Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Vintage Film

Discussion in 'Christmas Together' started by Ryan, Feb 26, 2013.

1. dvdelf

dvdelf MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

If anyone is interested, TCM has a 4 disc set of Mickey Rooney & Judy Garland films.
    I thought it would be appropriate after his passing to watch some of his films.

snowflake22, Yuletide Junkie and Ryan like this.
  2. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award Kringle Radio DJ

Thank you, that's a good idea.
    I'm sure TCM will be running his films, too. They're sure to arrange a day dedicated to him.
    Most everyone remembers Mickey Rooney for his M-G-M dramas and musicals. But he also gave a gut-punch performance in a live TV drama in 1957, "The Comedian," playing a hard-nosed TV comedian who destroyed co-workers and family members to get to the top and keep his popularity. (The live performance was recorded via kinescope, and a video was available back in VHS days.) And he gave a very funny, warm, and touching performance in "It Came Upon the Midnight Clear" (1984). Mr. saw him live on stage in "Sugar Babies" with Ann Miller, and still has great memories of that. An amazing career that stretched from vaudeville to silent films to sound films and musicals to TV and Broadway.

snowflake22, Yuletide Junkie and Ryan like this.
  3. Ryan

Ryan Christmas Podmaster MMC Lifer MMC Donor Christmas Crew

Thanks for the tip!

snowflake22 likes this.
  4. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award Kringle Radio DJ

Waking up this thread, because I've been seeing some good vintage films lately!

Pre-Code (1933) with Barbara Stanwyck: Baby Face, about a woman who starts at the bottom of the banking business as a file clerk and sleeps her way to the top. Who will fall first and farthest, she or the bank? Leave it to Stanwyck to be raunchy but classy all at the same time!

Also pre-Code (1933) with James Cagney: Mayor of Hell, about a ward heeler who takes charge of a reform school while simultaneously running his racket back in the city. Some great juvenile performers, including Frankie Darro. It's a precursor to the Dead End Kids-type of movie, but even more raw.

And we've been watching some Mr. Moto series films starring Peter Lorre, and some pre-war Charlie Chan mysteries. Good stuff! Last night we saw "Dead Men Tell" with Sidney Toler---fantastic direction with big closeups and great lighting. It was a treasure-map tale of murder and betrayal---but the ship never leaves the dock!

To break the somber mood, we also saw a frothy little musical from 1944 called Hot Rhythm, which features Irene Ryan more than 20 years before her role as Granny Clampett. Shenanigans and romance in a recording studio.

3 people like this.
  5. Ryan

Thanks for sharing. I love pre-code stuff!

snowflake22 likes this.
  6. MerryCarey

Happy Easter from Our Gang!
    From the personnel, I would guess this is 1930, give or take a year.

[​IMG]

From let to right:
    Joe Cobb, Harry Spear, Allen "Farina" Hoskins, Jean Darling, Mary Ann Jackson, Bobby "Wheezer" Hutchins

"Down in front":
    Pete the Pup

3 people like this.
  7. Ryan

That's great! Happy Easter and thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 people like this.
  8. MerryCarey

Happy Easter, everyone!

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  9. xmastidings

xmastidings Santa's Mentor MMC Lifer MMC Donor

One of my favorite all-time movies....

3 people like this.
  10. MerryCarey

Channel 20 in D..C. used to show it on Easter. Love it!

2 people like this.
  11. xmastidings

xmastidings Santa's Mentor MMC Lifer MMC Donor

I remember that.....Ahhh yes, what was it, channels 22 and 45 as well? I remember channels 45 (Captain Chesapeake) used to watch it all the time because it had a line-up like this:

Marine Boy
    Johnny Quest
    Speed Racer
    Ultra-man
    Scooby-Doo
    The Jetsons
    The Munsters
    Gilligan's Island
    Get Smart - "Chief, this is Max, I request we use the dome of silence...."!

Ahhhh yes....life was soo much simpler back then~

Besides going to school and having drills like hiding under you desk and lining up in the hallway in case of a Nuclear Attack by the Russians....I think that was like 1968-69ish; I was in first grade...

