Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

That Christmas You'll Never Forget

Discussion in 'Traditions & Memories' started by angelpugs, Aug 12, 2017.

1. angelpugs

angelpugs Ornament Craftsman Christmas Crew Christmas Card Exchange 2017 MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

As i believe most of us have that one christmas that stands out for one reason or another,it just seems to stick with us as there has been one that just sticks with me i guess because it was special.We lived on our farm and it was a very cold and snowy holiday which looking back it was a blizzard and my grandparents stayed with us my dad and grandfather brought wood in for the woodstove.My mom and grandmother lit the lanterns and candles as we had power the used them and the only thing lit was the tree which days before we cut ourselves from up in back.I remember the homemade hot cocoa going on the woodstove and the smell of pine that flowed through the house and we enjoyed some cookies which we're still a bit warm and my grandfather telling us a christmas story.Christmas morning was grandma's hot chocolate and oranges,banana's as we gathered by the tree to unwrap our gifts which we got to just grab and open.Christmas dinner always smelled good which most was from scratch and although the food smelled good so did that pine from our tree and the fresh greens which my mom and grandmother made decor for the house.Christmas was always special at our home but,this one has stuck with me,that christmas we got new knitted hats and mittens and we got a quilt made by my grandmother and mother which we loved so very much.Looking back that christmas i will hold so dear an near to my heart.

2. Holiday

Holiday North Pole Resident MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum

I've told this story before but my most memorable was mom, dad, my sister & I going to church on Christmas Eve (after supper) - when we got home, Santa had come & my brother was full of soot. It was all over his clothes & his hands. He was so excited as he explained to me how he got to meet Santa & he helped him carry the gifts in through the fireplace! I was totally amazed!!! Couldn't believe he actually got to help SANTA!!

Another one is the year this same brother was in Honduras through the Peace Corps, & my Grandma was in Florida for the winter! We were having Christmas Eve at my parents when there was a knock on the patio door. We opened the door to find 2 big packages standing there! We unwrapped it & of course it was my brother & my Grandma! That was a great celebration!!

pattyjo, SnowflakeMom and Minta like this.
  3. Branimal84

Branimal84 Limited Member MMC Premiere Member MMC Member

A few years ago, my girlfriend ended up having to spend Christmas Eve away and for the first time in my life, I was alone on Christmas Eve. This isn't a sad story though. It was actually a very lowkey, low stress holiday. I lazed around on the couch with my cat, ordered a pizza, watched Christmas movies and listened to music.

The next day, I woke up early and began making Christmas dinner. When my girlfriend arrived home later in the day, we ate and opened presents. It was pretty perfect.

I had a bunch of memorable ones from when I was a kid, but they sort of all blend together.

Holiday likes this.
  4. ballcoach

ballcoach Eggnog Chugger MMC Lifer

Thank you for sharing that....as I visualize that in my mind, it is so beautiful!

Holiday likes this.
  5. angelpugs

angelpugs Ornament Craftsman Christmas Crew Christmas Card Exchange 2017 MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

Thank you,i had many wonderful thanksgiving and christmas holidays as each day was so very special,we may not have had alot but,we had each other and the love our family shared made my growing up so precious,i still have those holiday's as that's what it is about family and the love that is shared within our hearts and our homes.

Holiday likes this.
  6. pattyjo

pattyjo Elf Supervisor MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

My memorial moment would be when my older brother, myself and younger would wake up on Christmas morning around about 4 in the morning and look at what Santa brought for us and then we wait around telling
    Christmas stories until mum and dad woke up, and then we open our gifts from Santa, but we then had to have breakfast first before we got to open the other pressies under the tree, and we have to wait for the older children to arrive with there families( I come from a big family , so I have lots of nieces and nephews), and we play around with our gifts and then it would be lunch time, so then we go next door to my Grandmothers and we have a feast with cousins , aunties and friends. After lunch we head over to the beach which was about 500 metres away and play cricket and swim and the rest of the day the adults relaxed and drank and the kids were playing or getting up to mischief and we eat leftovers for dinner...

