Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

When does it start for you ??

Discussion in 'Christmas Talk' started by Nash, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Nash

Nash Elf Supervisor MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

Thought i would start new thread on this Sunday morn as I sat here contemplating ..

When do you "really " start having the festive season thrust to the forefront of things etc for me here in UK its
    When kids go back to School after summer break
    Adverts for furniture on TV say "Order now for Christmas delivery"
    Shops start getting Halloween stuff in
    and Strictly come Dancing is back on Tele

:)

HollyJolly, JollyHeather and SnowDog like this.
  2. ChantelleJoy

ChantelleJoy Partner, AllThingsChristmas.com MMC Partner MMC Premiere Member

Nash, I couldn't agree more! In the UK it's definitly September - when you start to see the Christmas Chocolates boxes in stores, and the pubs have their "Book your Christmas Party" signs out.

I just moved here from Canada two years ago, so this will be my 2nd Christmas in London - It's really magical here! In Canada it's pretty discouraged to even Mention christmas till after Halloween, but as it's not such a big holiday here - September is really the kick-off for me! :)

HollyJolly likes this.
  3. Nash

Well i know its a bit late but welcome to good old blighty ...it aint so bad if you ignore the politics and the moaners and 90% of everythin else lol ...but its lush its green and it has history ...have trips around there are some lovely places ...I urge you to visit Stratford upon avon ...and as a bonus it has a Year round Christmas shop full of top notch stuff NOT tatt :)

4. ChantelleJoy

Oh that sounds lovley - it's on my 'to do' list for sure. Been up to Scotland (Glasgow, Stirling & Edinburgh) so far, but not much else within the UK yet (Paris, Brussels and Barcelona have taken up some other travel plans).

Thanks for the warm welcome. :)

HollyJolly likes this.
  5. Nash

No worries Im in the middle of UK known as ..........."The Midlands" lol lol bout hour and a bit From Stratford on Avon but i have to say Stratford is my favourite place in UK

6. Jeff Westover

Jeff Westover Chief Santa Tracker MMC Founder Santa's Elf Kringle Radio DJ

What do you mean by "start"? This is a foreign concept to me.

ponytramp, HollyJolly, Mom21 and 4 others like this.
  7. Nash

LOL LOL yes I would imagine it is for all of us on here lol but you know what i mean :)

ponytramp and HollyJolly like this.
  8. Art the Bookworm

Art the Bookworm Mistletoe Hanger Merry Forums Member

I mentioned this in other places, but I will listen to Christmas music occasionally and briefly through out the year. But for our whole family, it usually starts on Nov 1 with the music, Decorate the weekend of Thanksgiving. Although we have already gone to Hobby Lobby to check out the Christmas section - I love to do that as soon as they go up in stores! It's not really about the buying, I just love to see Christmas things and to see what triggers memories, what inspires me to be creative, and just the sights and smells of the season. Some people complain when stuff goes up early - I don't! I make it work for me. :)

9. Jeff Westover

Jeff Westover Chief Santa Tracker MMC Founder Santa's Elf Kringle Radio DJ

Yes, just giving you a hard time!

10. Nash

lol good job theres a few miles between us Mr W lol

11. SnowDog

SnowDog Reindeer Pooper Scooper Merry Forums Member

Wow London sounds magical! I would love to visit one day if I get lucky enough to! For me I love autumn just as much as Christmas time because of all the beautiful colors.. oranges, reds, golds... i start getting excited usually in August because I know right around the corner is the BERS!!! I look forward to Christmas time a few days after Thanksgiving :) , as soon as I hear the music on the radio. I wish it lasted longer... It doesn't usually get cold here until after Christmas.

12. Art the Bookworm

I wish it would last longer too. I really hate how the radio stations here turn off the Christmas music at midnight on Christmas day. It drives me crazy! They make a big deal about starting the music so early, and then it's like they can't wait to get it out. :) Ok, I'm done ranting now. I'm gonna go and listen to some Christmas music till I feel better, lol...

13. ChantelleJoy

That's one thing that the UK doesn't have over Canada/USA - the Fall Colours. It gets yellow/brown, but nothing like the vibrant Orange/Reds that the trees have over in North America (Specifically New England/Ontario/East Coast). :)

ponytramp, HollyJolly and SnowDog like this.
  14. SnowDog

SnowDog Reindeer Pooper Scooper Merry Forums Member

We don't get the fall colors AT ALL here in Florida, everything is green and warm year round, drives me crazy :( . But our house is full of colorful decorations so it feels like fall indoors lol! The night sky in the winter time is always crisp and clear here though, it is the only time we can actually see the stars, maybe because there aren't tons of thunder clouds up there for once.

HollyJolly and frostyman like this.
  15. SnowflakeMom

SnowflakeMom Dang Near Santa Himself MMC Lifer

I think once Labor Day hits I am ready for fall and cooler days.

16. shrcpark

shrcpark Reindeer Feeder Technician Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

I love the rain storms in Florida. 10 minutes of rain and then, poof, pretty clouds and clear skies.

17. frostyman

frostyman Ornament Craftsman MMC Lifer

By the end of September we will decorate for the Autumn season and mix in some Halloween with it. The feeling of excitement begins to grow.

18. Christmasplease

Christmasplease Ornament Craftsman MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Talk Alum

Oh, I want to experience Christmas in England again. I left when I was two so I don’t remember at all. The best I can do is go to the “Little Bit of Britain” stores here. They say the “Milky Bar” Advent Calendars will be our by the end of this month. Yippeeee!!

HollyJolly likes this.
  19. Art the Bookworm

I had posted something on my facebook about there being only 71 days till Thanksgiving, and then someone was like "Is that the countdown to when people will stop judging you for listening to Christmas music?"

I think it was meant to be funny, but sometimes (ok often) I wish people wouldn't get so upset if I choose to listen to Christmas before Thanksgiving, or all year round even. I wish they wouldn't get upset if I even mention the word Christmas, or post something Christmas related online. I could probably post an offensive joke and people would have less problems with that. Some of them get SO angry. Has anyone else dealt with this? When I run into those folks who respond negatively, I do try to remind them that I am not saying everyone should do it. I try to explain that for me this doesn't absorb Thanksgiving either. (Thanksgiving is my 2nd favorite holiday!) I try to find out what they like, whether it's a holiday or not, and see if I can help make a connection. This might be a surprise, but there are lots of angry people on the internet, lol.

For me, Christmas isn't about the shopping and spending money that some think it is. Christmas music and thoughts of Christmas throughout the year help me through the hard days, helps me find joy in the darkness, and helps me be a better, joyous person. I believe that Christmas "has done me good, and will do me good; and I say, God bless it!"

I have a dear friend who has lovingly nicknamed me Fred Scrooge. Can you see why? :) So listen to Christmas music, celebrate, whatever you do - do it whenever! You might be decorating before I am ready to decorate, but I'm gonna support your choice. Once again, I'm glad I found this site where I can talk about Christmas without people thinking I am ignoring/destroying all the other holidays.
    -sing-

20. Christmasplease

Christmasplease Ornament Craftsman MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Talk Alum

AMEN TO THAT!!!!!