• We've noticed you use an adblocker. Ads support the operation of the Merry Forums and add to Santa's Sleigh, our little effort to help families in need at Christmas. Please disable your adblocker and register to join the Merry Forums.

MMC What Coronavirus Means for Christmas

prancer

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
Christmas Talk Alum
Nov 1, 2012
Morning peeps..quick update from the UK..Prime Minister Boris Johnson has tested postive for the corona virus...Please stay safe and healthy MMC friends.

Reactions: Rich

Jeff Westover

Chief Santa Tracker
MMC Founder
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2004
Cache Valley, Utah
jeffwestover.com
Update from Utah:

Confirmed Cases: 402
Tested: 7710
Deaths: 1

We have one county only under manadory lockdown.

We've been in all week, didn't go to the grocery store until last night. I was shocked at how empty it was because the whole panic thing has subsided. I was told they haven't had a truck there for more than a week.

We are lucky to live in a rural area. We have plenty of sources for eggs, potatoes and all kinds of milk and meat without having to go to a grocery store. We will start tapping into some of those resources today when we take a little drive out into the country.

All are well and hunkered down here. Nobody sick with my folks.

Rich

Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant
MMC Donor
Premiere Member
Sep 23, 2010
South of the North Pole ( Middle Georgia, USA)
You're right, I've never seen so many people in the neighborhood going out to take a walk. And at least half of them are walking with dogs. (I'd be out there walking too if I weren't working from home long hours!)

I saw a video of an annoyed cat yowling at his/her owners---as if to say, "Why are you still hanging around the house?? Can't I have a little privacy?" But dogs seem to be loving having their people at home all day.
I see the same thing here. People out walking everywhere. And a lot of dog walking.

Reactions: ponytramp

Minta

Charles Dickens' Editor
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Oct 10, 2004
South NJ
Went to the grocery store this morning. Pretty well stocked and not as many people as there were this time last week. My DD has to work there all day tomorrow and I am sure it will be a mad house.

We are up to 3 confirmed cases in the county I live in but there are 6,876 confirmed in the state with most still in the northern part of the state.

SnowflakeMom

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
Apr 22, 2014
Connecticut
We just had 2 people test positive in my town but they have not released any ages.. I am sure there are probably more..

Meceka

MMC Associate Editor
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 27, 2008
Mid-Michigan
We've had two confirmed cases in my county and one of them, a patient at the medical center, has died.

Iteachpercussion

Sugar Cookie Tester
Santa's Elf
Premiere Member
Nov 10, 2013
Troy, OH
Ohio numbers name a bit of a jump today:
1,137 cases confirmed
19 deaths

There is a good chance we will hit the 100,000 mark for the US today

made582

MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Apr 15, 2009
Greenfield, Indiana
In a grim update, our corners office has brought in 4 refrigerator units for extra storage.

Jeff Westover

Chief Santa Tracker
MMC Founder
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2004
Cache Valley, Utah
jeffwestover.com
Cases: 480
Tests: 9970
Deaths: 2

Hunkered in today, haven't and won't be going out. Well, I took out the garbage cans.

I had a friend who lost a sibling to Coronavirus in Washington state. That's as close as this thing has come to us, thankfully.

We have had the drive up testing available for a while now....just not seeing anyone using it. Thank goodness.

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
Mr. had to go somewhere on commuter rail today (something to facilitate his working from home), and reported seeing about 10 people in South Station; on one leg of the trip, he was the only one in his train car. That sounds almost impossible. Happily, it also sounds like people are taking this seriously and staying home.

Murphman

Santa Beagle
MMC Lifer
Jun 16, 2009
NC
North Carolina goes on lockdown Monday afternoon. Stay safe everyone. Rough times ahead.

Minta

Charles Dickens' Editor
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Oct 10, 2004
South NJ
As of yesterday NJ is u to 8876 confirmed cases and 109 deaths :( still most being in the Northern half of the state. We are at 3 confirmed cases in the county I live in.

I feel for those who have it, lost loves ones to it and those who have lost their income. It's a tough and scary time for sure.

prancer

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
Christmas Talk Alum
Nov 1, 2012
Good morning/afternoon MMC friends...Quick update from the UK...17,089 have tested positive for the corona virus and sadly 1,019 have died of the virus...Thats an increase of 260 deaths in 24hrs...Please stay safe and healthy MMC friends:)

made582

MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Apr 15, 2009
Greenfield, Indiana
Not quite as big of a jump today. They are predicting we should peak in about 3 weeks. 4D181574-3E12-41B7-B1D9-B7EE060651F5.png

A local church was doing a drive thru $5 spaghetti lunch as a fundraiser for the food pantry today. So I went and got 4 of them. Every store that was open was packed. It was like a normal Saturday. So much for people staying at home.

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
Drive-through and takeout food is helping a bit with feeling normal. Since the restaurants were restricted to takeout, we've ordered takeout pizza from a local place we love (also helps to keep them afloat! Mr. said the man behind the counter was thrilled to get our order), and got some KFC for this weekend. It's a nice changed from fixing everything at home. (Not a good habit to fall into, though!)

We're both still working from home and getting our pay, although we had a scare yesterday when Mr. got a message to call his temp agency. That usually means an assignment is about to be terminated, so we were very nervous. In the end, were just taking a survey to find out how their temps were getting along with working from home, and if they had what they needed to WFH. Whew ... !

Still can't get rid of the butterflies, though. I'm limiting the number of times I check the news each day. The "what if's" and "could be's" are just too overwhelming.

Reactions: ponytramp and Rich

Meceka

MMC Associate Editor
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 27, 2008
Mid-Michigan
Total of four cases in my county with three of them at the medical care center. I just read their latest briefing and they were taking precautions as soon as they heard of the virus so it shows how easily and quickly it can spread.

Governor Whitmer has extended the state income tax
filing deadline to July.