Great Debate: Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

ElfBot

MMC Newshound
Oct 17, 2005
By Jeff Westover (Author bias: I’m completely neutral in this debate –honestly. If given the chance, I’d gladly scream ‘Merry Christmas’ at the most ardent anti-Christmas freak out there, especially if I knew it would turn them purple with rage. It is not that I enjoy making people angry but...

More from My Merry Christmas...

Reactions: 2 people

snowflake22

*Harlowe's Mom*
MMC Lifer
Louann Jeffries Award
Jul 10, 2011
Wisconsin
I say Merry Christmas, mostly!
But I don't mind saying Happy Holidays either to cover all beliefs, too. When I worked retail, I loved saying Merry Christmas! [emoji4] Especially to crabby customers, ha! [emoji319]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xmastidings

North Pole Resident
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Oct 5, 2010
Connecticut
When someone says to me "Have a Happy Holiday", I always reply back, "and you have a Merry Christmas as well!!!".

That pretty much sums it up for me......:-D

Reactions: 1 person

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
I like to hear Merry Christmas ... in fact, between Thanksgiving and Christmas I like to wear a little Merry Christmas pin to let people know it's okay to say "the C word" to me without offense.

But I don't take exception to Happy Holidays. To me, that means someone is trying to be sensitive and not offend by citing the wrong holiday. And it encompasses Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, and anything else that falls in November or December, so I'm pleased to be included in all those!

brent

Charles Dickens' Editor
MMC Lifer
Santa's Elf
Sep 30, 2008
Ottawa
I celebrate Christmas. I am not (in the least bit) religious. I love saying "Merry Christmas." If I say "Merry Christmas" to you, please inform me what you celebrate. I'd really enjoy hearing "Happy Hanukkah," or "Happy Kwanza" as a response. And, of course, I hope your celebrations are as merry and bright as mine.

jeffagipson

Merry Forums Newbie
MMC Member
Nov 14, 2014
I'm ambivalent about it. I usually say "Happy Holidays." To me that actually means "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year." I know this could include other holidays, but for me that's incidental.

I don't begrudge anyone their holiday, and I don't think that it is in the spirit of Christmas to be all bent out of shape when someone is actually wishing you a happy holiday.

HollyJolly

Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Jul 10, 2013
Christmas Station
www.twitter.com
To me this has always been about pettiness. Really? We are going to get bent out of shape when someone wishes us some form of happiness? People never cease to amaze me for their craft and guile (not to mention gall) at looking for ways to disparage and divide. I try not to watch or read or otherwise take the bait. Some people just are not happy unless they're unhappy. I'll try, but if I get the same reason you got, I'm moving on. I always hope there is a way to reach anyone...but I'm also realistic enough to know there is a subset of our population that thrives on hostility. "Ain't nobody got time for that."

Harleygrandma

Christmas Fan
MMC Member
Nov 18, 2014
It will always be Merry Christmas, Happy Thanksgiving, or Happy New Year to me. In the area if St Louis where I grew up we never heard anything different. The Jewish people all said the same to us and and so did the blacks. If they did not believe they just smiled and said hello. But I realize that was 50 years ago and the world is changing. It is still a free country and you have the right to greet people anyway you choose. If they get offended they missed the whole point of the season. It's not what you call it it's how you feel it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RadioJonD

♪♫~Guru of Yule Audio~♫♪
MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Santa's Elf
Christmas Talk Alum
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2005
Moon Winx Motor Lodge
radiojond.tumblr.com
RJD soapbox time!

Don't complain! Bogus issues like this keep the real problems of the world from view! That's what we really want. Right?

When one picks and chooses a side from any of the fabricated "hot button" (whatever that means) issues constantly pushed in our faces by talk radio, all news television networks, political parties, social media, online blogs and forums, and yes, even religion (look how much AFA rakes in from the topic at hand), humanity looses.

Don't believe me? Follow the money. Look to see who profits most from shoveled drivel. Example, if solving world hunger was truly profitable, wouldn't a soul on earth be wanting for food! (Ah, but once everyone is properly feed, the profit would be gone.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image