Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Vintage Film

Discussion in 'Christmas Together' started by Ryan, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Ryan

Ryan Christmas Podmaster MMC Lifer MMC Donor Christmas Crew

Thank you for sharing. Wish I was close and could see these!

MerryCarey likes this.
  2. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award Kringle Radio DJ

It would be great if it were followed up with a new Blu-ray and DVD based on the restoration ...

I also forgot to mention that the two-color Technicolor feature "King of Jazz" (1930, featuring Paul Whiteman and including a young Bing Crosby as one of his Rhythm Boys), which has been restored, is being released on video in March. We've been looking forward to that one for years! We've seen a poor-quality, incomplete VHS version of it, but the new video should be complete and much better quality. It's more of a "revue" rather than having a plot. It's also pre-Code, and some of the jokes are awfully racy!

Here's a New York Times article about the film and its restoration.

Ryan likes this.
  3. Ryan

Ryan Christmas Podmaster MMC Lifer MMC Donor Christmas Crew

Thank you! That’s pretty neat.

4. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award Kringle Radio DJ

Today is Buster Keaton's birthday ... and I was behind a (Lincoln) Navigator through most of my commute this morning. I love those little coincidences!

navigator_a.jpg

Ryan likes this.
  5. MerryCarey

In case you haven't heard ... there's a new movie about Laurel & Hardy coming out: "Stan & Ollie." It was made in the U.K., and Sony is trying to get a "wide release" (as opposed to an art-house release) in the U.S. before the end of the year, so it can be considered for the Oscars. We've seen the trailers, and the movie looks really good. Mr. is going to an advance press screening today as the guest of a journalist he knows. (Yes, I'm a bit jealous, but he promises he won't spoil it for me!)

Here's the film's website, with trailers and other info:
    https://www.stanandollie.co.uk/

(The British trailer is much darker and more confrontational than the U.S. trailer and the "official trailer.")

A friend of ours who saw it says by the end of the movie, he was almost convinced he was watching Oliver Hardy instead of an actor portraying him. I'm really eager to see this film!

6. MerryCarey

TCM is sponsoring showings of "White Christmas" in movie theaters across the country on Dec. 9 and Dec. 12. Here's a link where you can see if it's in your neighborhood:

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/tcm2018-white-christmas

Plug in your city or zip code, and it'll tell you where the movie's playing. I got tickets yesterday and am eager to see it on a big screen! (After all, it was the first film released in VistaVision!)

Edited to add: We enjoyed the movie (who wouldn't?), but technically it was a poor presentation. It looked like they had hooked up to someone's laptop and were streaming it on the movie screen. The image wasn't very bright or sharp, the colors (considering the original was Technicolor) were a bit off, and there were little jerks in the action, which spoiled some of the dancing. Just relating this because, if you decide to attend a TCM big-screen offering, be aware that you won't be getting a top-notch movie-theater experience!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  7. MerryCarey

A new restoration of It's a Wonderful Life will be released to 4K on October 29, with a 2-disc Blu-ray release to follow. My mouth is watering ... here's the information from Paramount Home Media Distribution:

Paramount Home Media Distribution has officially announced that it will release on 4K Blu-ray Frank Capra's classic film It's a Wonderful Life (1946), starring James Stewart, Donna Reed, Lionel Barrymore, Thomas Mitchell, and Henry Travers. The release will be available for purchase on October 29.

Paramount spent over a year painstakingly restoring this treasured film, using the original nitrate negative along with two fine grain masters made in the 1940s. Each element was carefully scanned using the very latest technology to both preserve the delicate negative and create the best possible digital image. Fortunately, 13 of the 14 reels of the original negative survived, but portions had begun to deteriorate so the best image was selected from one of the three original sources on a shot-by-shot basis. The result is a more vibrant and detail-rich picture that brings this classic to life like never before.

The 4K Ultra HD Combo Pack includes the black-and-white film in 4K high definition, as well as a colorized version on Blu-ray, along with three special features new to 4K Blu-ray disc: "Restoring a Beloved Classic," "Secrets from the Vault," and "It's A Wonderful Wrap Party." A 2-Disc Blu-ray set will also be available that includes the newly remastered film in black-and-white, along with a colorized version and the three special features listed above.​

RadioJonD and Dudley like this.
  8. Dudley

Dudley Santa Clausologist Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

Wonder if Target will have it?

9. MerryCarey

10. Dudley

Excellent. This will be great to see as we have a 4K UHD HDR TV!

11. MerryCarey

Wow, you’ll get the full experience! The best we can do is Blu-ray.

I’m excited because the source material is original reels of camera negative (that is, the film that actually passed through the camera during shooting) supplemented by fine-grain positives. That’s as good as you can get if the nitrate elements are still in good shape.

Dudley and RadioJonD like this.
  12. Dudley

For those interested, and it's on the link but I missed it, it's only available at Target purchasing it online. However, Best Buy does have it and we did pick it up.

13. MerryCarey

Let us know what you think!
    I’m waiting to find out when the Blu-ray version will be released.

14. Dudley

Target had the Blu-Ray edition.

15. MerryCarey

Thanks for that info!
    The website lies, ‘cause it says “This item isn’t sold in stores.”