Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

When does it start for you ??

Discussion in 'Christmas Talk' started by Nash, Sep 9, 2018.

1. DecemberisComing

DecemberisComing Chestnut Roaster Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

I stop resisting and embrace the planning right after the long Columbus Day weekend.

2. Christmasplease

Christmasplease Ornament Craftsman MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Talk Alum

I’ll say a prayer for you JH!

3. Skippy1707

Skippy1707 Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class Merry Forums Member

Id say for me - its when the kids go back to school because thats when I really start focusing on Christmas and everything becomes more obviously Christmas related.
    I really know its Christmas though when our UK TV show 'Im a Celebrity, Get me out of here' starts!

Christmasplease and Nash like this.
  4. JollyHeather

JollyHeather Santa's Sleigh Designer MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

Thank you my friend.

Christmasplease likes this.
  5. Mystikkal_one

Mystikkal_one Christmas Fan Merry Forums Member

For me it starts at the end of August, People always make fun of me, but when I tell them the reason, they totally understand... I usually want to get out and put lights up when its nice weather, I don't know how many people enjoy being out when its Raining, Cold, or in some places Snowing to put up lights... I put them up outside in the late summer, then I can focus on the inside when its nasty out! This year I am a little behind because I have had some health issues!..... but I am plugging away at it as we speak the day after Halloween my decorations come down and the entire Christmas display goes up!... :D

Christmasplease, ponytramp and Dudley like this.
  6. ponytramp

ponytramp Elf Supervisor Merry Forums Member

I put the outside lights up the first nice day after Halloween. I just don't turn them on until mid November. (and even then others have already turned on their lights)

I agree about putting them up when the weather is nicer. Why freeze your buns off when it's cold or snowy outside. (been there, done that)

By mid November I've decorated inside.

Listening to music - I usually start in October so any day now!

Judgemental people - I'm not a judgemental person so I (naturally) do not like it when people judge me. I just don't understand why they have to get their breeches in a twist over something that really doesn't affect them. o_O

7. RadioJonD

RadioJonD ♪♫Mistletoe Mix-ologist♫♪ MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum Kringle Radio DJ

The kick start for me is when public radio stations begin posting holiday specials/show schedules, some as early as late September or early October.

SiriusXM posts their seasonal stations around this time as well. In fact, this year that was Monday of this week!

All this coincides with the annual Christmas Radio Programming & Schedule thread.

Another annual anticipated indicator that arrives each September is when the wheels start turning faster (never fully stop) toward the Fifty (plus) Hour Tracking Santa Broadcast on Kringle Radio! We are already just past knee deep already!

I am nearing full speed for 2019!

8. KimB

KimB Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

Each year it is different for me. It depends on if I'm having a party or company. I'm not much into Halloween but I love Thanksgiving. By Thanksgiving, I'm more than ready for Christmas.

Any time of the year I'm up for watching a Christmas movie.....they cheer me up.

Christmasplease, ponytramp and Dudley like this.
  9. angelpugs

angelpugs Dang Near Santa Himself MMC Lifer Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum

Living here in New England it gets cold right now our nights are down to 30 so we know how to prepare outside is getting done this week before the ground freezes.And on Nov.4th the inside gets done trees go up and my home turns into santa land lol,as we listen to our christmas music and enjoy eggnog while decorating.

ponytramp, Dudley and Christmasplease like this.
  10. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award Kringle Radio DJ

Until recently I couldn't put my finger on what kicks off the holiday season for me, but I think I know now, and it's an odd thing: getting the piano tuned.

I rarely get to play the piano anymore (and I'm not a terribly good musician), but I enjoy playing during the Christmas season, so I have the piano tuned in November. It's the same piano I've had since I was 7 or 8 years old, a plain little spinet. For some reason, hearing the tuner at his or her work (ping-ping-ping, plunk-plunk, the sound of the strings' pitch coming together, the scrape of the tools on the string pegs) gets me excited for the season. When the piano has its best voice back, the season is here, somehow!

And, oh yes, the piano tuner is coming on Friday. +n

Nash and Dudley like this.