Holiday likes this.
  7. Rennabelle

Rennabelle Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class MMC Lifer

My most memorable Christmas was when I was about 7. I always wanted a bike and was always riding my brothers bikes. Back in the 50's the boys bikes had a bar across the top by the seat. I was so small that I had to duck under the bar to the bike. My parents always got after me for riding it as they thought that I was going to get hurt badly if I crashed it. Behind the Christmas tree I could see a bike under a blanket and really thought that it was for me but my Uncle that bought the bike said No that it was for my brother Forrest. Forrest was ornery and would snicker saying that he was getting it as I used his to death and he was giving it to his friend that did not have one. I was heart broken. Well when Christmas came and I got a doll and buggy I knew for sure that bike was not mine. Everyone opened their gifts and that bike was still back there and I was puzzled that my brother did not open it. Pretty soon when he went back to get it he wheeled it over in front of me to open. I thought that he wanted to gloat. He asked me to help open it and I reluctantly did and it was the prettiest pink bike I had ever seen. I was out the door and gone. lol.

Holiday, pattyjo and christmasjingles like this.
  8. angelpugs

Getting close to christmas and this crisp cool air takes me back to a christmas where it was snowy,windy out but,so warm inside with my parents and grandparents.Our home always had those scents of christmas as my grandmother would put her nature scents in a pot on the woodstove along with a pot of her homemade chocolate.It was a great christmas as my mom and grandmother were putting the dinner together we sat with my grandfather as he told us a story of a christmas when he was growing up.Christmas back then was a real tree that was chopped from our woods and christmas was some wrapped gifts and a couple that were set by the tree unwrapped.Our stockings my grandmother made were so nice they were made out of quilt type material i wish i still had mine.When it was time for dinner we would gather together and enjoy the food that prepared and on our table was a nice centerpiece made with pine,some birch and red berries with a nice red bow that my grandmother made which the house was done all in fresh greens.My sister and i would help clean up after dinner then we would bundle up to go out sledding for awhile as being cold we didn't stay out long.It was nice coming in as we would have some hot chocolate to warm up and as we gathered around the woodstove to warm up my grandmother would bring in a piece of her homemade apple pie warmed and we would all just sit around watching the tree and enjoying that aroma that was grandma's christmas.As i now have my own country new england cottage i still do christmas's like those i remember as they were the most precious ones to me,i put my grandmothers hot chocolate on my woodstove along with those woodland christmas scents.The one christmas gift that even today is so precious to me is that one when my grandmother took her finger and touched my heart and said 'Christmas is right here' and she kissed me on my forehead that christmas gift will be cherished forever.

Holiday likes this.
  9. Mr. Hankey

Mr. Hankey Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class MMC Premiere Member

I cannot narrow it down to just one in particular but I'll say all the Christmases at my Grandparents house when I was a kid and young adult were unforgettable. And after they passed then Christmases at my Aunt's house. She unfortunately passed away in 2011. Christmas hasn't been the same since.

I'll add that my extended family lives in a different state. Luckily we were able to be there for most Christmases. The Christmases we were not able to make it to it just did not feel like Christmas. Truth be told they were pretty dull.

Holiday and angelpugs like this.
  10. sugarmuffin25

sugarmuffin25 Christmas Fanatic Christmas Card Exchange 2017 MMC Premiere Member MMC Member

All of the Christmas memories I have when my Grandparents were still alive are so precious to me. After we got up and did our presents Christmas morning, my mom would cook a huge breakfast with bacon and eggs and coffee and her homemade iced Danish rolls. My paternal grandfather and my step-grandfather would come over and eat breakfast with us. After that was over, my siblings and parents and I would go to my maternal grandmothers house for presents and a wonderful dinner. My Grandma gave us the best stockings!!

However, one of my family's favorite Christmas memories is the year my brother played a trick on me. I may have told this story on the forum at one point already! Inevitably, someone in my family brings up this story EVERY year. I was about 25 and just out of college and didn't have much money. My brother gave my sister and I each gifts but also gave us each a card with 5 scratch off lottery tickets in it. She scratched hers and didn't win anything. Then I scratched mine, and the last one said I won ten thousand dollars. I started stuttering and calling my sisters name over and over. She was across the room, and when I got her attention and told her I had won she didn't believe me! I started jumping up and down in the middle of the living room cheering and screaming! She says "Let me see that" and I run across the room and plow over my three year old nephew! (Seriously, I was so excited I knocked the poor kid over.) My sister said, Oh my God, she DID win! That got everyone's attention and my whole family started freaking out. All of a sudden, my sister says "Hey, on the back of the ticket it says 'Redeem at yo Mommas house'". We then notice the Christmas tree in the living room is actually SHAKING because my brother is hiding behind it laughing so hard. He had found FAKE scratch off lottery tickets that looked so real and of course thought I would be the perfect person to give one to! My family got a big laugh that year (and every year since then), but what a letdown after I really thought I had won the money!!! I'll never forget that Christmas!!

Holiday likes this.