Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Where did Santa leave your gifts?

Discussion in 'Traditions & Memories' started by Christmasplease, Aug 6, 2018.

1. ponytramp

ponytramp Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class Merry Forums Member

Yes! One year we went shopping and when we came home we found the dog enjoying his Christmas present. (a rawhide bone) He had found it under the tree, unwrapped it and started enjoying it. Yes, he could unwrap things. He would hold the gift between his paws and carefully pull off the wrapping paper. Smart dog. After that we had to put his gifts way under the tree so he wouldn't be able to grab them.

It was hilarious at the time though.
    :gifty6

2. ponytramp

ponytramp Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class Merry Forums Member

I like opening them one at a time so that everyone can see what everyone else gets, though I do understand that this may be problematic with large families.

sugarmuffin25 likes this.
  3. Christmasplease

Christmasplease Ornament Craftsman MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Talk Alum

That’s how we do it!

sugarmuffin25, ponytramp and Dudley like this.
  4. Dudley

Dudley Sugar Cookie Tester Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

As do we

Christmasplease and ponytramp like this.
  5. Reindeer Herder

Reindeer Herder Tinsel Straightener Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

Gifts are always under and around the tree and we take turns opening them one at a time. Boy did that get easier as the kids got older!

6. lisa48317

lisa48317 Christmas Fan Merry Forums Member

All of our presents were under the tree and our stockings hung along the staircase. None of them had names, but we always knew which was ours, since Dad's was at the top, then Mom's and all of us kids' (5) by age.

We did something distantly similar to Neotericisis when we bought our house, except the big tree was still in the apartment & the little tree was in the new house, along with 1 present for each of us.

7. *Vixen*

*Vixen* Reindeer Pooper Scooper Merry Forums Member

Same here. Santa's gift was left at the end of my bed and all the other presents were under the Christmas tree.

Christmasplease likes this.
  8. *Vixen*

*Vixen* Reindeer Pooper Scooper Merry Forums Member

My childhood dog used to do this. Except, not only did she take her own gift, she would take all the gifts and open them! So it became a tradition that presents were put under the tree after midnight on Christmas.

ponytramp and Christmasplease like this.
  9. Classic Christmas

Classic Christmas Eggnog Chugger Merry Forums Member

As kids, all our presents were left under the tree, and not wrapped.

It was so magical to rush downstairs and see all the presents for myself and my two bothers - it was like system overload! Any wrapped presents that were under the tree were mostly opened Christmas Eve, as relatives would come over and we'd exchange presents and open them.

As kids, we had maybe a half-dozen presents to unwrap Christmas morning, from relatives from out of town, or ones who couldn't make it over the night before. Then we had a few more to open when we went to my aunt's for Christmas dinner.

So, growing up, the unwrapping of presents was primarily a Christmas Eve event for me. I enjoyed it that way, but when I had a child of my own we ended up wrapping her Santa presents.

I guess it's just about what you're used to. Personally, I loved running downstairs and seeing a cornucopia of unwrapped toys when a kid. My daughter, on the other hand, loved the unwrapping aspect of it all.

Christmasplease likes this.