Uh Oh...

Snowfall

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 29, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
I'm getting married in a month and have my first house with my future DH, so my mom said we need to do a holiday. Right now, she does Christmas eve, Thanksgiving, and Easter. She decided I'll take Thanksgiving next year (2010). :eek:

It's over a year away and I'm already nervous about it! I can hardly cook a decent meal for myself and now I'm going to have my family and the in-laws over for what most see as the most delicious meal of the year.

I'll be on this part of the forum for the next year trying to pick up tips and ideas. Any words of wisdom from other Thanksgiving hosts? A list of dos and don'ts would be great. I have no idea what I'm getting myself into here.

kelly ann

Christmasologist
MMC Member
Oct 15, 2007
swansea. uk
Oh, you'll be fine...just buy plenty of cookbooks...or better still enroll yourself onto a cookery course?

Christmas-A-Holic

MMC Goodwill Ambassador
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Santa's Elf
Jun 21, 2009
Deep in the Heart of Texas!
Since your mom wants you to take on the big task next year, maybe ask her since it's the first time hosting that she can come over to help you out. If she is unable to, I bet someone in the family will be willing to.

Instead of cooking everything, you could buy some side dishes at a cafeteria or restaurant. We have a cafeteria nearby that has some of the best baked squash and we buy a tray of it to serve on Thanksgiving to go along with our meal. Everyone loves it and it helps cut down on some of the time I spend in the kitchen. My mom and dad always bring a side dish as well so that I am not doing all the cooking.

I always plan out my meal ahead of time by writing down the menu of everything to serve and make a general grocery shopping list weeks ahead of time so I don't forget anything. Not fun to be cooking on Thanksgiving day and be short of any ingredients.

Throughout the year try cooking different things and take note of what taste good and make note of it to serve on Thanksgiving.

I always enjoyed hosting and actually started hosting Thanksgiving and Christmas when I was 15 years old while living at home with my parents. It always stressed my mom out to do that stuff, I love it!

Good luck!

Silverbells

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 28, 2008
Philadelphia Pa. USA
Girl first off just calm down take a deep breath. Its over a year away u got plenty of time to brush up on ur skills, alot can happen between now and then. This year where ever u guys go for Thanksgiving and Christmas just take a more active roll in preparing the food. And give urself a break cooking is nothing but trial and error. Don't overwhelm urself if u can't do it or need help say so. Even some of the greatest cooks still mess up from time to time. Practice Practice Practice. Once again
DO NOT BE AFRAID TO ASK FOR HELP! :hello:

made582

MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Apr 15, 2009
Greenfield, Indiana
Start watching the cooking shows this year and get there tips for the holidays and then you can practice dishes next spring and summer so you will ready in time for next thanksgiving. I am sure that you will do great!!!!

joyful

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 25, 2006
northeast USA
A lot of great tips have been posted.

Don't fret about it. You have a whole year to practice. And if you don't want to to a whole turkey, just get a nice size breast, throw it in a cooking bag, stick it in the oven and set the timer. Sometimes making gravy is the most difficult dish to prepare if you've never done it and all it takes to make good gravy is practice.

It will be an adventure and remember everyone has their first time in doing things and it's very rare to have it turn out perfect the first time.

Do what you can early so it won't be stressful. I have set up my table the night before so I wouldn't have to do it that day. I will make my mashed potatoes early and put them in the crock pot to keep them warm so I don't have to do everything at once.

You will do just fine.

Emmy Piper

Reindeer Pooper Scooper
MMC Member
Sep 29, 2009
I agree with joyful! You can practice!
My son's birthday is always around Thanksgiving so I end up making a full meal twice (he prefers turkey and all of the trimmings for his birthday which is 11/24). If you experiment with a few different things (like homemade stuffing instead of stove top) you can figure out what you like. Some people prefer sweet potatoes to regular mashed. And since you're newly married your new hubby will be the grateful taste tester LOL!! Have fun trying new recipes (and maybe solicit family members for some of their faves too!!)

Holiday

MMC Christmas Angel 1971-2020
Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
I'm getting married in a month and have my first house with my future DH, so my mom said we need to do a holiday. Right now, she does Christmas eve, Thanksgiving, and Easter. She decided I'll take Thanksgiving next year (2010). :eek:

It's over a year away and I'm already nervous about it! I can hardly cook a decent meal for myself and now I'm going to have my family and the in-laws over for what most see as the most delicious meal of the year.

I'll be on this part of the forum for the next year trying to pick up tips and ideas. Any words of wisdom from other Thanksgiving hosts? A list of dos and don'ts would be great. I have no idea what I'm getting myself into here.

Sounds SO exciting to me!!! :) You have a year + to get ready! :smile: Do you have a standard Thanksgiving meal every year, like turkey?? If so - that is easy to do! And if your Mom or Dad normally carves the turkey, maybe they would still do that for you? That's what I do when I make a turkey - I make it & my Dad carves it! You can experiment all year long with side dishes, or ask everyone to bring a side. I'm sure it will all work out & it will be great!! Just holler if you want/need any recipes! There are lots of great cooks here!

Snowfall

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 29, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Thanks for all the info everyone! I might ask my gram to make the stuffing. Or I'll have her help me with it. She makes the BEST stuffing! And maybe I'll have my mom make greenbean casserole. Yum.

As for the rest of the sides, nothing else is really a tradition. And I now look forward to experimenting with new foods. I'll have to make a few "practice" turkeys over the next several months. I'll be sure to look on this thread for good ideas and recipes.

I'm so excited now!!!

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image