Thanksgiving Disasters!

bigbearfla58

Mistletoe Hanger
MMC Lifer
Jan 14, 2008
:piggyback::gobble:I've been watching FOOD NETWORK all week and they had many viewers write in to talk about their Thanksgiving Day disasters! Now I want to hear about yours!

Now I know you think I'm perfect, and so modest but I will come out of the Thanksgiving Oven to confess that one time, I had my Thanksgiving disaster of disasters!

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away, (que up STAR WARS THEME) it was the 2nd Thanksgiving after my Grandmother passed away and I have no idea to this very day what possess me but, I added at least 5 cups of water to the roasting pan so I'd have a lot of gravy! I also added at least 4 large over sized sprigs of fresh Rosemary. Five hours later my turkey was still raw and the gravy was green as a Christmas tree.

To say the very least I was crushed, devastated and embarrassed, not necessarily in that order. After having a good cry in the kitchen I told everyone that the turkey was raw and that I was starting a new tradition this year of having Thanksgiving dinner backwards! They all loved it and by the time they got done eating all of the side dishes (3 hours later) the turkey wasn't raw anymore! Part of me still wonders to this day how none of us got sick from this turkey!

This Thanksgiving disaster inspired me to develop my now legendary turkey roasting method and make ahead-prep-ahead dinner plans!

Now I've told you about my disaster I want to hear all about yours!

Since this is Thanksgiving Day I'm very much looking forward to hearing all about your Thanksgiving Day success or disasters tomorrow! Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people

snowytree

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 16, 2008
GA
I can't think of any major disasters...but every year without fail we burn the rolls! It has happened so much that it has become a joke to laugh about every year.cheesy

Reactions: 1 person

bigbearfla58

Mistletoe Hanger
MMC Lifer
Jan 14, 2008
I have never burned the rolls but back in the day I used to burn my pumpkn pie The filliing was great but the crust and the top of the pie were burned to a crisp!

RadioJonD

♪♫~Guru of Yule Audio~♫♪
MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Santa's Elf
Christmas Talk Alum
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2005
Moon Winx Motor Lodge
radiojond.tumblr.com
Other Than Food-Pas: 8 Tips for Surviving Thanksgiving with Your Family

Not food, but another potential disasters!

This was in the Employee Assistance Program newsletter emailed today to State Employees. RJD

8 Tips for Surviving Thanksgiving with Your Family

For some families, holidays are just another excuse to get together to eat good food and to have a good time. If you have a challenging family, it’s only human to be a bit jealous to see other folks living out the holiday fantasy when you’re just trying to live through it. Just because it’s always been that way doesn’t mean you’re doomed to a lifetime of Thanksgivings where you just grin and go to your happy place until, thank goodness, it’s over! With a little planning and some social engineering, you can take control of the situation and make this Thanksgiving feel better.

Consider using the following tips to avoid at least some of the usual family drama:

Line up some co-conspirators. Chances are you’re not the only one who is irked by your family’s dysfunctional routines. Figure out who you can call on to help make things different. Then brainstorm ways to steer certain
individual’s most troublesome antics in a different direction.

Give challenging relatives an assignment. Is someone always critical of the menu? Ask her if she would please bring that complicated dish that is her trademark so she’ll have a place to shine. Is there a teenager who mopes
about, bringing everyone down? Maybe offer to pay him to entertain the younger set for a couple hours after dinner so the adults can talk.

Invite “buffers.” Most people’s manners improve when outsiders enter the scene. Think about elderly people in your church or community whose grown children live far away, or divorced friends whose kids are with the other
parent this year.

Nowhere is it written that you must serve alcohol. If there are problem drinkers in the family, let everyone know ahead of time that you are holding an alcohol-free party. Everyone will be spared another holiday ruined by
someone’s inability to handle their drinking.

Take charge of seating. Have some of the younger kids make place cards and assign seats. Folks are less likely to switch places when admiring kids’ handiwork. Put people who rub each other the wrong way at opposite ends
of the table. Seat the most troublesome person next to you so you can head off unfortunate conversation topics as soon as they start.

Give kids a way to be included. Then set them free. Kids are simply not going to enjoy being trapped at a table with adults (especially dysfunctional adults) for extended periods of time. They get restless. Yes, they should be
expected to behave during the meal but head off complaints by planning something for them to do while the adults linger at the table. Movies, board games and crafts are all good ideas.

Provide escape routes. Togetherness is not for everyone. If most people will be watching football, set up a movie in another room for those who want out. Ask for help in the kitchen to give the overwhelmed person a graceful way to withdraw from the bore who is boring her. Suggest a before or after-dinner walk for people who need a breather.

After everyone leaves, reward yourself. Sink into your favorite chair and give yourself credit for trying to make a difference. It takes a lot of
time and effort to make significant change in the habits and attitudes of one’s family. Any small step in the right direction is something to
be thankful for. Good for you!

Article by: By Marie Hartwell-Walker, ED.D.

Reactions: 2 people

joyful

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 25, 2006
northeast USA
I can't think of a past experience but I may be heading for an experience this year. I'm not cooking dinner. I am taking a break from doing Thanksgiving dinner so we shall see what the future brings, I'll keep you posted.

Spyells

Sugar Cookie Tester
MMC Member
Sep 25, 2011
California
My Thanksgiving disaster happened a few years ago. I was baking a cake when my little brothers grandmother came to visit. I was distracted trying to help entertain, so I forgot that I usually pour the cake batter into four cake pans to cook so that the pan isn't full to the brim. I poured the batter into two pans because my mind was was thinking that I always make a cake with two layers when I frost it. Let's just say it didn't take long for disaster to strike. I checked the cake batter fifteen minutes later to discover that it was falling out the edges of the pan. I was horrified and I immediately took it out. The center of the cake on both pans was still batter but the top was baked. I felt so bad because my family likes to eat yellow cakes. My mom ran to the store, but of course since it was Thanksgiving, she couldn't find yellow cake mix. We had to settle for a butter cake mix that no one really likes. So that would be my Thanksgiving disaster. :-(

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image