Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

MMC What Coronavirus Means for Christmas

Discussion in 'My Merry Christmas' started by ElfBot, Mar 4, 2020.

1. ElfBot

ElfBot MMC Newshound

In 1918 the Spanish Flu pandemic hit in three waves – once in the spring, then again in the fall and once again in the new year of 1919. The second wave of the flu was the most deadly, killing more than 195,000 people during that stage of the event. In Western New York State a young mother of two came down with the flu in early November. Her flu morphed into pneumonia, a common part of the Spanish flu sweeping the globe that ultimately infected 55 million people. She was my great-grandmother. Her passing changed the course of ourRead more

The post What Coronavirus Means for Christmas appeared first on My Merry Christmas.

Continue reading...

Solice likes this.
  2. RachRon

RachRon Elf Supervisor MMC Lifer

What a well done extremely informative article. Thanks as always

ponytramp likes this.
  3. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award Kringle Radio DJ

It's a lot of food for thought. But if we have fewer "things" available for Christmas, it may shift our focus to other aspects of the holiday. It may make Christmas more home-focused this year. Less about crowds, concerts, parades, and shopping, and more about what we can make and do at home and in our circle of family and friends to keep Christmas.

It'll be interesting to see threads developing on the forum for coping with the various problems the coronavirus may raise on the road to Christmas. I expect we will be the ones in the vanguard of meeting and overcoming those hurdles.

Dudley likes this.
  4. Jeff Westover

Jeff Westover Chief Santa Tracker MMC Founder Santa's Elf Kringle Radio DJ

My adult children are not yet taking this seriously or seeing the potential longer term range of this thing. To them, this will be over in a couple of weeks. I can only hope they are right. But with the oil markets tanking, airlines mothballing planes, and the layoffs starting to begin I fear many are going to be caught by surprise beyond the run on TP and water at Costco.

To me this has the potential to really affect things for quite a while. It just depends on how it goes but it is shaping up, in my mind, to be quite the event.

5. made582

made582 MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole MMC Lifer Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award Kringle Radio DJ

It’s really kinda crazy the economic impact this is going to have even if it’s just short term. The port of LA has had 41 cancellations so far. The average container ship can carry 21,000 containers. That’s 861,000 containers not arriving in March. Just think of how many truckers and dock workers alone that is going to hurt.

6. Jeff Westover

Yes, to me that's the scary part.

As time passes, the virus part of this almost seems secondary in my mind. Last week at this time I was in Salt Lake at a family history conference with 28,000 other people. I was there most the week. As the week progressed we started to see more and more people wearing face masks.

It was an odd thing. You could see people literally get out of the way of those wearing masks. But as people talked the question was "Are they wearing masks to prevent infection...or to prevent transmission of a bug they already have?"

That's what this whole is about to me: mass confusion.

7. ballcoach

ballcoach Sugar Cookie Tester MMC Lifer

I know this might put us in the "overreacting" category, but we started stocking up on cleaning supplies, toilet paper, and meats. We are going to try and add some canned goods in the next few days.

I'm sorry, but I think this is going to end up getting serious.

made582 likes this.
  8. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award Kringle Radio DJ

Information to the public HAS been confused and contradictory. I'm sticking to websites like the CDC for advice and info.

Like ballcoach, I think this may wind up being more serious than many of us think, especially for those in certain age groups. At my workplace, they often place leftover food from client meetings on the kitchen counters for anybody to pick at. Now I'm cringing a bit when I see that. Also when my colleague brings in Munchkins every Friday as she has done for many years ... now I stop and think about how many hands have reached into those boxes. My workplace has a lot of 20- and 30-somethings, and I don't think the news has really sunk in yet for them. The only real concession I've seen to virus prevention is anti-bacterial hand soap in the restrooms---even then, it's anti-bacterial, not anti-viral. Still, it may get folks to wash their hands more. I worry about Mr., who takes public transportation every day.

Trying not to become obsessed, but yes, I'm following the news on this.

9. RachRon

RachRon Elf Supervisor MMC Lifer

Went to the local WalMart today not specifically for cleaning products but went down the aisle and it was wiped clean nothing left to buy even if I wanted something. Luckily we keep a handy supply of Clorox and Lysol on hand but it was amazing to see first hand the panic that is setting in ... Not that it’s unwarranted but wow !!!

10. Jeff Westover

Agreed. There's almost too much to follow now. Airlines are mothballing planes, the price of oil is plummeting, entire offices are shutting down, etc. The economics of this is staggering.

Politcally it's just a mess. The big thing I can see today is that testing particularly in the US is just too late. The tests aren't ready and aren't fast enough. Now they are saying by May you won't be able to get a bed in a hospital if you need one.

If you're over 50, chances are you're going to need one, especially with the way this virus is mutating.

Now the good news: with everyone soon to be under quarantine we should see traffic to the forums improve, eh?

ponytramp, made582 and MerryCarey like this.
  11. Dudley

Dudley Santa's Sleigh Designer Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

Seems like something like this pops up every few years. It too shall past. The biggest issue is the media. Personally I'd be surprised if this is still a subject come April.

12. made582

made582 MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole MMC Lifer Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award Kringle Radio DJ

Here’s where I’m at.

