Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Wrapping Paper, Bags & Tags, What Do You Use?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Fire_Goddess, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Fire_Goddess

Fire_Goddess Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class MMC Premiere Member

What do you use to wrap gifts?
    We used to use a lot of paper (I find that it's more fun to open a gift if it's in paper), but now we use a lot of bags (easier, more budget friendly, better for the environment).

How many rolls of Christmas wrapping paper do you all have? Do you get new stuff every year?
    Tonight I counted and we have 35 rolls of paper. We don't usually buy new stuff.

MsRose, Holiday and snowflake22 like this.
  2. novelist

novelist Santa's Sleigh Designer MMC Lifer

Currently, we have 37 rolls of wrapping paper. If I have a few small gifts to give someone, I wrap the gifts, and put them in a gift bag. I never give unwrapped gifts in a gift bag. I only buy wrapping paper, cards, tags, after Christmas. I see no point in paying full price, when I don't need it right away anyway. We usually pick up a few rolls of wrapping paper every year.

3. Coen

Coen Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class MMC Premiere Member

We usually use wrapping paper. Because we do not really buy for Christmas but for Sinterklaas (on December 5th) and it is a tradition to deliver the presents in a big sack for them to be picked out and handed to their recipients it is kind of handy to use paper, otherwise things could fall out.

4. Fire_Goddess

We're bought gift wrap after Christmas too. I agree that it's a much better deal.

5. Fire_Goddess

I'm not familiar with Sinterklaas. If you exchange gifts on the 5th, do you do anything on the 25th?

snowflake22, MsRose and Holiday like this.
  6. Coen

Coen Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class MMC Premiere Member

It's not celebrated in most other countries, though Belgium and (in some places) Germany celebrates it as well. Sinterklaas is, in large part, the inspiration for Santa's appearance as well.

Whether or not people give presents on the 25th differs from family to family. When I was young, the tradition was to give presents on the 5th and to largely skip giving presents during Christmas, but that was already changing at that point. Nowadays, families celebrate both feasts if they want to and if they can afford it. Others just celebrate Christmas or Sinterklaas with presents or they mix it, giving some presents on December 5th and the rest on December 25th.

joyful, MsRose, Fire_Goddess and 2 others like this.
  7. Holiday

Holiday North Pole Resident MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum

This is interesting ~ thanks for sharing! I never realized that. So I guess your Sinterklaas is the same as our St. Nick which is December 6th, but many receive their St. Nick presents &/or candy on the Eve (December 5th)! :)

8. Holiday

Holiday North Pole Resident MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum

I use both wrapping paper & bags, pending on the size & shape of the present. And time ~ if I'm running out of the house & I need a gift & don't have it wrapped yet, it's going in a bag w/ some pretty tissue paper! ;) I don't generally use tags, unless it's the tag attached to a gift bag.

9. mommytotwo

mommytotwo Dang Near Santa Himself MMC Lifer

I like to wrap my gifts, and like having an assortment of different wrapping paper. But when needed, I use decorative gift bags. For hard to wrap items, I use tissue paper, and cello. Top it off with a nice bow, just like you would with a gift basket.

10. MsRose

MsRose Christmas Card Fanatic MMC Donor Merry Forums Member

The last few years I've used gift bags and tissue paper, we recycle the gift bags as long as they're in good shape
    I buy a lot of wrapping paper rolls after Christmas and give them to a kids charity I'm involved with the beginning of every December.

Fire_Goddess, joyful and snowflake22 like this.
  11. sgrover

sgrover MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

Mostly wrapping paper. My kids are such snoops, if I put their gifts in bags under the tree, there'd be no surprises on Christmas Eve. I do use gift bags at other times, for birthdays, or baby showers. But for Christmas, it's wrapping paper. I used up most of mine last year, so I'll get to buy a bunch of new stuff this year. If I remember, I'll grab some after Christmas when it is on sale. I obviously didn't think to do it last year.

Fire_Goddess and joyful like this.
  12. joyful

joyful MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

I use both gift bags and wrapping paper. Most of the time it depends on the type of gift. For gift tags I've been using old Christmas cards from previous Christmas. I just cut off the front and use what I can. I make a punch hole in it and use pretty ribbon to attach. It's kinda fun so I enjoy it.

Fire_Goddess and novelist like this.
  13. Petronius

Petronius Sugar Cookie Tester Merry Forums Member

I use wrapping paper.