Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

What are your favorite ornaments?

Discussion in 'Traditions & Memories' started by Kimothy, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Kimothy

Kimothy MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

I'm just wondering what are the ornaments that you look forward to decorating on your tree.

I LOVE my "Santas From Around the World" ornaments. There are six in the set and I enjoy trying to find more "around the world"-type Santa ornaments/decorations. :cool:

2. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Kringle Radio DJ Louann Jeffries Award Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Crew Santa's Elf

We have a small tree, so nearly every ornament has a special meaning. My favorites include:

Thread-crochet snowflakes and angel made by my grandmother
    Various ornaments that my mother made
    Reproductions of the Shiny Brite ornaments that we had on our tree when I was little
    A little sled that says "Rosebud" (you classic-film buffs will get it)
    A tiny mouse asleep in a walnut shell
    Miniature picture frames, framing covers of books my husband wrote
    Many ornaments from friends and family throughout the years

It's hard for me to decorate and un-decorate without getting a lump in my throat ... and I know I'm forgetting some! It's a real joy to open the box of ornaments every year and seeing my old favorites and some that I'd forgotten.

3. ChristmasHeart

ChristmasHeart MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

I have so many ornaments that its difficult to say which one I love the most! One that is very special to me was made for me by my eldest son. It has a special place on the Christmas Tree every year!

4. caninemom3

caninemom3 MMC Christmas Angel (1954 - 2013) MMC Lifer MMC Emeritus Member

I have a very special ornament given to me by dear mom quite a few years before she passed. It is wine colored, and it is made of plastic !! It was made during the 1940s when the USA was in WWII. The glass at that time was being used for the war effort so the ornaments to a great deal apparently were made from plastic. It has a design of Candles on one side and on the other it says
    Merry X-Mas (Probaby because they could not fit the entire word Christmas). It is still in wonderful shape and is over 60 years old, plus it was given to me by my mom.

:tree:

5. ballcoach

ballcoach Guest

Department 56 started putting out the North Pole Collection about 20 or so years ago. They have some ornaments that are miniature versions of those houses and I have one. It is the one that I can't wait to see every single year!

6. DoubleA

DoubleA Next in line to Mr. Claus MMC Lifer Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum

I love the keepsake ornies that play music, but every year my family buys a silver bell, so we shine them up each year and hang them on the tree together!

7. One Spoiled Brat

One Spoiled Brat MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

Blown glass ornaments from my Mama's childhood, and tons of Snowmen...:hello:

8. xmas365

xmas365 Cotton Headed Ninny Muggins MMC Lifer

Our Hallmark ornaments, we have about a dozen, and they never go in the cellar with everything else. They are kept in a special tote in our closet for safe keeping with other important ornaments.

9. made582

made582 MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole MMC Lifer Kringle Radio DJ Louann Jeffries Award Christmas Crew Santa's Elf

My grandpa's train ornaments.

10. kerst

kerst MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

Most of my ornaments have been given to me by friends over the years and I treasure all of them but the very first one I received from a dear friend is the most special to me.

11. MsChristmas

MsChristmas MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

My Mom made me 2 ornaments last year. They are my Son's handprints. She also added pretty ribbon to each of them. They are adorable. Evan was 2 years old at the time and Dylan only about 4 months. Im sure they will always have a special place in my heart since not only are they my young Son's little hands but also that my best friend (Mom) made them for me cheesy. She quit/retired from her full time job so that she could watch my Boys while I work. She doesnt have a lot of spending money like she used to but the little gifts that she makes may not be expensive but come from the heart. She is very crafty so the things she handmakes turn out beautiful!

12. MsChristmas

MsChristmas MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

I also love my Baby hallmark ornament from the year I was born..and my Brothers also. One last one... my Grandfather (Dad's dad) was born on Christmas day. He passed away 12/2/1993. At his funeral they had beautiful red pointsetta's with silver bells on them because his favorite Christmas song was "Silver Bells". My parents have a few of those bells from his funeral flowers that go at the top of the tree each year.

13. Mumof2

Mumof2 One Happy lil Elf MMC Lifer

Mine is the Christening ornament my oldest sister's best friend gave me in 1977.It's the first ornament to go on the tree each year.Its in my christmas picture's its the largest white one at the top right,I believe. :)

14. snowytree

snowytree MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

My favorite ornaments are the ones my kids have made over the years. They are all older now and no longer make them, but we put them on the tree every year. It's fun for the kids to see and remember what they made too. I also have a set of angels I got from a good friend that I love as well.

15. Sanity Clause

Sanity Clause Elf Supervisor MMC Lifer

A Christmas star made from twisted coat hangers and silver tinsil that goes on the top of our tree every year and has done so for as long as I can remember.

16. Seawaters

Seawaters MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

One of my favorites is one my first son made in kindergarten. It is a snowman shaped out of cardboard with cotton balls for the snow and construction paper hat, eyes, nose, and mouth. Through the years, needles from our trees have stuck to it. It is almost too old to put out now (he turns 40 on Dec. 22), but I will keep it forever (or give it to him if he EVER has children!!!). I also love the ones my kids have made at school.

Cherylle in CA

17. kidzrme

kidzrme MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

My daughter traveled to Ireland with her choral group in Highschool. Knowing that I am addicted to snowmen, she bought me a beautiful Waterford heirloom ornament(snowman) I cherish it

18. joyful

joyful MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

When I was growing up my Mom had a set of tiny bells made out of china. I loved to put them on the tree. I have no idea what happened to the bells maybe they all got broken over the years but it I had one or two they would be on my tree. It was my job to put the bells on the tree.
    My trees today I just love anything that looks elegant and has sparkle to it.

19. novelist

novelist Santa's Sleigh Designer MMC Lifer

:give:My husband and I received many "First Christmas" ornaments the first Christmas we were married. Also, since I collect carousel horses, my sister gave me a set of carousel Christmas ornaments, and those are special to me too.

20. CGYager

CGYager Santa's Helper in South Dakota MMC Emeritus Member

Hand Made by My Son

I started my own tradition :tree:way back in 1985. When I began to decorate, I came upon a round piece of wood, with a golden link chain attached that said Merry Christmas on one side and I Love You Dad on the other. It then became the first ornament to go on the tree and the last one to come off.
    The other most favorite is a dual heart shaped ornament with a pair of doves on top that contains a photo of me and my wife.