Thanksgiving 2023 Thread

LadyLynn

The Christmas Freak
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Jun 22, 2020
Riverton, Utah
You know how at an amusement park if you have a favorite ride, when you finish riding, you get back in line to ride again. That is what we do here in the Thanksgiving threads. We just got off the Thanksgiving 2022 ride and we are already back in line for the Thanksgiving 2023 ride. I really love it.

Edge612

Santa's Mentor
MMC Premiere
Oct 7, 2011
DAYS TILL THANKSGIVING: 362
DAYS TILL NOVEMBER: 340
DAYS TILL THE BERS: 279

Happy Thanksgiving Weekend! Today folks we have 362 days remaining until Thanksgiving, 340 days to go until November, and 279 days left until The Bers. Our next (and first) milestone of this thread will be on Thursday when December arrives and we begin the 11-month long journey back on the road to November. Amazing. I was thinking yesterday how I love the Thanksgiving count being 350+. Why? The freshness of it. Something about saying it’s at least 50 weeks to go until something always makes me smile. Honestly knowing we have so much time to enjoy here together makes me happy about it. I always joke to my friend in early January how I don’t want to leave early January because I can say how we have 50 weeks (or more) until Christmas. I like that feeling in a strange way. I’m sure part of it is we’re still so close to the one we just had it makes it feel like we’re holding on to Thanksgiving as much as we can right now without wanting to let go. But I have started my Christmas shopping. A good amount of it. And I’m hoping you all are enjoying this thread in the extremely early stages of it. Remember what we said about Fri, Sat, Sun being our laid-back time in this thread. That’s kind of how it’s kicking off this weekend. And then we’ll bring back all our favorites Mon, Tues, Wed, Thu each week. We’ll go more into detail tomorrow. Enjoy those turkey leftovers my friends. Have a great Thanksgiving Weekend!​

Last edited:

DecemberisComing

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Apr 21, 2019
Illinois
Black Friday is in the books, leftovers are dwindling, and I am going to finish putting away Fall decor today, and I still have the entire weekend ahead of me. Another reason Thanksgiving is the best, having Saturday and Sunday to relax. And at the end of the weekend I have the first Monday of the new Thanksgiving 2023 to look forward to! Great day, great thread!

Christmaswarlock

Santa's Sleigh Designer
MMC Member
Nov 18, 2018
Atlanta
Happy Saturday everyone! I hit my turkey limit today. Luckily still plenty of my taters,stuffing and gravy left and corn. Turkey panini's in awhile and no more for me (unless they are great). Gotta make my cookie list today to give out mid December.

Christmaswarlock

Santa's Sleigh Designer
MMC Member
Nov 18, 2018
Atlanta
Black Friday is in the books, leftovers are dwindling, and I am going to finish putting away Fall decor today, and I still have the entire weekend ahead of me. Another reason Thanksgiving is the best, having Saturday and Sunday to relax. And at the end of the weekend I have the first Monday of the new Thanksgiving 2023 to look forward to! Great day, great thread!
I already heard everyone planning next year already. Paper flying, pencil shavings scattered....

SolidSnake84

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Sep 14, 2019
Virginia
Hard to believe we were just looking forward to this time. Fall flashed by this year!
View attachment 102058

Breathtaking. Fall went by fast. I think at the very end of Holly's pregnancy, the worry that I was having as the due date approached really made the time go fast.

Just one more reason why I am looking so forward to next year. I feel like it's never too soon to get excited for a good thing!

The_Escalation

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Jun 25, 2020
Texas
So let's take an informal survey:

Do you get more bummed out when Halloween ends, or when Thanksgiving ends?

I promise I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer here. Just trying to work through some feelings. This is a hard question for me, and I'll probably need a day or two to think about it. When Halloween ends, it is kind of a bummer because we're halfway through the Bers at that point, and September - October are very different in "feel" than November - December.

On the other hand, when Thanksgiving ends, it's hard to be bummed out, at least for too long, because we know the Christmas season is here in full effect, and Thanksgiving is such a joyous holiday and ushering in of such an occasion. But, there's still that feeling of loss when Thanksgiving ends because it is such a GREAT holiday, and the build-up to it is so exciting.

This isn't anything like post-Christmas blues, but I'm definitely kinda feeling it now that Thanksgiving 2022 is in the books.

Edge612

Santa's Mentor
MMC Premiere
Oct 7, 2011

I promise I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer here. Just trying to work through some feelings. This is a hard question for me, and I'll probably need a day or two to think about it. When Halloween ends, it is kind of a bummer because we're halfway through the Bers at that point, and September - October are very different in "feel" than November - December.

On the other hand, when Thanksgiving ends, it's hard to be bummed out, at least for too long, because we know the Christmas season is here in full effect, and Thanksgiving is such a joyous holiday and ushering in of such an occasion. But, there's still that feeling of loss when Thanksgiving ends because it is such a GREAT holiday, and the build-up to it is so exciting.

