Sweet Potato ideas

jenifour13

Christmas Fan
MMC Member
Oct 17, 2006
New Jersey
Anyone wish to share their favorite way to make (or eat) these for Thanksgiving? I've made them in the past but would love to hear how others like them.

Thanks!!

Sunshine73

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 26, 2005
Illinois
I make mine just the plain old boring way. I use canned yams, drained. Put them in a baking dish and top with butter and brown sugar. Personally, I think they taste nasty but everyone in the family loves the way I make them.

Ms_Speedy_Elf

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 13, 2008
What about a sweet potato pie .cheesy

Jeff Westover

Chief Elf Officer
MMC Founder
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2004
Cache Valley, Utah
jeffwestover.com
We always make it fresh -- steamed, of course.. And then we use See's "Scotch Kisses" with some butter on them. Everyone loves them but to me it is definitely one of those compliment things -- kind of like the cranberry sauce. You know how great cranberry tastes with turkey? Sweet potatoes are the same way.

Holiday

MMC Christmas Angel 1971-2020
Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
These are like dessert:

La Comedia's Famous Sweet Potato Soufflé Recipe

4 cups mashed sweet potatoes
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 stick butter or margarine (melted)
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix well
Pour into buttered pan

Topping: 1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup butter or margarine (melted)
1 cup pecans

Crumble topping evenly over potato mixture. Bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes uncovered.

Click here for their DELICIOUS Pineapple Soufflé:
http://www.lacomedia.com/pineapple_souffle_recipe.htm

JanaBanana

*The Christmas Queen* -- Hostess,
MMC Member
Jul 29, 2007
Fresh yams, about 1/4 cup orange juice, about 1/4 cup Karo Syrup, 1/2 Cup brown sugar and sometimes a little Almond extract... cook up... then about 15 minutes before dinner we add marshmellows on top and bake in oven till golden brown. :D

Ms_Speedy_Elf

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 13, 2008
Holiday that sounds yummy!!!!!!!!!:hello:

joyful

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 25, 2006
northeast USA
I just take a yam, wrap it in foil and bake it, ummmmm it's the best. To serve I cut it open, put on some butter, brown sugar and cinnamon and enjoy. I have found doing them in the microwave is not the same. I also subst. Splenda for the brown sugar and it's still good.
My husband does not eat them so this works best for me and he can have his tastless white potatoes. To me they are tastless and have very little nutrition value compared to a yam. But he won't switch though I try.

jenifour13

Christmas Fan
MMC Member
Oct 17, 2006
New Jersey
Thanks so much for the great ideas and definitly keep them coming! :) I am so excited to do Thanksgiving dinner for the first time!

snowytree

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 16, 2008
GA
Sweet potato casserole, sweet potato pie, mashed sweet potatoes.Sometimes I just eat one baked and put butter and pepper on it. I love sweet potatoes and will eat them at other times of the year if they are priced decent.

Annette

Christmas Princess
MMC Lifer
Oct 2, 2007
Washington
Sweet potato casserole, sweet potato pie, mashed sweet potatoes.Sometimes I just eat one baked and put butter and pepper on it. I love sweet potatoes and will eat them at other times of the year if they are priced decent.
This restaurant here in town has sweet potato fries now and again and they are really yummy.

Seawaters

MMC Christmas Angel 1954-2020
MMC Lifer
MMC Emeritus Member
Jun 8, 2008
California
www.southernchristmasnights.com
Jeff,
Do you put butter on the potatoes and then put the Scotch Kisses on top? Do you bake that so the marshmallows melt? I've never used Scotch Kisses before, but they sound yum-o!

pkcrafty

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 30, 2008
Pueblo, Colorado
I peel about 5 medium sweet potatoes, slice them lengthwise into about 6 wedges. In a frying pan I melt a stick of butter and stir in a cup of brown sugar over medium heat. I put the wedges on top of this mixture, then cover them. Every couple of minutes I stir them and cook until they are soft, about 15/20 minutes and the butter and brown sugar has made a nice caramel like sauce. Ummmmmmm!
My husband likes to cube and boil sweet potatoes in a large pot of water with cinnamon red hots added. When they are soft, he adds a stick of butter, a hand ful of brown sugar and a few more red hots and mashes this mixture until smooth; puts it in a casserole dish, layers the top of the mixture w/ marshmallows and browns it in the oven. cheesy

MrsH

MMC Emeritus
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 22, 2006
Sunny Florida
I, personally, have never met a sweet potato that I didn't like. cheesy

snowytree

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 16, 2008
GA
This restaurant here in town has sweet potato fries now and again and they are really yummy.

Yes I agree, they are very good! I have bought some frozen from the store and made them at home as well.:)

GingerMel

Ornament Craftsman
MMC Lifer
Nov 1, 2006
Clinton, CT
I, personally, have never met a sweet potato that I didn't like. cheesy
yeah...meeeee tooo.

If you wanted to be a little different, you could make sweet potato french fries. We do this and they are actually baked rather than fried.

We cut them into steak fry-type pieces, then coat them with olive oil, salt, pepper, and cumin (or chili powder or cinnamon, depending on our mood), then roast them in a single layer on a cookie sheet at like 375. We turn them half way through, then eat them with ketchup (not the cinnamon ones).

They are outstanding!

whitexmas

Mistletoe Hanger
MMC Member
Nov 4, 2005
Iowa
For sweet potatoes here is something i've made the past 2 or 3 years. Sweet potatoe fries with a basil - garlic salt on top. Just buy some sweet potatoes. Cut in half, then again, and so on till you get fry sized wedges. Drizzle with lots of olive oil and salt and pepper. Bake in oven at about 375 degrees, for about 30 minutes, or until easily pierced with fork. You could turn the broiler on for a few minutes and put them under there to get browned and a lil crunchy if you like them that way, (i do!). Then cut up a few cloves of garlic and a bunch of fresh basil and add to a bowl with about a tsp. of kosher salt. Sprinkle mixture over the fresh and hot sweet potatoe fries. Yummy!

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image