Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Your young Christmas

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Christmasplease, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Christmasplease

Christmasplease Santa's Sleigh Designer MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Talk Alum

If I could go back and ask for a Christmas tradition my parents didn’t follow, it would be to have stockings. I made sure to do stockings for my kids.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    sugarmuffin25 and Lynn68 like this.
  2. Lynn68

Lynn68 Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class MMC Lifer

Growing up, we always had stockings hung on the fireplace. The presents inside were individually wrapped to make the stocking even more fun to open. My hubby had stockings as a child, but the presents inside were not wrapped. In fact, he'd never heard of it. So our first year together, I explained it to him and of course he loved the idea since he hadn't had a stocking in years. We made each other stockings with the presents all wrapped inside, and had a blast opening them. Every year since, we've done it for each other and open them before the presents under the Christmas tree.

3. Christmasplease

Christmasplease Santa's Sleigh Designer MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Talk Alum

That’s so cool!

sugarmuffin25 and Lynn68 like this.
  4. sugarmuffin25

sugarmuffin25 Christmas Fanatic Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

If I could choose a tradition that we didn't do growing up but I wish we had it would be getting a live tree. We always had an artificial one, which was fine, but once I met my husband we started getting a live tree every year and I LOVE the tradition of going out and choosing a tree together. And, that smell in the house is something you can't reproduce. I think I would have enjoyed that tradition as a child.

5. Christmasplease

Nice!

How long can you keep a live tree?

6. sugarmuffin25

sugarmuffin25 Christmas Fanatic Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

We always get our live tree the day after Thanksgiving, or the day before if we can find a farm open, but most aren't. And it lasts until the last week of December. We go out of town to visit family for New Years eve, and we always take the live tree down before we go because it is too dry by then and it makes me nervous but we keep all of the artificial trees up until we get home from our trip.

Christmasplease likes this.