MMC What Sears Meant to Christmas

ElfBot

MMC Newshound
Oct 17, 2005
The news has been decades in the making: iconic retailer Sears is closing its doors for good this year. The effect of their loss, like that of Toys R Us, will not matter one bit to consumers. But the loss of Sears to Christmas history is worthy of note. Once upon a time Sears was the yearly watch-word for Christmas shoppers and Santa dreamers coast to coast. Kids everywhere marked the day when the Sears Christmas Wishbook would show up in the mail. Generations took their children to Sears to have their pictures taken with Santa. It was the placeRead more

The post What Sears Meant to Christmas appeared first on My Merry Christmas.

Continue reading...

Storeytime

Ornament Craftsman
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Santa's Elf
Jan 1, 2007
Texas
www.texaselectricalservices.com
Every time I see "A Christmas Story" in the opening scene, where the kids are looking through the store window at Higbee's, it reminds me of when I was a kid. We couldn't wait to go to Sears and see the electric trains and Santa. It was a big part of my Christmas as a kid.

Reactions: Bradmac and Holiday

ballcoach

Christmasologist
MMC Lifer
Jan 1, 2017
Jeff, I just loved that post. I thought it was such great writing and brought back a lot of memories for me.

Reactions: Holiday

Minta

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Oct 10, 2004
South NJ
I can remember several years as a kid spending hours sitting at the table with the sears wishbook in front of me and a marker in my hand marking off what I wanted for Christmas.

SnowflakeMom

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
Apr 22, 2014
Connecticut
I can remember several years as a kid spending hours sitting at the table with the sears wishbook in front of me and a marker in my hand marking off what I wanted for Christmas.
Yes I remember doing this too!!

GingerMel

Ornament Craftsman
MMC Lifer
Nov 1, 2006
Clinton, CT
I remember sitting on the floor of my grandmother's living room on my stomach, flipping through the Sears catalog to pick out the toys I wanted...and just being mesmerized by all the things in that huge book. It's exactly the memory I thought of when I heard Sears is closing. I am not normally someone who waxes nostalgic about the things kids today won't experience but this was definitely one of those moments...I bet kids today have never experienced what it's like to sit in front of an actual catalog (certainly one as huge as that) and daydream about all the toys they'd like to have. We were pretty poor so I really wasn't going to get all of those toys but it was so fun to sit and imagine it/hope for it.

Reactions: snowflake22

Jeff Westover

Chief Elf Officer
MMC Founder
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2004
Cache Valley, Utah
jeffwestover.com
I remember sitting on the floor of my grandmother's living room on my stomach, flipping through the Sears catalog to pick out the toys I wanted...and just being mesmerized by all the things in that huge book. It's exactly the memory I thought of when I heard Sears is closing. I am not normally someone who waxes nostalgic about the things kids today won't experience but this was definitely one of those moments...I bet kids today have never experienced what it's like to sit in front of an actual catalog (certainly one as huge as that) and daydream about all the toys they'd like to have. We were pretty poor so I really wasn't going to get all of those toys but it was so fun to sit and imagine it/hope for it.
I can remember being 8 years old and having a dream where I had one a contest and my prize would be to pick one item from every page of the Wishbook and a big truck would then deliver it to my house.

It was such an awesome dream it then became my habit to actually go through the catalogue to decide which one item of the page I would take. I would work my way through the catalogue day by day leading up to Christmas and usually got through most of it by Christmas.

Some pages the decisions were tough, especially when it came to things like video games and tools. Other pages, like women's underwear, were a burden to me but in my mind I had to do it because those were the rules. I had to pick one item to every page.

Reactions: GingerMel

Christmasplease

Fruit Cake Baker
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Santa's Elf
Christmas Talk Alum
Aug 9, 2015
Canada
I adored the Wish Book! I would get mine at the end of August. I loved it, then my kids loved it. I remember when it started coming out later, and then when it became as thin as a magazine. I was so disappointed. I now wish I had kept even two of the Wish Books from the 1990's.

GingerMel

Ornament Craftsman
MMC Lifer
Nov 1, 2006
Clinton, CT
Jeff, that's exactly the kind of thing that I used to do!

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image