MMC What Coronavirus Means for Christmas

oldncrusty

Mistletoe Hanger
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
May 7, 2018
Arlington Va
Things are starting to open up again here in the DC area. I'm still weary, I actually had a Corona test Thursday. The come out to your car in a Hazmat suit. The nurse called with my results this morning, and thankfully they were negative. She also told me not to leave the house unless absolutely necessary and to always wear a mask. Just because things are opening up, does not mean this is over. I feel like we're being used as Guinea pigs. Notice how you don't see the politicians heading back to their offices?
Please stay safe everyone.

Reactions: SnowflakeMom

KimB

Elf Supervisor
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Sep 19, 2019
DB Shores, Florida
We're definitely expecting a second wave here in Florida, especially when the theme parks open.

ballcoach

Santa Clausologist
MMC Lifer
Jan 1, 2017
Our numbers are going up faster now than they ever have....

The good news is my county is actually dropping. There is a lot of benefit to being in the "land of far apart."

Iteachpercussion

Santa Clausologist
Santa's Elf
MMC Premiere
Nov 10, 2013
Troy, OH
Ohio update:
35,984 cases, increase of 471
2,206 deaths, increase of 51
Hospitalizations and ICU admissions are up slightly.

Jeff Westover

Chief Elf Officer
MMC Founder
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2004
Cache Valley, Utah
jeffwestover.com
Not surprisingly, we have had a surge of 100+ cases in our area in the past four days. No new deaths anywhere.

People are freaking out a bit about the surge but I don't know what they expected with all the free testing now available. I see cars lined up at the clinic now everyday.

A neighbor went through the line, got tested and was shocked she was positive. She feels fine, has no symptoms and has been religious about keeping herself locked up. The test -- taken from the car -- was just the 2nd time she has been out since early March.

She was angry.

So it's still a thing here. A local restaurant re-closed because they had an employee test positive in the same way. Now I'm hearing rumors that they are testing at every local manufacturing facility and one by one they are closing.

made582

MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Apr 15, 2009
Greenfield, Indiana
3BE8887F-C6DC-4E42-9EBE-FEA447C38BDE.jpeg

Some of the big labs in Indy have been shut down because of the riots along with some of the testing sites at the national guard armories who have been deployed.

Hospitalizations and ICU admits remains about the same

made582

MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Apr 15, 2009
Greenfield, Indiana
Not surprisingly, we have had a surge of 100+ cases in our area in the past four days. No new deaths anywhere.

People are freaking out a bit about the surge but I don't know what they expected with all the free testing now available. I see cars lined up at the clinic now everyday.

A neighbor went through the line, got tested and was shocked she was positive. She feels fine, has no symptoms and has been religious about keeping herself locked up. The test -- taken from the car -- was just the 2nd time she has been out since early March.

She was angry.

So it's still a thing here. A local restaurant re-closed because they had an employee test positive in the same way. Now I'm hearing rumors that they are testing at every local manufacturing facility and one by one they are closing.
I think the governor saying that the test kits we are using are only right 70% of the time has kept a rush of people from going to get tested. I’ve been thinking about it though just because I’m curious.

The 2nd round of statewide antibody testing started yesterday. I’d really like to get in on that but it’s totally random.

made582

MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Apr 15, 2009
Greenfield, Indiana
WOW! I get organic grass fed and finished hamburger for less than that.

I won't even report Florida's stats for CV because they have been grossly understated. Now, just about everything is opening and tons of people are flocking to our beaches. I decided to cancel my doctors' appointments for June. They can't do anything for me on a Zoom or the telephone and I can read my own blood work.

I am being vigilant in getting a stash of more than three months Rx on all my meds and supplements. Better safe than sorry. I also pulled $1,000 in cash to keep at home.

I still have plenty of lysol wipes, alcohol wipes, and H2O2.

Now, hurricane season begins tomorrow so I'm ordering water every time I place a grocery order. They only sell two gallons at a time. I have all my other hurricane supplies and last year I invested in a solar operated and battery operated cell phone charger and two high powered lanterns that operate on batteries. I have a LED flashlight for every room and the car. I feel much better prepared and have never been one to do last-minute preparations, especially since I was dx with ALS.

I'm also getting groceries and prescriptions delivered. My exercise consists of very short walks in the sun (I can no longer run or even walk any distance) and daily range of motion sessions in our outdoor heated pool. I'm sure blessed to live where I can get out every day
I’ve been starting to restock in case of a second wave too. I’d only been getting small orders when I went to the grocery and eating up some of my pantry items. So I did a big restock trip last week. I even grabbed some can goods I’d need for thanksgiving and Christmas.

I definitely need to add water to my list.

Stay safe, Kim!!

Reactions: KimB

Iteachpercussion

Santa Clausologist
Santa's Elf
MMC Premiere
Nov 10, 2013
Troy, OH
Ohio update:
36,350 cases, increase of 366
2,258 deaths, increase of 52

Overall, fairly consistent today with yesterday's numbers

Jeff Westover

Chief Elf Officer
MMC Founder
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2004
Cache Valley, Utah
jeffwestover.com
I just learned of a cousin up in Idaho who now has the virus. It's bad. She's in ICU on a ventilator, fluid in her lungs. She does have underlying health conditions, but she's not all that old. Very concerned for her.

made582

MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Apr 15, 2009
Greenfield, Indiana
I just learned of a cousin up in Idaho who now has the virus. It's bad. She's in ICU on a ventilator, fluid in her lungs. She does have underlying health conditions, but she's not all that old. Very concerned for her.
Lots of prayers are on the way.

KimB

Elf Supervisor
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Sep 19, 2019
DB Shores, Florida
@Jeff, Praying for your cousin in Idaho. I had a teenage cousin from New England in the ICU for a week. He is home and recovered now. At 17, he was terrified. He contracted it before his school closed.

SnowflakeMom

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
Apr 22, 2014
Connecticut
Sending prayers for your cousin...

SnowflakeMom

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
Apr 22, 2014
Connecticut
Connecticut Update:

Total # of cases: 42,979 +239 from yesterday
Deaths: 3972 +8
Hospitalizations: 434 -20 from yesterday

I am curious to see if the cases rise from the protests.

Iteachpercussion

Santa Clausologist
Santa's Elf
MMC Premiere
Nov 10, 2013
Troy, OH
Ohio update:
36,792 cases, increase of 442
2,299 deaths, increase of 41
Hospitalizations and ICU admissions are up slightly today.

The county I live in, Miami, announced that the county fair will go on as planned in August. The Ohio State Fair has been cancelled as have a handful of other county fairs.

made582

MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Apr 15, 2009
Greenfield, Indiana
0E71A8F9-AE80-4834-8D33-02244BC28159.jpeg

Indianapolishas canceled their 4th of July celebration citing the virus and financial reasons.

The first case in someone I know. My aunts neighbor went in for trouble breathing and is presumptive positive. His test will take a few days to get back. They told his wife that there is only one other person on the COVID ward so they have them at opposite ends of the hall. He’s recovering from some pretty major back surgery so hopefully his body is strong enough.

SnowflakeMom

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
Apr 22, 2014
Connecticut
View attachment 69947

Indianapolishas canceled their 4th of July celebration citing the virus and financial reasons.

The first case in someone I know. My aunts neighbor went in for trouble breathing and is presumptive positive. His test will take a few days to get back. They told his wife that there is only one other person on the COVID ward so they have them at opposite ends of the hall. He’s recovering from some pretty major back surgery so hopefully his body is strong enough.
Sending prayers! The respiratory part of this illness is so scary!

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
In the next week or so, MA may go into Phase 2---we'll learn more this weekend about when that will happen. That would start to open up restaurants and non-essential retail stores (with low capacity and various restrictions), and allow non-critical medical and dental appointments, among other things. The rule of thumb will still be "safer at home," and avoiding large crowds and limiting the amount of time spent in public and among people. With a mask, face covering, or face shield, of course.

KimB

Elf Supervisor
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Sep 19, 2019
DB Shores, Florida
Some of the cities in my area are donating their fireworks money to feed the homeless.