Jeff Westover

Chief Elf Officer
MMC Founder
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2004
Cache Valley, Utah
jeffwestover.com
My wife is a purist and this year she outdid herself, refusing to use anything canned for Thanksgiving. The pumpkin pies were made from actual sugar pumpkins. That yams were...yam good, the real deal, not from a can. The cranberry sauce was made by hand and was out of this world. Everything was done by scratch.

I dare say we'll never go back, it was THAT good.

Reactions: 2 people

Adam

Formally xrockchild
MMC Member
Apr 11, 2010
California
Wow that is amazing. She must be pretty talented to do that! I have always wanted to do pumpkin pie from scratch. I still love cranberry in a can hee hee

TwinkleLights25

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 8, 2006
USA
Wow, good for her! And you! :) That probably took more time that using canned too

Gingerbug

Partner, <a href="http://www.magicalholidayhome.co
MMC Emeritus Member
Christmas Crew
Oct 2, 2007
Missouri, USA
Sounds wonderful...I too am trying more from scratch...less boxed or canned approach....doubt I'm quite at her level yet...but ...I'm trying....that way I know EXACTLY what's in the food...and its yummy too.

I hope she got LOTS of compliments!!

hilarios

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 10, 2008
Wisconsin
Sounds ridiculously good! I hope you enjoy the leftovers.... if there is any!

Seawaters

MMC Christmas Angel 1954-2020
MMC Lifer
MMC Emeritus Member
Jun 8, 2008
California
www.southernchristmasnights.com
I've done it that way so many times, but now, I do the pies and the cranberry sauce; but the yams--no way!!!

Cherylle in CA

My wife is a purist and this year she outdid herself, refusing to use anything canned for Thanksgiving. The pumpkin pies were made from actual sugar pumpkins. That yams were...yam good, the real deal, not from a can. The cranberry sauce was made by hand and was out of this world. Everything was done by scratch.

I dare say we'll never go back, it was THAT good.

GingerMel

Ornament Craftsman
MMC Lifer
Nov 1, 2006
Clinton, CT
I rarely ever use anything processed at all but I will occasionally throw in a canned item or two (NEVER EVER cranberry sauce though).

I think we might have used canned yams and that's about it this year.

I didn't make my own stock for brining the turkey but I did make enough for the gravy.

SO what I'm saying is...I'm with ya!

JanaBanana

*The Christmas Queen* -- Hostess,
MMC Member
Jul 29, 2007
The ONE and ONLY item that is from a can for me is the pumpkin.. everything I always make from scratch. :)

momnan30

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Feb 15, 2008
Wisconsin
Now this is strong work! I made a valiant attempt at this myself because of all the hoopla about the BPA in the liners of the cans, BUT I caved in to the pumpkin in the can. I just couldn't muster the strength to do the whole pumpkin cleaning, scrape, puree thing.
I am impressed! It sounds spectacular!

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image