Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Where did Santa leave your gifts?

Discussion in 'Traditions & Memories' started by Christmasplease, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Christmasplease

Christmasplease Santa Clausologist MMC Lifer MMC Donor Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Talk Alum 2018 Ornament Exchanger Santa's Elf

Most movies show Santa leaving the gifts under the tree. When I was little, gifts from my parents, family and friends were under the tree, but Santa used to leave my gifts on the floor at the end of my bed.

2. Wayne

Wayne Merry Forums Newbie Merry Forums Member

I grew up in England in the Seventies. We had a large inflatable Rudolph in our living room and my parents made a box into his sleigh. Our presents appeared in the sleigh on Christmas morning.

3. Solice

Solice Christmas Royalty MMC Lifer Christmas Card Exchanger

Here in Norway we open gifts on Christmas Eve (that is the BIG day here)

Santa in person is delivering the gifts (usually coming through the terrace door)
    after we had our Christmas dinner (Dinner always starts 5PM on Christmas Eve)
    We usually goes around the Christmas tree singing Christmas carols when Santa arrives.

After Santa has delivered all his presents from his big bag, and left us
    we will open all the gifts under the tree...

It take hours in our big family beacause we open one gift at a time,
    so everyone can see what everyone is getting.

And I think its important that the kids learn to appreciate such things like the beautiful wrapping, what it says on the gift tag, and that they know what they got from whom.

One year Isak was sick, Santa came earlier that day:

[​IMG]

And here he comes just minutes before dinner when we celebrated Christmas at my parents (Isak in the chair):

[​IMG]

And that is often a good thing.
    The kids will then enjoy their dinner, and not rush to finish it.

:march:

leah, ballcoach, SnowflakeMom and 6 others like this.
  4. Christmasplease

Christmasplease Santa Clausologist MMC Lifer MMC Donor Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Talk Alum 2018 Ornament Exchanger Santa's Elf

Oh my goodness, that’s so cool!

Solice, snowflake22 and Holiday like this.
  5. Christmasplease

Solice, what an amazing way to do Christmas! It’s so great to hear all these different traditions!

6. made582

made582 MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole MMC Lifer Kringle Radio DJ Louann Jeffries Award Christmas Crew Santa's Elf

Our gifts from Santa were always under the tree and then family gifts were around the fireplace.

7. Christmasplease

I love the idea of having gifts around the fireplace!

8. Christmasplease

Solice, is that the way many families do it in Norway, or just something your family likes to do?

9. Holiday

Holiday North Pole Resident MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum

Those are both very cool/festive & unique ideas!! ♥

Christmasplease and snowflake22 like this.
  10. Holiday

How fun. LOVE the pictures!!!! ♥

Santa would always come to our big family parties (with aunts & uncles) but he only came a couple times on Christmas Eve to my parents!! And THEN he was a friend of mine (I was in my early 20's) & he would say "come here little girl"... and make me sit on his lap! Ornery booger! ;) :p :D He thought that was sooooo funny...and so did my little nieces & nephews!!

11. Holiday

All of our presents - Santa & other - were always under the tree! I guess we were boring!!! ;)

made582 and snowflake22 like this.
  12. snowflake22

snowflake22 *Harlowe's Mom* MMC Lifer Louann Jeffries Award

I love your traditions, Solice!! So lovely.
    And the photos are PRICELESS!!l <3
    xo

Holiday, Solice and Christmasplease like this.
  13. Christmasplease

Nice!

snowflake22 and Holiday like this.
  14. Christmasplease

That is not boring. That is beautifully traditional!!

15. Solice

Solice Christmas Royalty MMC Lifer Christmas Card Exchanger

I would say that all Norwegians do it this way :march:

16. Holiday

:) When I was little, Santa would come on Christmas Eve (my older brothers or sisters) while we were at 5pm mass & then driving around looking at lights after.

17. angelpugs

angelpugs Christmasologist MMC Lifer Christmas Card Exchanger Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum 2018 Ornament Exchanger

Ours always under the tree as we gather and exchange each gift and then we do our stockings as we watch White Christmas"which is a tradition.

18. Christmasplease

Nice tradition angelpugs!

Holiday likes this.
  19. shrcpark

shrcpark Reindeer Feeder Technician Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member Christmas Card Exchanger 2018 Ornament Exchanger

My parents put our presents under the tree and on the fireplace as well. My parents always host Christmas eve and Thanksgiving dinner. It was so nice back then. I wish I appreciated it more.

Solice, sugarmuffin25 and Holiday like this.
  20. Christmasplease

Sounds lovely.
    I know, there are so many things I wish I had appreciated more. One of the many things I am SO thankful for is the love of Christmas my parents passed down to me!

Solice and Holiday like this.