When do you start shopping?

christmas2009

Christmas Fan
MMC Member
Mar 24, 2009
Staffs uk
When do you start your Christmas shopping?

I tend to start mine when the Kids go back to school in Sept also when do you start doing your christmas food shopping?

B

ballcoach

Our Christmas shopping starts next month. We buy some each month from August on....just a couple a month...and we start buying food for Christmas in October....stuff that won't spoil or go bad before Christmas....

MsChristmas

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 8, 2008
Maryland, USA
I usually start around July or August buying little things here and there. Food wise I dont start until probably November. We dont do a whole lot of Holiday baking/cooking..my parents and in-laws live 5 minutes away so we are usually at one of their houses!

Yuletide Junkie

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Premiere Member
Jan 17, 2008
Minnesota
We have ordered some ornaments already, but that's a tad earlier than we usually get in gear. Christmas chowables usually don't get procurred until the second week of November.

Christmas-A-Holic

MMC Goodwill Ambassador
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Santa's Elf
Jun 21, 2009
Deep in the Heart of Texas!
I use to start in the summer and be finished by October when I had a lot to buy for. I don't have near as many to buy for now and wait and shop in November and December. I actually have fun shopping during that hectic time. :-x
I shop for baking items a week or 2 before Christmas and food for Christmas day a few days before.

christmas2009

Christmas Fan
MMC Member
Mar 24, 2009
Staffs uk
I always do my Food shopping on Christmas Eve which i love doing and have done it for many years like that but over here in the UK we just go mad with it all and buy too much and spend too much money but not sure how it will be this year with the way the world is money wise.

usafvet

Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
MMC Lifer
Dec 28, 2006
Central Texas
I've already began a little Christmas shopping here and there, buying some things now while I can. I don't know how our state of economy will be in 6 months plus my wife and I are expecting a baby in two 1/2 weeks, so it has been easier to buy now while we can before our funds go toward baby needs and other expendatures.

Typically, I usually did shopping around Thanksgiving/Black Friday unless I felt motivated to do it earlier on some occasions. I love the hussle and bussle to get out during black Friday, though I always seem to complain to myself about it on that day and always question why I it is I woke up so early just to deal with the crowds and rudeness of some folks.

Minta

Charles Dickens' Editor
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Oct 10, 2004
South NJ
We started shopping the day after Christmas! I tend to shop all year long, looking for sales and bargins. Our kids are about 1/3 way done now and we will hold off on buying anything else for them until the end of Oct. One has a birthday next month and the other has one in the beginning of Oct. Aug/Sept is usually spent shopping for back to school supplies and fall/winter clothes for the kids.
Hubby and I usually shop the Toys R Us Big toy book sale which always starts the last Sunday in Oct. Between that and Black Friday we will finish up the kids. Our goal is to be done all gift shopping by Dec 1.

Snow-in-Texas

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
MMC Emeritus Member
Jun 28, 2009
Dallas, TX
I use to start in the summer and be finished by October when I had a lot to buy for. I don't have near as many to buy for now and wait and shop in November and December. I actually have fun shopping during that hectic time. :-x
I shop for baking items a week or 2 before Christmas and food for Christmas day a few days before.
Gee sweety, I didn't think we ever stopped.:smile:

Christmas24/7

Snowman Engineer
MMC Lifer
Jul 5, 2009
I shop year round and especially love shopping the Christmas clearance right after Christmas every year. I have even been known to purchase gifts a Christmas or two in advance. I have made a HUGE dent in my Christmas shopping this year but will wait closer to Christmas to finish up with my kids since their wants change with time. :):rudolph:

Santa's Helper

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 14, 2007
Out there
I usually try to pick up stuff year round but, this year I am behind. I just haven't been into it with school and all. I'll probably kick it into high gear in Sept. though. I shop for food a couple of days before Christmas.

kelly ann

Christmasologist
MMC Member
Oct 15, 2007
swansea. uk
I like the summer sales, so I will keep a look out then for toys etc. But I'd rather shop November time because I like to shop more nearer to Christmas. But I never leave everything until last minute like my uncle, who prefers to buy his wife's gift on Christmas Eve!!

Lucyuk

Christmas Fan
MMC Member
Mar 8, 2009
I'm a total procrastinator and usually start about a week before Christmas. But I usually know what I'm buying for everyone before then.

joyful

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 25, 2006
northeast USA
I started last month. I start with the grandchildren.

MsChristmas

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 8, 2008
Maryland, USA
I just bought my son a few more things yesterday! He is the only one I have started on. I dont have a whole lot of people to buy for but I do like to start around July but dont usually finish completely until November..some last minute things even wait until December!

whitney37354

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
Jan 16, 2009
Tennessee
If I see something during the year, I'll pick it up, but I really start in October when I buy all the nieces (7 of them) & nephew (1 of them) clothes for Christmas. I like to be finished by Thanksgiving, but in recent years, it's not happening. I think having a child changed that for me.

ChristmasLovers

Chestnut Roaster
MMC Member
Aug 28, 2008
Centerville, OH
www.trainweb.org
We intend to start shopping sometime in September when there aren't many birthdays to deal with lol. But we seem to always get down to the last few weeks and our last few dollars before we shop.

When we can start early, we get things we are certain will not be on sale or at a major discount by Christmas time, like oddball and obscure things the family members want. We save items like electronics, toys, video games, clothes, etc. For after Thanksgiving unless we see something on sale before then.

dancer_90

Chestnut Roaster
MMC Member
Jul 18, 2009
Shropshire UK
this year I'm hoping to start my shopping in august, my mum and I have got a week off at the end of august so we have planned a couple of shopping trips so Im hoping to get quite a few gifts then, but I have to do at least some shopping in december as I love the atmosphere

ohchristmastree

Twinkle Light Checker
MMC Member
Aug 22, 2008
Gloucester, England
Well, I start about now. I find if I pace myself from now, there is a lot less stress money wise and trying to find something for the right person than there would be if i did it closer to christmas. I do a bit at christmas though as there is somthing very magical walking through town doing christmas shopping with the lights in the trees and with a Starbucks gingerbread coffee :hello: !!!

Harry

Jolly Old Elf Mary

Tinsel Straightener
MMC Member
Nov 29, 2008
Kentucky
I start my shopping in August and have it finished by Thanksgiving. I like to start early to avoid the rude crowds during the Christmas season. The Christmas season haters can really put a damper on your holiday spirit.

I've actually started looking through catalogs to get Christmas ideas and have made a small list. I have 14 people to buy for and I only have ideas for a few of them.

Around the first of November, I buy the dry ingredients for all the candies and food I make for the holidays. A week before Christmas, I buy the perishable ingredients.

:sparkle: