Non Traditional Thanksgiving meal?

joyfulheart

Tinsel Straightener
MMC Member
Sep 22, 2007
My family has decided that they want a non-traditional, casual, different Thanksgiving this year. My DH, my kids, and dad both can't stand turkey, so this year they voted to do something else.

Oh, and it's at my house too. (I was outvoted. LOL)

So what is a non-tradtional meal we can have?

Lasagna?
mexican food?
BBQ?
Burgers?

Lots of possiblities, but not much that is easy to prepare (not too expensive like steaks for everyone or anything), etc..

6-8 adults and 3-6 kids

We'll also be inviting our neighbors who are from Hungary and have no family here. Of course, the nontraditional Thanksgiving might totally confuse them, but oh well! LOL

MerrySouthernChristmas

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Feb 19, 2007
Once, my friends did ribs for Thanksgiving, and here in texas, it's not too cold to do it around thanksgiving!

Annette

Christmas Princess
MMC Lifer
Oct 2, 2007
Washington
Maybe scallop potatoes and ham with a veggie or green salad and dinner rolls...feeds quite a few on the cheap. It's tasty and filling. Add a couple desserts and wala' dinner is served=)

MerrySouthernChristmas

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Feb 19, 2007
Hmm....

I don't know about you, but whenever family comes over on sunday, our dinner usally ends up being burgers or something on the grill. Maybe some bar-b-q chicken and grilled squash?

maurakl

Christmas Fan
MMC Member
Sep 11, 2006
We do mexican for Christmas

I make enchiladas and then we have all the fixins for tacos, burritos, nachos, etc. You have lots of options and people can make them how they like them, so everyone can be happy!

Maura

Sunshine73

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 26, 2005
Illinois
Lasagna would be a good option. Feeds a lot of people, relatively simple to make and most everyone likes it. Also, it's easy to add side dishes (salad, garlic bread, etc.).

MerrySouthernChristmas

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Feb 19, 2007
Why don't you choose a specific country and do some specific dishes from where ever you choose?

Head Elf

Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant
MMC Lifer
MMC Emeritus Member
Christmas Talk Alum
Jul 8, 2007
N.E. Arizona
How about Prime Rib? It takes as long as turkey but it tastes way better...... I hate turkey. Thanksgiving is to close to my birthday and I usually have roast beef or prime rib for the dinner.

act_as_if

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 20, 2007
Orion, Illinois
I don't like turkey either. So we have turkey, and ham. And, of course all the other dishes. So, why not try your favorite meat dish, instead of turkey, and have the other traditional thanksgiving dishes.

Last edited:

mrspenguin

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 24, 2007
Connecticut
We had prime rib last year at my moms and it was amazing!!!! My husband was in his glory. We alwaays have lasagna on Christmas eve b/c it is my dh fav and it's his b-day. But I couldn't imaging having anything else on Thanksgiving... Does you family just dislike turkey or all te fixings too? B/c if it was just the turkey maybe you could just choose a diffenet main course, like ham and I would have to say try the prime rib idea can still have all the fixings and still really good.

SparkleNana

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
May 19, 2008
It will be great for your family to have something they enjoy eating on Thanksgiving.

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image