Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

The Truth About Snow

Discussion in 'Christmas Controversy & Opinion' started by noodlenoggin, Feb 16, 2015.

1. noodlenoggin

noodlenoggin Snowman Engineer Merry Forums Member

I didn't know where else to post this thread so I guess the Opinions forum is good enough.

Can somebody give me the straight and honest truth about living in areas where it snows? :dance:

From east coast cities to mountain regions, any insight would be appreciated. The reason I ask is because I've lived in Southern California my whole life, but as someone who is very passionate about Christmas and the holiday season, I want to relocate somewhere that is more fitting to a wintery type of environment. I know I'm supposed to appreciate all the sunshine and whatnot, but I seriously can't remember the last Christmas I didn't look outside my house and just shake my head. I mean there's some days in the middle of December that you couldn't differentiate from being the middle of summer. I'm at an age now where thoughts of starting my own family have entered my head, but because the holidays is such a big part of who I am I can't help but think that I wouldn't be very happy staying in California my whole life. I would rather experience more of a change in seasons than what I have, a real Autumn, and particularly snow and wintery type weather during the holiday months. I've been in snow in Washington DC and on a few snowboard trips, but nothing that has allowed me to experience it for any prolonged amount of time. Which I have read that often people think they want to live where it snows, enjoy it at first, but after some time it begins to wear on them and they move back where they were from originally. I think there's even a famous quote or phrase about that. Has anybody experienced or known somebody to experience this? Another thing that is impossible to ignore is the absolutely extreme weather the eastern half of this country is experiencing right now and has been for some time. The last few years has seen a steady increase in this, with this year being the most extreme thus far. So I wonder if people living there now are looking at west coast climates and might plan to make a move that way. I personally have seen the population around here swell exponentially over the last few years and I wonder if there is a correlation. Can anybody confirm or deny my suspicions about this?

I don't mind working. I know living in snow requires a lot of work. I love the outdoors and can see myself living in a small mountain town somewhere. I've learned about the use of generators, stocking up on food and supplies, and generally being self sufficient in times when it is required. And I know there would be a learning curve and adaptation period. Career wise I'm pretty adaptable and can see myself doing a wide range of things for the long haul. But again, I can understand how growing up in snowy areas provides an individual with an innate quality where it makes sense to do certain things and live a certain way, whereas somebody who didn't grow up in it might find the adjustment difficult over time. During some upcoming travels I will certainly be investigating some areas of interest for myself. But I just want to get the opinion from fellow Christmas fanatics who have a good idea of exactly where these questions are coming from and if they are a valid enough reason for wanting such a change in my adult life.

Has anybody personally moved to an area that snows after living somewhere it doesn't? What has your experience been like? Has anybody lived their whole life in snow, can't stand it anymore, and wants to move to California? Or has anybody known somebody else to have done any of this?

Anyways, I'm just thinking out loud. I'm a new member to the site and figure I might as well just discuss what's on my mind. Thanks for any responses.

Holiday, MsRose, xmastidings and 5 others like this.
  2. HollyJolly

HollyJolly Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant MMC Lifer MMC Donor Christmas Card Exchanger

I think it all comes down to outlook. I have lived in snowless and snow heavy areas. I am a certified snow junkie. It doesn't mean it comes without challenges. Again...outlook. Anything can be the focus of misery. If you are the type that decides winter/snow makes you miserable...you will be. I look at winter as an opportunity to do different things. I am not really good in oppressive heat/humidity. I do like the change of seasons. I have seen people from Hawaii pine for living under different climate. Everyone's paradise is different. We just got 8 inches of snow yesterday. I would like to live somewhere that might make that regularly. If you go, you'll need to develop some new life skills. Driving in the snow is one. You should not leave the house without preparing for being stranded. It isn't because it is the norm. It is like first aid equipment. You buy it because you hope you'll never use it. But if the need arises...things go far more smoothly. You also need to realize a 4WD can help you go more quickly in snow and ice...but it doesn't help you STOP more quickly. It is surprising how many people don't get that. Anyway...outlook and developing new skills. Healthy outlook...healthy life.

3. Storeytime

Storeytime Santa's Sleigh Designer MMC Lifer Christmas Crew Santa's Elf

I'm with you Noodle. I live in Texas and I love everything about it except the weather. The very rare times we get snow, I'm like a kid.

I'm the only one that I know that looks forward to trees without leaves, gray skies, and cold temperatures. One reason is because it is relief from the long summer weather we have from about June till September, sometimes longer.

I long to go somewhere else when I retire that has all four seasons. Some possibilities, at least for me - Appalachian Mountain areas of Tennessee or North Carolina, Idaho, Montana, etc. I have lived for a short time in Boston, but it was in the middle of winter. I loved it.

4. noodlenoggin

Thanks for the replies.

So now begins the longing period for the next holiday season. Right now in particular I keep thinking about Sep/Oct for some reason. One thought I've recently had, in a way, I do kind of appreciate the year round steady climate in Southern California, because I can easily imagine it to be the months I want to be in. Since the weather isn't any different from what it is during Sep-Jan, its easy to maintain that longing for those months all year round, which could be a reason I am so passionate about it. As opposed to different weather year round, making it impossible when it is one time of year to be in any type of mood for another time of year. Or maybe I'm giving this too much thought. I don't know. I'm going to be in the military and traveling a lot for the next phase of my life, and during that time I'm going to check out a lot of different areas, especially during holiday time, to see for myself where I eventually want to settle down.

5. Jeff Westover

Jeff Westover Chief Santa Tracker MMC Founder Kringle Radio DJ Christmas Card Exchanger Santa's Elf

We lived in So-Cal for about two years. But we lived in the one place that is about as un-Southern California-like of any there -- Lake Arrowhead.

