Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

That special Christmas Eve Tradition

Discussion in 'Traditions & Memories' started by sammylar1304, Jul 4, 2013.

1. sammylar1304

sammylar1304 Twinkle Light Checker Merry Forums Member

Helloooo everyone :???:

I've been away for a while but I'm now back and in the festive spirit again!!!

I was sat thinking about a Christmas Eve family tradition that happens every year in my life. My family come together at my parents house and we bake, listen to Christmas songs, put on big woolly Christmas jumpers, eat delicious food and then all snuggle up to watch Christmas films together. This happens every single year and I'm sure there are many many different things people do on Christmas eve and i would love to hear what they are. Also how many people still put out snacks for Santa, i know i do :dance:

CGYager, samual332, mkhatter and 16 others like this.
  2. Festive Spirit

Festive Spirit Christmas Royalty MMC Lifer

Hi welcome back!

I can understand you starting to feel festive. It's only a few weeks till september and the shops start putting Christmas things out !

Christmas Eve is my absolute favourite day of the year! It is the climax of the season for me. Your tradition sounds very special, you are truly blessed .

My husband and two young sons age 5 and 1 spend the day to ourselves at home. I begin the day by giving the boys a Christmas eve goody bag in the morning filled with a few little treats and christmassy activities for us to enjoy during the day along with new pajamas for the night.

We watch TV specials and christmas films, bake cookies, listen to music, sometimes take a short walk and just have fun together. By evening we all get into our new pajamas and get cosy with a favourite family movie. Before bed the children put their santa key out and leave some snacks for santa and carrots for the reindeer. We put them to bed and read Twas the Night Before Christmas.

Once the children are asleep my husband and I sneak all the presents under the christmas tree. Then we have a couple of hours just to ourselves with a couple of drinks and watch the movie Love Actually :)

Then it's off to bed.......

samual332, Holiday, Spyells and 8 others like this.
  3. Clark

Clark Twinkle Light Checker Merry Forums Member

Christmas Eve

As a child, Christmases were magical! We didn't have a lot but my parents, especially my mother, created lasting memories. Back then, everyone gathered at our house. As the years went by and the family grew, we began going to my oldest sister's house where the fun expanded as the family did. After I left home it was always "home for Christmas"...even after the loss of my parents, my sister kept the traditions alive. She's been gone now for 2 years and I haven't found a way of replacing all that was. Now I rely mostly on memories and those things I can recreate on my own. It's still "the most wonderful time of the year!"
    :tree:

4. Art

Art Reindeer Pooper Scooper Merry Forums Member

Good morning from Connecticut, USA

Being of Italian heritage, we celebrate on Christmas Eve with many traditions. Festivities begin as early in the day as possible with much eating and drinking of special foods. Preparation for a special 8-course Christmas Eve traditional (meatless) dinner begins days before, and finishing touches are made for the big meal. We play cards and board games, everyone shares special Christmas Eve memories, and at 9pm we all gather around the television to watch the classic movie "Christmas In Connecticut". At 11pm we all go a special Cloistered Abbey in nearby Bethlehem, Connecticut to attend Vespers and midnite mass in a converted stable. It is so beautiful. When we return home after mass, we open our gifts and empty the shoes and stockings of all the special treasures "Papa Natale" has left for us. We talk until the wee hours of Christmas morning, and then begin festivities all over again for the big day!

9 people like this.
  5. ballcoach

ballcoach Guest

That morning is always breakfast at my mom's house. My brother typically is there, so we always hang out. We mess around until noonish and then it's home to shower up and get ready for the evening festivities. It's either supper at Mom's or Mom in Laws. Either way, good time. After that, Wifey and I come and watch Polar Express, I drink coffee, and we give the dogs their Christmas presents. Good time for all.

8 people like this.
  6. ballcoach

ballcoach Guest

I can't wait to see how much it changes with a little one.....

9 people like this.
  7. BoxerMom

BoxerMom Twinkle Light Checker Merry Forums Member

Our Christmas Eve is a quiet day with my hubby and 2 kids. My girls and I bake cookies for Santa. We go to church at 4:00 then we come home and have our traditional Chinese food dinner. Hubby and I usually enjoy a glass of wine and relax. My mom passed away last May so we now include my Dad in on our dinner.

We then watch Christmas movies/shows. My FIL calls periodically throughout the day and evening letting my girls know where Santa is since he always tracks him.

Overall, just a relaxing day! I just love the feeling of it.

7 people like this.
  8. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Kringle Radio DJ Louann Jeffries Award Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Crew Santa's Elf

I always enjoy reading the Christmas Eve tradition threads!

It's just Mr. and me, and we're film collectors. So we spend our Christmas Eve evening in our little projection area in the basement. We usually watch several Christmas shorts (mostly Castle Films), "Winter Serenade," and a 1949 kinescope of an Earl Wrightson musical program. Our feature film is usually "We're No Angels" (in gorgeous Technicolor!). We round out the evening with "Star in the Night," one of my all-time favorite Christmas films (an Oscar-winning short subject). It's very much the same every year, but I always look forward to it---it's my favorite night of the year.

8 people like this.
  9. Yuletide Junkie

Yuletide Junkie Christmasologist MMC Lifer MMC Donor MMC Premiere Member Christmas Card Exchanger

Any Centaur Films in the mix?

4 people like this.
  10. Yuletide Junkie

Yuletide Junkie Christmasologist MMC Lifer MMC Donor MMC Premiere Member Christmas Card Exchanger

Our Christmas Eve used to be late afternoon church, an annual family dinner at our local steakhouse, & driving around looking at lit up houses. Mrs. J headed back to church to sing at two more services, while the rest of the family went home to watch Christmas movies.

