 16, 2009
NC
Many years ago, my in-law's would host a huge St. Paddy's day party on the closest Saturday to the holiday. They would invite everyone they knew and it was quite a sight seeing 50+ people cram into their small house for a few hours. Unfortunately I only participated in three of them before my MIL suddenly passed and the tradition went with it.

My wife has talked for over 10 years about re-starting it at our house. However, March is my busiest time of the year at work plus most of our friends have young kids (including us) so the thought of having two dozen of them running around our house sounds kind of hectic. Her parents waited until their kids were teens before starting so I think we will too.

mommytotwo

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
Oct 3, 2009
I make corned beef and cabbage along with potatoes, and carrots.

For St.Patricks Day breakfast, I make green pancakes for my daughter, and she wears green so that she doesn't get pinched at school.

made582

MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Apr 15, 2009
Greenfield, Indiana
I always make corned beef but I don't like cabbage so I don't make it.

trackrebel

candy cane hustla
MMC Lifer
Aug 23, 2008
Germany
sports.groups.yahoo.com
I celebrate it....cos it´s my birthday....:D....but I know my relatives over in States do kinda celebrate it....at least they are wearing green....don´t know if they got some irish heritage as well....but they do sell it....saw my 1 year old great-great-great cousin wearing a Kiss Me I´m Irish shirt....just looking cute

made582

MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Apr 15, 2009
Greenfield, Indiana
Excuse my ignorance, but what does it mean ' I make green pancakes for my daughter and she wears green so that she doesn't get pinched at school'.

Is green a type of protective colour to stop other children pinching her? Maybe if I wear green moskitos would no longer bit (pinch) me.

Here is what I found-

Pinching those not wearing green on St. Patrick's Day is an American tradition, having really nothing to do with Ireland or St. Patrick. It's thought that the pinching started in the early 1700s, about the time that awareness of St. Patrick's as a holiday came to the fore, too, in Boston, in the Massachusetts colony. They thought if you wore green, it made you invisible to the Leprechauns, which was good because they would pinch anyone they could see. So the pinching is to warn and remind you about the Leprechauns.

mommytotwo

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
Oct 3, 2009
Excuse my ignorance, but what does it mean ' I make green pancakes for my daughter and she wears green so that she doesn't get pinched at school'.

Is green a type of protective colour to stop other children pinching her? Maybe if I wear green moskitos would no longer bit (pinch) me.

Here is what I found-

Pinching those not wearing green on St. Patrick's Day is an American tradition, having really nothing to do with Ireland or St. Patrick. It's thought that the pinching started in the early 1700s, about the time that awareness of St. Patrick's as a holiday came to the fore, too, in Boston, in the Massachusetts colony. They thought if you wore green, it made you invisible to the Leprechauns, which was good because they would pinch anyone they could see. So the pinching is to warn and remind you about the Leprechauns.

Thank you made582. And as for the green pancakes, I just add a drop of food coloring into the pancake batter so that it turns brown. Just a fun thing that my daughter looks forward to each St.Patricks day.

Sapsorrow

Twinkle Light Checker
MMC Member
Jan 4, 2010
State of Anticipation
Oops, I don't think we have anything green for the baby to wear. Well, no one around here would pinch her!

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image