2 people like this.
  12. MerryCarey

Oh, yes, the UHF channels! WDCA Channel 20 was D.C.---I used to watch the Little Rascals, Blondie and Dagwood movies, Abbott and Costello movies … Channel 45 was Baltimore, and we couldn't tune it in very well, even if we turned the aerial … Channel 5 in D.C. would also run some vintage movies and reruns. Good stuff … In the TV Guide, the D.C. stations were printed black on white, and the Baltimore stations were printed white on black …

Channel 22 was PBS, Maryland Public Television. Back in the '80s I caught some good old movies on there, including "The Golden Age of Comedy," "You Can't Take It With You," and "International House."

3 people like this.
  13. MerryCarey

This is slightly off-topic, but I wanted to share it. There's a 1926 movie house in Frederick, MD, not far from where I grew up. It boasts the only theater organ in Maryland still in its original theater. I saw my first movie there back when it was still the Tivoli, and loved going to silent movies there (with the organ playing) in the 1980s and '90s---in fact, I used to write the press releases for the local paper when a silent film was scheduled.

I just found a YouTube video yesterday of a big renovation project there that was completed in 2012. i always loved the place, but now it's GORGEOUS. I really wish I could back there for a visit and see it for myself.

[youtube_browser]JWF0Y6c_we8[/youtube_browser]

Look at the rest of the videos in the playlist, too---there is one about the theater organ, one about Wurlitzer theater organs in general (featuring the Weinberg Center organ), and one about the history of the theater---including the great story of how a tip on a horse race led to the installation of the theater's air conditioning system in the 1940s!

3 people like this.
  14. snowflake22

snowflake22 *Harlowe's Mom* MMC Lifer Louann Jeffries Award

Wow, Merry! It is beautiful!!
    Hope you can make it back there for a visit [emoji172]

Ryan, xmastidings and MerryCarey like this.
  15. Ryan

I'm late seeing this. Thank you for sharing! Not too many of these grand palaces left, but I sure love them! Hope you make it there soon!

2 people like this.
  16. MerryCarey

3 people like this.
  17. Ryan

3 people like this.
  18. XmasDreams

XmasDreams North Pole Network Help MMC Lifer MMC Donor Christmas Crew ATC Alum

Saw this nice little Sherlock Holmes collection at walmart today. Lots of Classic versions of him and even a disk dedicated to radio versions. Wish i would have brought more money and i would have bought it.

Even more mysterious than the puzzles he solves, Arthur Conan Doyle's legendary detective has fascinated readers, viewers and listeners for more than a century! From his cozy lodgings at 221B Baker Street, Sherlock Holmes sifts through the clues and sets his brilliant traps for criminals scurrying through the fogbound London night. This incredible collection brings together the best in Holmesian entertainment from the page, cinema, radio and TV. This once-in-lifetime package includes the entire 39-episode run of the acclaimed 1954-1955 "Sherlock Holmes" program starring Ronald Howard, 9 full-length mystery films from the Golden Age of Hollywood (starring the likes of Basil Rathbone, Christopher Lee and Arthur Wontner), 20 radio plays featuring the iconic duo of Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, and a lavishly illustrated booklet presenting the full text of one of the sleuth's finest literary adventures, "A Scandal in Bohemia". Does this set belong in your collection? The answer is elementary.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  19. XmasDreams

more info on the dvd set

9 Films: Sherlock Holmes and the Deadly Necklace (1964) Christopher Lee
    Terror by Night (1946) Basil Rathbone
    Dressed to Kill (1946) Basil Rathbone
    The Woman in Green (1945) Basil Rathbone
    Sherlock Holmes & The Secret Weapon (1942) Basil Rathbone
    Murder at the Baskervilles (1937) Arthur Wontner
    The Triumph of Sherlock Holmes (1955) Arthur Wontner
    The Sign of Four (1932) Arthur Wontner
    A Study in Scarlet (1933) Reginald Owen

39 TV Episodes: Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Series (1954-55) Ronald Howard

20 Old-Time Radio Shows

The New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (1944-46) Basil Rathbone
    "
    Special Features

"Sound film interview with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
    Comments by Christopher Lee
    24-page illustrated Book
    A Scandal in Bohemia (1891) – Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s first short story with original illustrations by Sidney Paget & Josef Friedrich
    "

Ryan, Yuletide Junkie and snowflake22 like this.
  20. XmasDreams

uploadfromtaptalk1437142518835.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1437142534130.jpg

Ike's phone