MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Apr 15, 2009
Greenfield, Indiana
We always bake one and then depending on the weather I will fry one also.

Smiley21

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Apr 29, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Seeing how I live in Georgia...the weather's always good for frying a turkey...the only hassel about it is having to go check on it over & over outside.

Reactions: 1 person

Courtney

Makin' A Comeback!
MMC Lifer
Jul 21, 2008
Home
Baked... Only because I have yet to try fried turkey. It sounds delicious though.
:carve:

TamaraQT

Sugar Cookie Tester
MMC Lifer
Oct 11, 2009
New Jersey
I haven't had a fried turkey yet, but I hear it is delicious. They say once you fry it, you wont want it any other way. But for me I have to bake it since I don't have a way to fry one.

gabulldawg

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 29, 2010
Hill AFB,Ogden Utah
I love fried turkey. I have not actually fried one myself because I admit im nervous about it. That insurance commercial where the guy says 4 ppl burn thier house down trying to fry a turkey every thanksgiving. With my luck I would totally be one of the four. but yes I prefer the taste of fried turkey...but I love it both ways.

snowytree

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 16, 2008
GA
After all the years of cooking turkey in the oven, I broke down and bought an electric roaster! I'm anxious to use it!

Smiley21

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Apr 29, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I love fried turkey. I have not actually fried one myself because I admit im nervous about it. That insurance commercial where the guy says 4 ppl burn thier house down trying to fry a turkey every thanksgiving. With my luck I would totally be one of the four. but yes I prefer the taste of fried turkey...but I love it both ways.

My dad just retired as a firefighter, he hated this time of year because people would do all kinds of crazy things when it was time to fry their turkeys. You can't fry them frozen (but they did it). You're not supposed to fry it close to anything or in a garage (they STILL did it). A lot of it is just common sense.

snowytree

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 16, 2008
GA
I know people that have pulled it off successfully. I just don't know if I would try it myself. My SIL wants to try one, one year.

snowytree

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 16, 2008
GA
My dad just retired as a firefighter, he hated this time of year because people would do all kinds of crazy things when it was time to fry their turkeys. You can't fry them frozen (but they did it). You're not supposed to fry it close to anything or in a garage (they STILL did it). A lot of it is just common sense.

Yes, if you don't have the common sense or just the ability to follow instructions;then you shouldn't be taking your chances on sticking a huge turkey inside a pot of boiling oil!!!

Smiley21

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Apr 29, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Yes, if you don't have the common sense or just the ability to follow instructions;then you shouldn't be taking your chances on sticking a huge turkey inside a pot of boiling oil!!!

The key is peanut oil. You can't use canola or vegetable oil.

whitney37354

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
Jan 16, 2009
Tennessee

My cooking specialty is chili & grilled cheese sandwiches, but even I know not to stick a frozen turkey in hot oil! :-?

frostyman

Ornament Craftsman
MMC Lifer
Oct 22, 2009
KY
We have always baked the turkey but I would be willing to try it fried. I'm curious because I have heard people say that it is really good.

GingerMel

Ornament Craftsman
MMC Lifer
Nov 1, 2006
Clinton, CT
I always bake the turkey (after brining and always according to Alton Brown's recipe) but I would definitely consider frying one. The one time I have ever had fried turkey was leftovers that I friend let me taste. It was cold and a day old but it still tasted amazing!

Santa's Helper

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 14, 2007
Out there
I've tried fried Turkey before and it was ok but I always bake mine. I'll never fry it. I'm not going to get a fryer and it's too much hassel dealing with it. Someone around here actually burned down their entire house frying a turkey. They had it on their patio and the grease splashed and caught on fire and the guy grabbed a garden hose to put it out. Well, you know water on a grease fire....poof, the whole house was lit up. So, I'll just stick to baking mine! haha!!!

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image