Very Special Thanksgiving stories

joyful

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 25, 2006
northeast USA
Thanksgiving is the time for family and it's the start of the Holiday Season ushering in the special Christmas season. Is there one Thanksgiving that really stands out and makes you so glad you experienced it?

We had a Thanksgiving where my parents were here (as usual) and my niece came with her mother from another state (she is my brother's only child and her mother is my brother's ex-wife). My children were here with their families. My brother also came (he and his ex get along ok). My neice rarely gets to spend Christmas with us so I planned a very special Thanksgiving for her. She always would mail gifts to my parents, my husband, me and our grandchildren.

I had a Christmas tree set up in the basement with lights all around the basement and other decorations. After we had our Thanksgiving dinner some of us went downstairs and then my neice was called to go down. She came down the steps and we all said "Merry Christmas". So we had a Thanksgiving Christmas, we exchange our gifts with her and it was very nice. It was my Mother's last Thanksgiving and Christmas which we didn't know at the time. So this was a very special Thanksgiving for our family.

Minta

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Oct 10, 2004
South NJ
That's a very sweet story and a Thanksgiving that will be remembered for a long time. Glad it turned out so wonderful for you and your family.

trackrebel

candy cane hustla
MMC Lifer
Aug 23, 2008
Germany
sports.groups.yahoo.com
must have been wonderfull and heartwarming...and so special

MsChristmas

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 8, 2008
Maryland, USA
:happy:Wow that is an awesome and very touching story!

Sounds like it will be hard for you to beat that one!

deffenm

Tinsel Straightener
MMC Member
Sep 2, 2008
Ohio
Two years ago my husband and I were in the process of adopting our final two children (DS & DD). We have another DS that we adopted 5 years ago. These children had never really experienced any holiday's. Well they got to spend Thanksgiving with us (during the transition period from the foster home to ours) and my father in law as hosting it. Now my father in law has 11 brothers & sisters and they are all married and have kids so our "family gatherings" are huge. When we showed up at my in laws for Thanksgiving the kids had only met my in laws and no one else and the kids did not know what to think. They were very shy and kept hiding behind my husband and myself. It was time to eat and we sat the kids down at "their" table to eat. Well our 2 new children did not know what to do because they had never had turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, or the famous corn pudding. They were almost in tears. We sat down with them and told them to try a little bit of everything and if they didn't like it they would not have to eat it and we would make them a PBJ sandwhich.

They did try everything but I wasn't sure how they liked it. Fast forward to this year. A few weeks ago my DS asked when Thanksgiving was and I told him and he said, " Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday because I got my new family then and I got to eat Corn Pudding." It was a very teary moment for me.

I may not have gotten to see my children's first step, or hear their first words, or take them to get their first hair cuts but I have some any other firsts that some parents never really think about as firsts.

My other DS had never been to a resteraunt. His face was priceless the first time we took him out. He wouldn't eat he was just in awe of the whole process.

DD just learned to tie her shoes yesterday and did it all by herself this morining. She is 4.

Sorry to get off topic. So that is my favorite thanksgiving memory.

joyful

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 25, 2006
northeast USA
God Bless you.

What a wonderful story and what a blessing you and your husband are to those dear children and what a blessing they are to you.

Thanks for sharing.

Faith4always

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 17, 2008
Lafayette, LA USA
Thanksgiving

Well, almost 17 years ago on November 21st, I had the most precious little baby girl in the world!!
Exactly one week after she was born, was Thanksgiving Day.
We had a one week old newborn on Thanksgiving that year and my whole family plus in-laws who had to drive several hours to get there - they were all there. Then, after our big meal and before everyone left, we put up our Christmas tree and my neices and nephews helped. They were like 6&7 at the time!
It was just a special day!

joyful

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 25, 2006
northeast USA
Faithmom, what a special Thanksgiving.

I feel there should be more focus on Thanksgiving on both parts of it, the Thanks and
the Giving. What a wonderful holiday that has been set aside for us to reflect and give thanks.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image