We can't afford the big dinner any more, plus the children are far away, or have other families to visit. The remaining traditions are still celebrated & greatly anticipated every year.

6 people like this.
  11. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Kringle Radio DJ Louann Jeffries Award Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Crew Santa's Elf

Not sure what you mean ... Castle Films was a company that produced one-reel (10-minute) films for people who had a home-movie projector; another was Official Films.

3 people like this.
  12. DoubleA

DoubleA Next in line to Mr. Claus MMC Lifer Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum

Christmas Eve has changed recently. I used to spend it at my folks house, we would have a nice dinner, open one present each, call our family in NY who opens presents on Christmas eve, then watch a Christmas movie, usually Christmas Vacation.

Now we spend Christmas with them and Christmas Eve with my inlaws. We have a semi formal meal, head off to church then sit by the fire and watch a Christmas movie. Then we head home and watch another Christmas tale.

6 people like this.
  13. Woody67

Woody67 Christmas Fan Merry Forums Member

The past few years, I've driven my parents to my brother's home on Christmas Eve morning. It's about a four-hour trip which gives us plenty of time to listen to Christmas Carols on the way. We always leave early, between 6 and 7 am to beat some of the traffic.

My brother closes his dental office at noon and we meet at a favorite Mexican joint for lunch. After lunch, we deliver pound cakes my mother bakes to about a half dozen family friends. The visits are short but meaningful.

After a rest, we head to church service at 6 p.m. And the back to my brother's for soup and sandwiches.

My sister-in- law fore all out in decorating her home. It's fun for me to see where she places her figurines and different decorations each year. She and my brother are 11 years older than me, and each year since 1977 when I was in the third grade I've given her a different decoration. She uses many of them to this day.

Sometimes my niece will play a few Christmas Carols on the piano, which is fun before we settle in to watch a movie of some sort. Egg nog, hot chocolate and popcorn is always on hand.

We all generally doze off during the movie. Before bed, I usually a chapter or two from Jeff Guinn's book "The Autobiography of Santa Claus." It's an excellent book that intertwines the history of Christmas with many of the legends involving Santa Claus. The book has 25 chapters, so I try to read a chapter a day in December. I usually fall behind at some point in the month, but it's easy to catch up.

It's really a good family day that I cherish more each year.

8 people like this.
  14. whitney37354

whitney37354 Rudolph's Groomer MMC Lifer

I start early on Christmas Eve morning cleaning house for Santa's arrival. All day I'm watching Christmassy things on tv, doing my best to watch the Little House on the Prairie episode, "The Christmas They Never Forgot" at some point during the day.

FIL does his Christmas shopping on Christmas Eve, so some years we go with him just to people watch. Other years we stay at home & FIL & MIL come by our house for a few minutes before heading home with the gifts.

Late afternoon we go to our favorite restaurant in town for dinner. The restaurant is closed on Monday's, so those years, I make chili. There have been a few years when we've gone to the mall to people watch & had food court meals.

After our early dinner, we go to DH's best friend's house, where we exchange gifts. Then it's back home to make sweets for Santa & watch It's a Wonderful Life, before throwing out reindeer food in the front yard. After DD is asleep, I help Santa deliver the gifts, then go to bed at midnight. That's two hours later than usual for me. I really need to get to bed early so I'm not so tired on Christmas night, but I'm as excited as a little kid on Christmas Eve!

Each year is a little different, but the basics are still there!

Christmas Eve has always been my favorite day of the year. Every year growing up was the same: dinner and gift exchange at my maternal grandparent's house at 5 p.m., gift exchange at my paternal grandparent's house after that. When we got home, it was time for bed. Even after I "knew about Santa", in third grade, I was still excited for Christmas morning. The rest of Christmas day was depressing for me, even as a child.

I'm glad that now my little family has Christmas Eve to do as we please, & then we spend Christmas morning with DH's family & Christmas evening with my family. It makes the magic last longer!

7 people like this.
  15. HomemakinGirl

HomemakinGirl North Pole Domestic Goddess MMC Lifer

Christmas Eve is always spent with my husbands side of the family, and the day is spent with mine. We have done it this way ever since I have been married, over twenty years ago. I'm thankful that it works out, we are able to see both sides and everyone is happy!

8 people like this.
  16. Yuletide Junkie

Centaur Films produced "Suzy Snowflake" & "Hard Rock, Coco, & Joe". These are Christmas music stop action films that came out long before any one dreamed of MTV. Last I checked You Tube had copies of them that kind souls have uploaded.

6 people like this.
  17. MerryCarey

Aha! Castle Films also released those titles. They're still shown on a local TV station in Chicago---they're an annual tradition there. The Castle Films releases have passed into public domain in the U.S., so they're fair game for YouTube.

I did a podcast segment about Castle Films, and there's a brief clip of "Hardrock, Coco, and Joe" in it. IIRC, there was a third film by the same producer of "Frosty the Snowman."

6 people like this.
  18. XmasDreams

XmasDreams North Pole Network Help MMC Lifer MMC Donor ATC Alum Christmas Crew

Also a forgotten 4th that is another holiday but gets forgotten all the same. Peter Cottontail was the other one and if you buy the complete set from Chicago it comes in a nice box art set.

http://www.amazon.com/Hardrock-Snowflake-Frosty-Snowman-Cottontail/dp/B00AEYAQ1K

5 people like this.
  19. MerryCarey

I didn't know about that---totally cool!
    I got a big laugh out of the line under the title: "Coco, Joe Hardrock (Actor)." Yeah, who wouldn't miss a movie starring Coco and Joe Hardrock? cheesy

5 people like this.
  20. HollyJolly

HollyJolly Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant MMC Lifer MMC Donor Christmas Card Exchanger

Are these commercially available?

SORRY...wrote this before I read the rest of the thread.

4 people like this.