What Happened With Easter?

Billy Battles

Santa's Doppelganger
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Jul 12, 2007
On Santas good list(Hopefully)
I remember when I was a child Easter was huge. Everyone celebrated it. Got dressed up, had a nice dinner, visited relatives, ect... Then at some point people weren't celebrating like that anymore. It seems like it gets less attention than just about all Holidays. Why is that? What was the Cultural shift?

Holiday

MMC Christmas Angel 1971-2020
Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
It is still highly celebrated here. People might not go out & buy new Easter outfits anymore, but most families get together, have a big meal, an Easter egg hunt for the kids. The Legions & Moose Lodges around here have the Easter Bunny come & they have huge Easter egg hunts. (1000 + eggs & candy) It will be here before we know it!

Reactions: tbutler

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
There could be regional differences. If you're living now in a place different from where you grew up, local traditions may vary.

There's also the current hypersensitivity about religious diversity: there is more emphasis on eggs, candy*, and the Easter Bunny than on families gathering and going to church. Dressing up isn't quite as important these days, either. It used to be: "On Easter let your clothes be new / Or else be sure you will it rue." Nowadays a new spring wardrobe isn't rigidly enforced.

*In New England, in the same aisle with the chocolate bunnies, you can still get chocolate crosses (usually made by Russell Stover).

0937-1000.jpg

Reactions: Annette and Holiday

angelpugs

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Christmas Talk Alum
Dec 10, 2010
North Adams, MA
Dressing up for Easter was the rule at one time especially for church but,these days not many do they dress in casual type clothing,only a handful dress up,as i know growing up my mom dressed us girls up.The blonde haired girls are wearing something like we wore.0f76a559a4a4477b548da5f63ee8b1e3--easter-outfit-easter-dress.jpg easter-dressesjpg-a1cc09974ec133f6.jpg

shrcpark

Christmas Decorator
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Jun 15, 2018
The streets were clear and not much traffic around dinner time yesterday. It felt like Christmas day or New Year's day with all the people staying home or spending time with family/friends. We live on a busy street and I noticed we did not have alot of traffic yesterday on our street either.

Reactions: Annette

'Tis the season

Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Sep 6, 2010
Northern Ireland
Easter is still widely observed as a holiday here with most people off work. Days trips, holidays and organized events are popular, not to mention bunnies and eggs, but the media seem to be struggling as how to classify it. Religion is a quietly derided by most of the media so I feel they struggle to know what to do with Easter.

WintersElf

Christmasologist
MMC Lifer
MMC Premiere
Christmas Talk Alum
Jul 31, 2015
WinterWonderland -Florida
In our neck of the woods..People dress up and go to church..the kids have their eater eggs hunts etc...then we all go home for a nice ham feast..

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image