Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Where do you look for weather predictions?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SnowDog, Aug 19, 2018.

1. SnowDog

SnowDog Reindeer Pooper Scooper MMC Member

Howdy ya'll!
    I'm hoping for a freezing cold fall and winter here in Central Florida like always but it usually doesn't happen lol. The Old Farmers Almanac is calling for a very mild winter (booo!) but they could be wrong!!! Do you look at weather predictions ahead of time? What are you hoping for?

XmasDreams likes this.
  2. XmasDreams

XmasDreams Rudolph's Groomer Christmas Crew MMC Lifer MMC Donor

Between The Old Farmers Almanac and the Harpers Famers Almanac. Taking those two helps me get an idea of what to expect. Appears for FL for the harpers one it shows Nov to be below normal and dec - Jan to be about average.

SnowDog likes this.
  3. Meceka

Meceka MMC Associate Editor Christmas Crew MMC Lifer Knights in the Service of Santa MMC Donor Louann Jeffries Award

Yes, I check The Old Farmers Almanac. I'm hoping for a winter that is not extremely cold or snowy. A rainy winter would be perfect! :)

SnowDog and XmasDreams like this.
  4. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North Christmas Crew MMC Lifer Knights in the Service of Santa MMC Donor Louann Jeffries Award

Didn't know there were so many fans of the Old Farmers' Almanac here! It's an autumn tradition for me to buy one to read. I like the articles, the long-range forecasts in rhyme, the obscure factoids in fine print ... the whole almanac thing. I grew up in Maryland, so I miss the Hagerstown Almanac, which used to give a prediction of the winter weather based on the fuzz of wooly bear caterpillars!

I enjoy snow in the winter to look at, but I really, really don't like to drive when there's snow and ice on the roads. So I'm all for snow, IF it falls and gets cleared away when I don't have to drive on it!

XmasDreams and SnowDog like this.
  5. SnowDog

SnowDog Reindeer Pooper Scooper MMC Member

Ha I've heard of the weather predictions based off of the wooly bears too!!! Too funny!!!

6. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North Christmas Crew MMC Lifer Knights in the Service of Santa MMC Donor Louann Jeffries Award

Somewhere out West there are folks who predict winter weather based on a jar of bear fat, I think.

Jeff Westover and SnowDog like this.
  7. Moley

Moley Tinsel Straightener MMC Premiere Member MMC Member

Being British I have an obsessive interest in the weather, and I can tell you this based on a lifetime's experience: There is no accurate way of predicting the weather even a few days ahead, let alone weeks or months in the future. Weather is just too chaotic with too many subtle variables for that to be possible. The weather will do what it will do, and the best thing for you to do if you anticipate adverse conditions is to prepare in advance for them.

SnowDog likes this.
  8. MerryCarey

That's true. I believe the woolly bear and bear fat type of predictions are more for entertainment than for actual planning. I certainly wouldn't plan around those predictions!

What science has at least done for us is to give us a farther-out look at what MIGHT happen ... e.g., it can flag conditions that are favorable for a hurricane, tornadoes, or a severe storm to develop, enabling us to keep an eye on the situation as it develops instead of having it come out of nowhere and catching everyone unawares, as the 1938 hurricane in New England. The weather might take a different turn at the last minute, but at least we're on alert and watching the situation.

Moley and SnowDog like this.