Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

What think ye of Macy's New Ad? Should Trump Go?

Discussion in 'Christmas Controversy & Opinion' started by Jeff Westover, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Jeff Westover

Jeff Westover Chief Santa Tracker MMC Founder Santa's Elf Kringle Radio DJ

Macy's got a little love from Cher who tweeted her usual hate when she saw Donald Trump in this new Christmas ad:

[youtube_browser]iy14SGW9vX0[/youtube_browser]

What think ye of this ad?

For me, it lacks the charm of the ads we see coming out of the UK. But I think Donald Trump is hardly the story in this ad from Macy's.

What do you think of their use of Miracle on 34th Street?

2 people like this.
  2. GingerMel

GingerMel Ornament Craftsman MMC Lifer

I really like that ad. I thought it was cute. Donald Trump is in it for only a few seconds and he's being Grinchy (as usual) so it's kind of funny.

1 person likes this.
  3. RadioJonD

RadioJonD ♪♫Mistletoe Mix-ologist♫♪ MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum Kringle Radio DJ

You may have answered your own qurstion, emski4379.

If Cher's torn up like a can of sauerkraut about that commercial, then I was all for it without even watching it!

After watching it, all I can say is that thank goodness Turner Entertainment wasn't able to get a hold of it and maybe they won't ever!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
    2 people like this.
  4. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award Kringle Radio DJ

I looked that one up myself. Trump was very publicly anti-Obama during the campaign (birther controversy, etc.), so many people see his skepticism about Santa Claus in the commercial as a reflection/platform of his political views. There are online petitions with hundreds of thousands of "signatures" demanding that Trump be removed as a Macy's spokesman.

1 person likes this.
  5. Jeff Westover

Proving yet once again that all publicity is good publicity.

DustyMoth, snowflake22 and Solice like this.
  6. RadioJonD

RadioJonD ♪♫Mistletoe Mix-ologist♫♪ MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum Kringle Radio DJ

That’s true enough! I seldom watch TV and would have probably missed this commercial otherwise. Just think, I have Cher & Jeff to thank!

I’m more disturbed about Jeff being privy to Cher’s Tweets! :D

3 people like this.
  7. Jeff Westover

That had better be the first and last time my name is used in the same sentence as Cher!

8. MonsterMasher

MonsterMasher Twinkle Light Checker Merry Forums Member

I like it. I think it's wonderful to see Macy's doing a commercial that promotes Christmas and a good charity instead of pushing sales, products and etc..I love the use of Miracle on 34th street as well, makes me want to watch the movie now, Lol

1 person likes this.
  9. RadioJonD

I was remorseful even as I clicked the send button.

2 people like this.
  10. Anne_Langston

Anne_Langston MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

I haven't seen the commercial....I'm one that was less than thrilled with Trump's twitter call for a revolution or marching on Washington because the candidate he backed lost, but I really don't see his appearance in a commercial to be much of a big deal, to be honest. In some ways it's bad timing, but I'm sure it was shot way before the election.

To tell the truth, I'm indebted to Mr. Trump for answering a lifelong Christmas question for me--I've always wondered how Mr. Potter reacted when he found out that George Bailey _wasn't_ going to jail, and thanks to the Donald's tweets, I think I have a very good idea now ;-)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
    Tim Babb and snowflake22 like this.
  11. redkaga

redkaga Elf Supervisor MMC Lifer

Trump has certainly shown that he's vile in his political actions, regardless of his views, but let the consumers vote with their wallets whether a relationship between Trump and Macy's matters.

2 people like this.
  12. Solice

Solice Christmas Royalty MMC Lifer

I would have liked it better without the grumpy old Trump..:wink:

2 people like this.
  13. Billy Battles

Billy Battles Santa's Doppelganger MMC Lifer MMC Donor

I am not a Trump fan, however I feel like he is able to make fun of himself. I didn't mind him in the commercial.

1 person likes this.
  14. joyful

joyful MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

I like the ad, very creative. And I like Donald Trump. I guess it's ok if Cher makes millions of dollars running around half dressed but a man with an eye for business is not allowed to make money.

Still my favorite Christmas commercial is Sears with the father and little boy at the mall. That little boy is so cute.

15. redkaga

redkaga Elf Supervisor MMC Lifer

I'm not a Cher fan, but I don't think the issue is Trump's ability to make money. If I understand what's going on, several groups want consumers to boycott Macy's for their continued association with Trump. The charge is that Trump, rather than just being a blowhard, is racist and has shown a lack of respect for the office of President with his involvement in the birther movement and his recent call for Obama to release his academic records.

2 people like this.
  16. Bradmac

Bradmac It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year! MMC Lifer

It's getting a little political in here. Not everyone has the same opinions, y'all.

I'd rather talk about the commercial, which I thought was "ok", but not as good as this John Lewis commercial.

:thumbsup:

2 people like this.
  17. Mumof2

Mumof2 One Happy lil Elf MMC Lifer

I thought it was cute!

1 person likes this.
  18. joyful

joyful MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

Amen, Bradmac. I totally agree.

3 people like this.
  19. Neotericisis

Neotericisis Elf Choir Book Distributor Merry Forums Member

This commercial is actually kind of cute- Trump was at least being himself.

How do you all feel about Macy's Hurricane Sandy Relief Savings Pass? I think it is in very poor taste, and as someone who was out of power for over a week and has a brother who lost 1/2 his house it downright ****es me off.

There is a copy of it here (along with some other ads): http://www.breakingcopy.com/sandy-ads/

20. Anne_Langston

Anne_Langston MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

I apologize if I seemed to be political, that was definitely not my intent. I have seen the commercial now, and I thought it was.....okay. Pretty inoffensive, really.

1 person likes this.