We had two magical Christmases there. It snowed both times. It was California snow (Sierra Cement, they call it) for sure, but it was white.

Over the years I've continued to travel back to California for my job and to be honest, I hate LA. I cannot stand the month of December in particular if only because there is a kind of hollow feel to the holidays there. Plastic.

We live in Utah now. Almost every Christmas is white. We enjoy the distinct seasons that we get. I just wish sometimes it would come in order. This year we went from summer to fall to spring to winter to fall to winter to spring to fall to spring again and again. Usually it isn't that way.

As we get older the snow becomes inconvenient at times. But I would tell you that spring floods and summer heat are worse and last way too much longer.

A lot of people my age (50s) living here say they plan to head south in the next decade.

Not me. I plan to move up the mountain side. Give me the snow. Give me the seasons.

6. HollyJolly

HollyJolly Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant MMC Lifer MMC Donor Christmas Card Exchanger

noodlenogin - in the military you will have ample opportunity to move to several places around the world which will give you the ability to experience a variety of settings/climates. Use the moves to your advantage. GREAT experience!

noodlenoggin and snowflake22 like this.
  7. noodlenoggin

I will. This time next week I'll be at Fort Benning, Georgia. So that's a start. And by the end of it all hopefully I will have found the right place for me to settle down.

irishsnow and snowflake22 like this.
  8. joyful

joyful MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

I've lived with four seasons all my life. As a child I loved it. As a young adult I enjoyed watching my children love it. Now, I hate snow and the cold. It gets to be more of a hardship as we age. I like spring and l love summer. I don't like to see fall come because I know what follows Many long months of winter and after Dec. the months drag by. Our lifestyle changes, we are stuck indoors and we love to be outside on our deck. It's hard to go shopping because you have to be concern about road conditions. I live where there can be total "white outs" which has cause many accidents and quite scary to drive through.

I have experienced the magical snowfall on Christmas Eve which really stirs up childhood memories but as an adult I worry about people traveling to get home for Christmas including my own children. Do I want to live in California? NO! I live in the Northeast now but would love to move a little further south, not too far. But that's not an option now, my children and grandchildren live here and this is my home.

If you move east be sure and stay far away from the Great Lakes, for they are big generators of snow, example last year lake snow event that hit Hamburg, N.Y. Sometimes we get lake affect snow in April and May and I'm a state away from N.Y.

snowflake22 likes this.
  9. Winter_Worlock

Winter_Worlock Cryo-Sorcerer MMC Premiere Member

It probably wouldn't have bothered me if I spent my whole life in a "season-less" climate, but growing up in a temperate area that sees a little bit of everything, I would go CRAZY living in a place that never got snow. Are there even enough deciduous trees in places like California to experience a color change in autumn? I need the diversity of the seasons. And I hear in California sometimes you will get months of sunny days with no rain. That would drive me even crazier. Life starts to feel stagnant whenever we get one of those big dominant high pressure systems rolling in that prevent ANY kind of storm system from getting here.

I absolutely love the snow and get it every winter, but every-time I hear about global warming, I wonder if one of these decades I'll have to move into northern Canada to have a chance at seeing it anymore.

Interesting thing about being sick of it that I've never understood though. I've traveled to some very cold places, but somehow find that even there, I'm dressing less warmly than the locals. It'll be 50 degrees, I'll be in shorts and a T-shirt, and they'll be in heavy winter jackets, looking at me like I have two heads. Why does it seem like people who actually live in these places aren't even accustomed to the cold? You'd think it wouldn't be anything to them.

It also certainly takes a child's mind to enjoy it properly though. An adult will usually look and think "car accidents, shoveling, damp feet, shivering, etc." It's hard to enjoy nature if you're just focusing on its dark side. Some people like seeing tornadoes, in spite of how destructive they are.

10. joyful

joyful MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

Well Winter Worlock, when a person is in their 20's, 30's and even 40's, dealing with winter weather is easy but as we get older it's all different. And it's not looking at the "dark side" as you put it. It's being practical and having concern for others. I never entertain the "dark side", I'm a child of the Light.

11. Yuletide Junkie

Yuletide Junkie Christmasologist MMC Lifer MMC Donor MMC Premiere Member Christmas Card Exchanger

Every day without snow and cold is one day closer to Spring...

12. HollyKing

HollyKing Merry Monarch of Yuletide MMC Premiere Member

Here in the Deep South, we seldom get actual snow... mostly it's a light dusting like somebody came along with a container of baby powder. People absolutely freak out, driving five mph when the only snow is in the median... the rest has turned back to water due to X-many hundred cars going over it and over it and over it....

Last year we got a couple of REAL snows - like 4-6 inches. I just added base layers (what we old fogies used to call long underwear), hiking boots and winter-themed outerwear. I was fine.

13. Jeff Westover

Jeff Westover Chief Santa Tracker MMC Founder Kringle Radio DJ Christmas Card Exchanger Santa's Elf

I was once caught down south when they got "snow". It was less than an inch. They canceled school and every store was out of milk, eggs, bread and water almost instantly.

Here where I live they won't stop the school buses even if there is two feet of snow.

14. e_xander

e_xander Executive Producer, Tracking Santa MMC Lifer Kringle Radio DJ Louann Jeffries Award Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum Santa's Elf

Same here in Wisconsin also!

15. HollyKing

HollyKing Merry Monarch of Yuletide MMC Premiere Member

That's this place exactly!

16. GhostOfChristmasPast

GhostOfChristmasPast Chestnut Roaster Merry Forums Member

it's important to never eat December snow. I always wait 'til January, when it's properly ripe