Thanksgiving Eve

snowytree

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 16, 2008
GA
I know we always talk about what we do for Christmas Eve..but what about the day before Thanksgiving? Does anyone do anything in particular, or maybe have any traditions for it?

TamaraQT

Sugar Cookie Tester
MMC Lifer
Oct 11, 2009
New Jersey
Well lets see.....usually after work, I stop by the grocery store to pick up last minute items. Its usually a chance to absorb the excitement of the hustle and bustle of the upcoming holiday. Afterwards, I go home and prepare most of my side dish items and prep my turkey. I think Thanksgiving eve is the real kickoff of the holiday season for me. As I cook, I am browsing some of the sales for black friday shopping. Thats my tradition. Nothing special, but I do enjoy it.

Christmas-A-Holic

MMC Goodwill Ambassador
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Santa's Elf
Jun 21, 2009
Deep in the Heart of Texas!
Good question! I love the day before Thanksgiving. My daughter and I join in the kitchen together playing Christmas music and prepare side dishes and desserts for the big day.

made582

MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Apr 15, 2009
Greenfield, Indiana
I listen to christmas music all day and work in the kitchen all afternoon fixing side dishes. I make macaroni salad, baked corn, green bean casserole, and brocolli rice casserole. Then that evening we go out to my sisters and get the turkey ready because my sister refuses to touch raw meat. My mom makes the stuffing and I inject the turkey and put my herbed butter under the skin. Then we stuff it and put it in the pan so all my sister has to do is get up in the morning and put it in the oven. Then it is home to get a good nights sleep.

whitney37354

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
Jan 16, 2009
Tennessee
We work all day Wednesday. That night, DH makes pumpkin pies to take to his parent's house Thanksgiving morning. I'm going behind him cleaning up the kitchen as he's cooking so we aren't left with a mess. There have been years when we've gone to a Thanksgiving service at church, putting pie making late in the evening---not good for DH since I'm going to bed!

I try to watch Thanksgiving tv---last year Cosby Show episodes were on tv. Other years I watch Charlie Brown Thanksgiving. Every year I watch the kiddie parade at the Fantasy of Trees on the local newscast. There are daycare groups and a band in the little indoor "parade" and Santa is at the end. Even before I had a child, I would cry every year, watching those precious little kids walking in the parade and waving!

Silverbells

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 28, 2008
Philadelphia Pa. USA
Well usually i'm at work for the first half of the day. I might get home around 1 or 1:30 than we start to go over everything we brought from the market the day before and do a quick once over of things we may still need fro the market. We divide up the cleaning and cooking duties. Whoever has to clean the house we let them do their job first, than my mom and I and some of my sisters if their at my house get in the kitchen and start to prep the food. Basically we clean and cut up veggies, clean the meats and prepare any marinades we may need and do the baking the day before Thanksgiving. Than on Thanksgiving day thats when we start the real cooking. This may seem like alot of work but its fun because my family is there to help. cheesy

joyful

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 25, 2006
northeast USA
I usually do things that I can do early for the Thanksgiving dinner the next day. I will get my table ready making it larger; I will put on the tablecloth and the centerpiece, then I will set the dishes on the table and make sure there's enough chairs around the table.
I will get out any cooking apparel that I will be using for the next day. I will chop foods that can be done and put in the fridge until the next day. I sometimes will make my pies so then my oven is free for the Turkey breast the next morning. And whatever else I can find to do that I can do early.

lauriebear777

Limited Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 25, 2009
Long Island (NY)
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the day before Thanksgiving, I get way excited!!! I wish I had a big family to spend it with but, that's OK. I have to work that day, but usually my boss let's us go early. When I do get home I usually start making my pies, pumpkin and apple, while one is baking I set up the sides, I also make the cranberry mold. I usually start making some things Monday or Tuesday night, like the stuffing, and the stuffed mushrooms I also make at that time. I just LOVE the week of Thanksgiving!!!

Minta

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Oct 10, 2004
South NJ
I will be spending the first part of the day cleaning. With 2 young kids the house does not stay clean for long :wink: I will spend the second half of the day making the pies, prepping the veggies for the side dishes, assembling the french toast casserole and the pepperoni breads that will be baked first thing Thanksgiving morning. The whole time I will have Christmas music playing the coffee pot going.

That night when it's time to tuck the kids into bed we will read Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving!

lauriebear777

Limited Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 25, 2009
Long Island (NY)
I will be spending the first part of the day cleaning. With 2 young kids the house does not stay clean for long :wink: I will spend the second half of the day making the pies, prepping the veggies for the side dishes, assembling the french toast casserole and the pepperoni breads that will be baked first thing Thanksgiving morning. The whole time I will have Christmas music playing the coffee pot going.

That night when it's time to tuck the kids into bed we will read Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving!
Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving, where did you find that???

Murphman

Santa Beagle
MMC Lifer
Jun 16, 2009
NC
I love the day before Thanksgiving so much I give my entire staff the day off with pay so they can have a five day weekend. When I am hosting, I spend the day preparing 2/3 of the meal. However I stopped hosting a few years ago when we were building our new house and now with a new baby, I just can't seem to get back into it...yet. Maybe next year.

My wife still has to work that day in the morning so I will probably just hang out around the house in my PJs with my kids and read books.

Courtney

Makin' A Comeback!
MMC Lifer
Jul 21, 2008
Home
We usually get any desserts made and the house cleaned. This year my daughter and I will be making pumpkin breads (w/choco. chips), butter pecan cake, cookies and the usual pies. I can't wait!
:piggyback:

Minta

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Oct 10, 2004
South NJ
Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving, where did you find that???

I ordered it from a website several years ago. It's a cute story about a family getting ready for Thanksgiving. My DD has the book memorized, she loves it!

snowytree

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 16, 2008
GA
I ordered it from a website several years ago. It's a cute story about a family getting ready for Thanksgiving. My DD has the book memorized, she loves it!

I will have to check that out!:)

bigbearfla58

Mistletoe Hanger
MMC Lifer
Jan 14, 2008
My tradition for Thanksgiving Eve is to make my stuffing, try not to eat to much of it, cut up my vegetables and bake off pies. I Set up the main dining room and the buffet table. Then I make myself a cup of tea and look over my Thanksgiving Road Map one more time.

snowytree

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 16, 2008
GA
My tradition for Thanksgiving Eve is to make my stuffing, try not to eat to much of it,

LOL, that is too funny..

B

ballcoach

I love Thanksgiving Eve....b/c I'm off work!!! First thing I do is I cook a breakfast....Blueberry Cake with homemade icing.....umm...let the wife eat some and then I take it to the police station here in town....after that...I get all the extention cords run for the Christmas lights and turn it all on just so that whenever the wife gets home...she will see it...after that the fun starts....

I get into the house and turn on the tree and music and begin cooking! last year I made so much and I snacked so much I darn near made myself sick! I had to stop for a while and go sleep it off....I love it because of the anticipation of being with all the family and friends will usually stop by during the day and visit.....fun fun fun fun fun.....and I also like it because it's like the kickoff for everyone else to join us in the Christmas spirit!

momnan30

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Feb 15, 2008
Wisconsin
I usually am exhausted from getting the meal put together and cleaning the house. I have to control myself if any of the wise guys I live with ask me, "what's for dinner?" It's every man for himself on Wednesday night before Thanksgiving! So, yeah, not much going on here except trying to keep my cool for the upcoming frenzy the next day!

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image