Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

When does a house become a home?

Discussion in 'Christmas Home' started by MichelleluvsChristmas, Sep 6, 2016.

1. MichelleluvsChristmas

MichelleluvsChristmas Christmas Aficionado MMC Lifer

Merry Tuesday to you all :) I hope you had a wonderful long weekend.

So, Adam and I have been in Colorado for two months now and I am wondering.. when does a new house become a home? It's like, all of our stuff is here.. everything is placed where I want it to be and yet I don't feel at home here.

Maybe (and I am praying for this) when I put up all of my Christmas decorations it will start to feel less stark and more cozy. It's kind of an uncomfortable feeling.. like I am in someone else's home. I just need for Halloween to get here (that's when I put up all my decorations) and maybe that will help.

Sorry for the rant.. just feeling a bit sad today for some reason.
    -Michelle

Holiday and snowflake22 like this.
  2. snowflake22

snowflake22 *Harlowe's Mom* MMC Lifer Louann Jeffries Award

Merry Tuesday, Michelle~

Sorry to hear that you're feeling sad. Sending you big hugs.

I know how you must feel, as I felt the same way when I left home and moved to Nevada. All I can say is that it does take time. I know that probably doesn't help a whole lot right now. Do whatever you can to make things feel cozy there, whether it's certain wax scents to burn that remind you of happy memories, personal touches to ad- craft things, new framed photos as well as precious ones from Canada.
    I'm sure that your Christmas decorations will make a big impact!
    Starting a few new traditions around the holidays helped me, seeing Halloween/Christmas sights is your new area, experiencing these things together will help <3
    And of course incorporate your beloved traditions that you've always enjoyed!
    How about a portrait session with Bailey & Brady? And then hang those pics!

Thinking of you, lovely!
    xx

Holiday likes this.
  3. Minta

Minta Charles Dickens' Editor MMC Lifer Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Crew

I know how you feel. We bought this home almost 11 months ago it took a while for it to feel like home. It wasn't until after we finished painting all the rooms over this summer that it finally felt like home. Its amazing how much difference paint can make.

Because we bought the house the week before halloween we were not able to decorate the outside for fall/halloween/thanksgiving and put up very minimal fall/thanksgiving decorations up inside. At Christmas again we could not decorate like we wanted to due to my mom being in the hospital/pt rehab as dealing with that took up a lot of our time. I cannot wait to start decorating for fall here.

Holiday likes this.
  4. MerryBells

MerryBells Is wanting the cool weather! MMC Lifer Christmas Card Exchanger

I remember that feeling from when I got married and moved to my own place. We moved right before Thanksgiving, and even during our first Christmas in our new house, it didn't feel like home. I think it was because we still weren't used to the new house, and everything looked (and smelled) so new. Even having some of the old furniture didn't help. It just took us some time to feel that our house was comfortable and 'lived in', and then we felt like we were at home. I can't say that we really noticed when that happened; it came on gradually, and when it did we laughed at ourselves for ever feeling like the house wasn't our home yet.
    Good luck to you, and I wish you many happy days in your new home!

Holiday likes this.
  5. NcGunny

NcGunny Candycane Wrangler MMC Emeritus Member

I noticed that everybody avoided the other issue like the plague. Sometimes it may never seem like your home. I was stationed on the same base for 23 years, in that time I had 3 different "On base" homes. I then moved off base and owned 2 different homes. The only one that actually felt like mine was the last house I had before I retired. Sometimes you settle for what you can get, other times you may be rushed and not think it through. Whatever the reason, you have to try and make it your own. Paint,decorate, throw a party..lol.
    Hopefully it will feel like "yours".

Holiday likes this.
  6. Coen

Coen Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class MMC Premiere Member

Having moved myself about two years ago I can still relate to how you feel. I don't think that there is a set time or one certain thing that can make a house feel like a home. The more time you spend there and the more people come by it just slowly happens. Forming new traditions certainly helps, and I find that it is mainly a mental thing. For me, it never happens consciously. At one point, I just started thinking of my new place as home. It was something that I suddenly noticed I was doing and I could not quite place in time when I started doing it. But it will come, you don't have to worry about that. Just accept it for what it is now and try and feel comfortable :)

Holiday likes this.
  7. angelpugs

angelpugs Christmasologist MMC Lifer Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum 2018 Ornament Exchanger

It was hard for me as i moved to another state all together,i had lived in my hometown since i was small so being in another state was hard enough.For me things got easier as i got involved with my community and made alot of great friends and after going around and seeing this amazing place it just started from there.I'm living in the beautiful Berkshires-Green mountians as i'm 10 mins from the vermont line.My new house is a true Berkshire style home so,i redid it to that era with new paint,repurposed pieces of furniture and started those old traditions that use to be here.It took a little time but,now i repurpose many furniture pieces,i make alot of my own decor from things right here and i now do baking and candy confections.In life things can be an adjustment but,i now can say proudly this is home,this beautiful amazing place is my home.I wish you all the very best. WHITE CHRISTMAS..gif

Holiday likes this.
  8. novelist

novelist Mistletoeologist MMC Lifer

The longer you live in your new home, the more it will feel like a home. You will notice a big difference when you decorate for the holiday, maybe even start with Fall decorations. The more you do, the more you will feel like "your home". Have fun and enjoy every minute!