Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Fall/Autumn foods are you looking to? Eating & Cooking!

Discussion in 'Christmas Food' started by Courtney, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Courtney

Courtney Just "Merry-ed"! MMC Lifer

What Fall/Autumn foods are you looking forward to eating and/or making/baking?

I am looking forward to pumpkin pie and pumpkin bread. I tried to eat some pumpkin choco. chip cookies from the bakery last week because they just looked irresistible and it wasn't the same. I don't know why, but they just taste better during the Fall season. :lol:

I am also looking forward to making white chicken chili, and these from the Pioneer Woman: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/08/spicy-beans/
    Love her! cheesy

Spicy Beans

Ingredients

• 4 cups Dry Pinto Beans
    • 1 whole Ham Hock
    • 1 whole Onion, Diced
    • 2 whole Red Bell Peppers, Diced
    • 4 cloves Garlic, Minced
    • 2 whole Jalapenos, Sliced
    • 2 teaspoons Salt, More To Taste
    • 2 teaspoons Chili Powder (optional)
    • 2 teaspoons Black Pepper, More To Taste
    Preparation Instructions

Rinse beans under cold water, sorting out any rocks/particles.
    Place beans in a stock pot with the ham hock and cover with water by 2 inches.
    Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover the pot and simmer for 2 hours, checking occasionally to make sure the water level is fine. Add more water as needed.
    Then throw in diced onion, red bell pepper, garlic and jalapeno.
    Cover and continue cooking for another hour or two, remembering to check the water level.
    Add salt, chili powder (if desired) and pepper, then cover and cook for another 20 to 30 minutes, or until beans are lovely and tender.
    Serve with cornbread as a meal, or spoon on top of nachos, tacos, etc.

2. momnan30

momnan30 Christmasologist MMC Lifer

I will definitely be at starbucks on the first Tuesday of September when they roll out the pumpkin spice lattes again!

3. XmasDreams

XmasDreams Rudolph's Groomer Christmas Crew MMC Lifer MMC Donor

Yep, Got my Starbucks card full of lots of money so that i can enjoy many many Pumpkin Spice Lattes this year. I decided that I would put like 5 - 10 dollars each time I got paid for the last 6 months for so. So that would put me thorough the whole fall of drinks.

sugar142286, Spyells, Holiday and 6 others like this.
  4. momnan30

momnan30 Christmasologist MMC Lifer

I put my card on auto reload to get ready for all those yummy drinks!
    Enjoy!

5. XmasDreams

The meals that I always look for is lots of Stews and Soups. I have always been one of those people that could eat soups jsut about everyday from canned to homemade it does not matter. The reason is just that when i eat soup its almost like thinking of the those cold damp, or snowy days of playing as a kid and eating soup to warm back out before round two of fun times.

Also as mentioned Starbucks is my 2nd home in the fall and winter, as well as eating lots of Pumpkin Pie and Doughnuts.

6. Courtney

Ooh... Can't wait for the Pumpkin Spice Lattes either... or the Pumpkin Spice Coffee-mate!
    :pumpkin:

7. Laney

Laney MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

Oh fall foods, how I love you!

Taco soup, grilled cheese sandwiches, acorn squash, pumpkin spice lattes, pumpkin bread - the list could go on! And I agree, for some reason, they just taste better after the first crisp night in September!

Please hurry fall!!!

8. MerryBells

MerryBells Is enjoying the cool weather! MMC Lifer

I love the pumpkins spice lattes, and there's also a drive-thru coffee place near my house that has Gingerbread Chai Tea. Otherwise, in the fall we like anything with pumpkin in it; I have a couple of recipes for 'dinner in a pumpkin', which usually consists of some type of ground beef mixture baked in a cleaned pumpkin shell. You eat the pumpkin with the filling. Sour beef and dumplings are good in the fall, too.

sugar142286, Spyells, Holiday and 3 others like this.
  9. shellie12

shellie12 North Pole Resident MMC Lifer

For me it has to be home made veg soap and a roll
    or a big bowl of irish stew

:rudolph:

10. made582

made582 MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole Christmas Crew MMC Lifer Knights in the Service of Santa Louann Jeffries Award

I can't wait to have some homemade apple bread with a mug of fresh warm apple cider.

sugar142286, Spyells, Holiday and 3 others like this.
  11. GingerMel

GingerMel Ornament Craftsman MMC Lifer

I don't drink caffeine so I can't drink those lattes but I look forward to it being cool enough to drink hot chocolate. Starbucks does make an awesome peppermint hot chocolate.

Truth be told though...I made a pumpkin pie yesterday. hah hah. I had some pie pumpkins that I grew and one of them kept getting dropped on the floor so rather than have it go bad, I made pumpkin puree out of it. We made pie last night and I got all disappointed because I didn't realize it had to chill for 6h, which meant I had to wait until today to eat it. So I had a slice for breakfast. hah hah. It's bad, I know. Whatever. It was awesome. hah hah.

5 people like this.
  12. Courtney

Sounds delish! Our local Walmart sells "Apple Fritter Bread" and it is SO good! It's tastes exactly like an apple fritter. Mmm...

13. Kimothy

Kimothy MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

soups, stews, casseroles (I'm going to attempt one in my slow cooker!), and hot chocolate! YUM!!!!!!!!!!! cheesy

14. XmasDreams

Oh my how did i forget Hot Apple Cider.

Also don't want to forget Pumpkin Ales. Also this year if your Sam Adams fan in the Fall collections there is a new beer this year so looking forward to that.

15. ClaireLovesChristmas

ClaireLovesChristmas Christmasologist MMC Lifer

Although I love hot chocolate all year round, i especially love it in the winter months!! Also my slow cooker gets used alot more with stews etc..,

16. Mumof2

Mumof2 One Happy lil Elf MMC Lifer

Chicken & Dumpling's-Chicken Gumbo-Jambalaya-Beef Stew-American Chop Suey-Alligator Sauce Piquant-

17. snowflake22

snowflake22 *Harlowe's Mom* MMC Lifer Louann Jeffries Award

Caramel apples, pumpkin bread, grilled cheese & tomato soup, pumpkin ales, beer cheese soup, pumpkin spice lattes, and beef stew. Mmm!:scarykitty:

18. Sunshine73

Sunshine73 MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

Mmmm-- all this talk of pumpkin stuff - NOM!

I always look forward to chili but this year I'm looking forward to trying a new recipe for pumpkin soup! LOVE pumpkin.

19. MsChristmas

MsChristmas MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

I am a huge fan of caramel apples, pumpkin bread or muffins, and all sorts of different stews and soups. I also love hot chcoolate which I drink year round but it sure does taste the best with a chill in the air ... we are getting to this time of year friends!

20. Holiday

Holiday North Pole Resident MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum

SOUP!!!! And pumpkin anything! Oh, and sweet potato souffle! Oh I love comfort foods!