Italy had 11 cases 2 weeks ago. Yesterday they quarantined 16 million people with the threat of jail time if they try to leave.

That includes tourist hotspots Venice and Milan. They also closed gyms, museums, nightclubs and other venues across the whole country. They basically just destroyed their economy to try and contain this thing.

Show me where they do that every flu season and I’ll believe the media saying it’s no worse than the flu.

SnowflakeMom and ballcoach like this.
  13. ballcoach

ballcoach Sugar Cookie Tester MMC Lifer

Dude, you ain't kidding...

I also think comparing the number of coronavirus deaths to flu deaths is a misrepresentation. We have to look at the percentage of deaths. Sure the flu has killed more people because there has been 30,000,000 cases. I shudder to think of the number of people who die if coronavirus reaches 30,000,000 cases.

I just know we are going to be prepared.

SnowflakeMom and made582 like this.
  14. prancer

prancer Rudolph's Groomer MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

I havnt been taking much notice of the corona virus but i have sat up now and took notice...From just having 1 case over a week ago and we now stand at 278 cases...I also got a shock when i went shopping and noticed people stockpilling food as some shelves were empty.

SnowflakeMom likes this.
  15. Jeff Westover

Yes, we're at a stage where it is difficult to see what is worse -- the virus or the reactions to it.

I think it would be interesting to have folks here share what they see where they are.

I'm in Northern Utah. Stores are wiped out of TP here, but that's about it. Lots of talk, but no one here is sick.

My wife is in California, tending to her parents. She is keeping them inside. They absolutely cannot get this thing. Too many risk factors.

My son in law has been sent to work from home for the next 3 weeks. None of my other kids have experienced any changes.

16. made582

I have 2 cases within 20 miles now. Both from the Boston biogen conference.

As of Friday there was plenty of toilet paper here but you can’t find Lysol or hand sanitizer anywhere. The second case was just announced today though so people may have freaked out more.

I was at one hospital yesterday checking on my neighbor and didn’t see any kind of precautions. His nursing home has been checking visitor’s temperatures for a couple weeks because of a flu outbreak.

My main worry is taking mom and my great uncle to Physyical therapy each twice a week. That’s 4 days a week I’m sitting around in a hospital for the next 5 weeks at least. Neither one of them could afford to get it either.

Eli Lilly just announced tonight that they are going to allow anyone who can work from home to do it. They are the first company in town to do so.

It’ll be interesting to see how things change if more cases start popping up.

My great uncles physical therapy will be the first to go. His is at the VA hospital in Indianapolis and it’s always packed with people from all over the state. Plus he already knows he needs a knee replacement and the therapy isn’t really helping.

Mom’s is at the local hospital and it’s usually not crowded at all. If I start seeing an uptick though, she can build the strength back up in her hand at home.

Edit- And the third case was just announced. An elementary school student 35 miles away. They closed the school through spring break. So 4 weeks.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  17. Jeff Westover

Boy, the markets this morning....good thing I'm broke!

SnowflakeMom likes this.
  18. MerryCarey

This weekend, shelves were empty of hand sanitizer and sanitizing wipes. We haven't had trouble getting TP or paper towels.

Mr.'s mom lives at an assisted living apartment building for seniors; they're under an unofficial lockdown, hoping to limit people coming in. Biogen in Cambridge is asking employees to work from home. (Their recent conference was responsible for over a dozen cases.)

Some schools are closing because of "presumptive positive" COVID-19 tests among students' family members. One person in our town has tested positive; the high school is being disinfected as a result, as two family members are high-school age.

Worrying because Mr. takes commuter rail to get to his workplace every workday. And about a convention (small, maybe 200 people) we're to attend in June. It's not a good climate for a worrywart.

It's creeping into my dreams. I had a dream that someone came into the office and announced that a colleague had died overnight. Also dreamed I was rummaging through a bin of hand sanitizer checking expiration dates and making sure they were at least 60% alcohol. That speaks of more worry than I'd like to admit to.

19. Minta

Minta Charles Dickens' Editor MMC Lifer Christmas Crew

Stores near me still have plenty of cleaning products, wipes, sprays, soaps, etc. Some of the store have placed a limit on how many you can buy.

Kids schools have been sending home updates on how they will handle this. Since all the kids have chrome books they can continue their classwork at home if it comes to that.

I always have a well stocked pantry. I like to stock up on items we use a lot of when there is a good sale :) Chest freezer is pretty full too. I am keeping an eye on things and have an updated grocery lists of items we are low on so I can restock them when at the store or if I need to make an unplanned stop.

The main problem I am concerned with is that people can be infected with it and not have symptoms or have mild symptoms that could be passed off as something else.

20. MerryCarey

New developments in MA/Greater Boston area:
    - St. Patrick's Day parade (scheduled for Sunday) is cancelled---this is major
    - Harvard, Amherst, and other colleges are asking students not to return to campus after spring break; classes will continue online
    - 15 cases in the county I live in; 41 in the state
    - Shelves still empty of hand sanitizer and sanitizing wipes

I don't see people taking special pains to avoid or to avoid spreading virus ... yesterday a work colleague handed me a piece of paper she'd been holding between her teeth (ugh) ... I asked her to email me the info instead.