Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Working from home?

Discussion in 'Home & Family' started by wstaple, Mar 24, 2020.

1. wstaple

wstaple Mistletoe Hanger MMC Premiere Member

How many of your are working from home now? I'm on week #2.

What adjustments have you had to make? And what's the hardest thing about working from home for you?

My "office" for now is our bonus room. Not bad, but we didn't have a door at the entrance of the bonus room. So this past weekend I went to Home Depot and bought a rolling barn door, then put it up on Saturday. Works great. Both my wife and youngest daughter are teachers, and since they're off the house has been a bit crowded. Don't get me wrong, I love them with all my heart, but living together 24/7 can be challenging. Having the barn door has helped tremendously.

The hardest thing for me about working from home is setting boundaries. I usually go in to work at 7:00 and leave at 4:00. I'm still starting work at 7:00, but it's sometimes hard to quite right at 4:00. I looked up the other day and realized it was 6:15 PM.

2. tbutler

tbutler Tim Butler, North Pole IT Consultant Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

Second week for me as well. I work from home once a week anyway, so this is not a huge change. I work on the couch for the first couple of hours of the day and then move up to my bedroom after dear wife is up and out. My bed is my office most days, and my dogs are my staff.

It’s super weird working at home every day. The hours and the days are kind of blending together. Kind of surreal.

3. Minta

Minta Charles Dickens' Editor MMC Lifer Christmas Crew

I am working a few 1/2 days in the office and the rest from home/on call.

4. ballcoach

ballcoach Sugar Cookie Tester MMC Lifer

I will start really working from home a lot next week. This is technically spring break, but it still has been full of work. Just a lot to do and a lot going on....

I am writing a letter to our faculty about working at home...any challenges you have faced, warnings, tips you might share?

5. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award Kringle Radio DJ

Week #2 for me, and it's somewhat of a hassle. I've gotten into the routine of setting up the card table and marking up errors digitally. What irks me is that because I'm home, it's not clear exactly when I go "off duty." Went online at 9 a.m. yesterday, told I was released at 7 p.m., then a lot of back-and-forth about another job or two coming in, back online at 8:40, and finally released at 9:10 p.m.

My wish: to totally unplug from the work grid for the evening so I can relax, as I'm on high alert all day waiting for jobs and jumping on them when they come in. But, as we're all well aware, it's much better to be still working and stressed than to be laid off. It's just another thing to live with during the crisis.

ballcoach likes this.
  6. prancer

prancer Rudolph's Groomer MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

I am working from home but only 2 days a week as i am just back to work after a health issue