This isn't anything like post-Christmas blues, but I'm definitely kinda feeling it now that Thanksgiving 2022 is in the books.
I think that I get a little sad when any holiday passes...even 4th of July. If it's a holiday I like and it ends I'm like darn I wish that I could do it again. But to answer your question - I think that i get a little more bummed when Halloween ends only because it has more of a full season to it and I do more activities for it during the month leading up to it. So I kind of miss doing those things. Thanksgiving, of course I miss the day and the build/feel of the whole autumn season. But it's hard to get too bummed as you say because now look we are in Christmas 24/7!

Edge612

Santa's Mentor
MMC Premiere
Oct 7, 2011
DAYS TILL THANKSGIVING: 361
DAYS TILL NOVEMBER: 339
DAYS TILL THE BERS: 278

Happy Thanksgiving Wrap-Up! Today folks we have 361 days remaining until Thanksgiving, 339 days left until November, and 278 days to go until The Bers. Our next milestone (which will also be our first milestone) will be the Arrival Of December as we will then begin our 11-month journey and that will happen on Thursday. I talked about the freshness of this thread and how I enjoy it well we still got lots of time to go here in the Happy Holidays portion of our thread to enjoy more freshness as that Thanksgiving count is humongous. So be it. It just means we’re in our holiday season and that is just another reason we love Thanksgiving so much is not only for the week/month/bers/and Thanksgiving itself but also what follows it with our treasured and precious Christmas Season. It’s Sunday so we keep it low-key as we like to do every week Friday through Sunday. Gives us kind of a 3-day weekend feel every week in this thread and I kind of like that. But all our regulars are coming back starting tomorrow in the new thread. You know them. Monday – Weekly Countdown Till Thanksgiving Week, Tuesday – Thanksgiving Pictures, Wednesday – Weekly Poll, Thursday – Thanksgiving Thought Thursday which has kind of become the most significant I’d say in a short time period. Definitely on Thursdays here folks this year I want to focus on them more and that’s one reason I tried out the Thanksgiving Thought Thursday. Have a great Thanksgiving Wrap-Up!​

Last edited:

SolidSnake84

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Sep 14, 2019
Virginia

I think I am definitely "down" after Halloween ends. I have turned "Halloween Season" into a pretty good chunk of time, as I start up with "Fall Pre-Season", and run Fall / Spooky everything all the way up until Halloween. And like you said, We're halfway through The Bers by that point, but quite honestly, The Bers are basically "over", at least mentally, on Thanksgiving night. So it's hard to say goodbye to all of it. Thanksgiving is totally different because it's all excitement and happiness going forward from that point. It's really hard for me to miss The Bers, Halloween, and Thanksgiving, when Christmas Season has finally taken center stage.

But boy, when that last week of December hits, I think then I miss them ALL at once. Part of what makes reaching January so cathartic is the realization and reality that the "climb" is slowly beginning. Those first batch of "Special Days" (Tom Turkey Day, Rudolph Day, JOL Day) might be among some of the most special of the year, just because of how good they feel to "break the ice" and tak in some of the holiday feels again, because my meter is basically empty by that point in time.

What a great point to bring up! I think it's healthy to talk about that stuff!

ballcoach

Christmasologist
MMC Lifer
Jan 1, 2017

I don't think I get sad after any of them...except Christmas...and that is just for a day or two...

But I will say that I enjoy Thanksgiving much more than Halloween...so I would pick Thanksgiving.

Irish75

Sugar Cookie Tester
MMC Member
Jan 7, 2018
Pittsburgh

I think I have a passing sadness when each Holiday ends, but it is just a thought and then gone. Obviously Christmas is the worst since it ends the best time of the year and then we kind of enter a dead period. I think I have gotten away from the PCBs though.

Thanksgiving probably brings the least. But as I have said before Thanksgiving is more about a day than season to me. I think ending a season affects me more.

As years pass I really enjoy fall/Halloween more and more, so I definitely reflect some more when Halloween is over. I just love the feel of September 1st to Halloween.

My post Holiday blues especially Christmas are really minimal these days. Enjoying most of the holidays throughout the year plus milestones and minidays have done wonders for that. Spooky Spring has been a great addition and fills in a great gap.

I now understand everything has its own time and place. Its keeps everything special and exciting. I also have done a better job of enjoying the here and now.

The great part is we get to repeat and enjoy the cycle every year.

LadyLynn

The Christmas Freak
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Jun 22, 2020
Riverton, Utah

Whether it is a holiday, a family get-together or a birthday or anniversary. I don't really get bummed out, but rather a little twinge that it is over. It never lasts long and then I am looking forward to whatever the next thing is. I try to always have something to look forward to.

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image